George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion

FloatingFatMan
4 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Yep, but I'm honestly not all that surprised by the verdict from the jurors. From the evidence we've seen, the charges brought were spot on and I didn't see it going any other way. Though perhaps that is more-so with how high-profile this case was, but I give the jury the benefit of the doubt that the looming threat of mass protests and riots and other potential biases were set aside to do justice here. I do hope the sentencing is sufficient, and that people truly feel justice is served on this one.

Whilst I fully agree that they came to the CORRECT verdict, you and I both know that there was no way that this ex-cop was going to get a thoroughly unbiased and fair trial, due to the nature of the case.  If any verdict other than guilty had been returned there would have been mass riots and potentially dozens or hundreds could have died in the carnage, not to mention millions in property damage.

So, though I thoroughly agree with the verdict anyway, Chauvin has become very much a sacrificial lamb in this case.  There was no way he was ever going to escape a guilty verdict once this case got so large and if a guilty verdict disarms rioters and has a positive affect on future police interactions with suspects, then it's a good thing in the end.

• Like 2
+Dick Montage
7 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

the charges brought were spot on

7 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

the looming threat of mass protests and riots and other potential biases were set aside to do justice here

I get the impression that the charges were absolutely spot on and not "showcased" and the jury were well briefed on how to impartially try a case.

+Dick Montage
5 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Chauvin has become very much a sacrificial lamb in this case

I mean, the ownership of that needs to be on him, for kneeling of a person's neck and ignoring their pleas that they couldn't breathe.  And, I guess the case proves, it is.

If the police deliberately overstep like this, then there SHOULD be riots and protests.  To my mind this reinforces how correct the verdict and potential outcomes were.

FloatingFatMan
9 minutes ago, Dick Montage said:

I mean, the ownership of that needs to be on him, for kneeling of a person's neck and ignoring their pleas that they couldn't breathe.  And, I guess the case proves, it is.

If the police deliberately overstep like this, then there SHOULD be riots and protests.  To my mind this reinforces how correct the verdict and potential outcomes were.

I think the big tell will be what happens to the other 4 officers that will be tried after Chauvin.

• Like 2
+Dick Montage
2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I think the big tell will be what happens to the other 4 officers that will be tried after Chauvin.

Mate, you probably nailed the global sentiment there without even realising.  Without looking it up, name them...  People probably can't and that speaks volumes.

• Like 1
+Jester124
1 hour ago, Dick Montage said:

Mate, you probably nailed the global sentiment there without even realising.  Without looking it up, name them...  People probably can't and that speaks volumes.

Yup, they have all fallen out of the news cycle... I only remember them as I live in the twin cities and see the names here, but on a national or global scale, they are nowhere to be seen. That should change now with the conviction though. Or so I hope.

• Like 1
DocM

A few impressions,

1) NOT over-charged. 

2) This case was all about the videos; CopCams for sure, but most of all the one we saw hundreds of times - shot by a 17 year old high school girl. She needs to win every news photo/video award there is.

3) The Worst Lawyer of the Year Award goes to his lawyer for showing that video again during his summation. Really? 🤪

4) The Least Helpful Politicians Award has two winners; Rep. Maxine Waters (CA) and Rep. Rashida Tliab (MI), whose baiting was so bad they drew fire from all directions, Rep. Waters by  the judge in this case. 

Edited by DocM
Astra.Xtreme

Correct results from the court room.  Wrong reaction by some of our political "leaders".  Floyd didn't sacrifice his life; he was murdered. And this case isn't proof of systematic racism; race was not a factor in this legal case.

Though, not surprised the clowns in charge would say ridiculous things like that.  All in the name of keeping us divided...

• Thanks 1
DocM
3 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Correct results from the court room.  Wrong reaction by some of our political "leaders".  Floyd didn't sacrifice his life; he was murdered. And this case isn't proof of systematic racism; race was not a factor in this legal case.

Though, not surprised the clowns in charge would say ridiculous things like that.  All in the name of keeping us divided...

Reps. Tliab and Waters were despicable, to the point Detroit's PD Chief Craig tore into both of them on national TV. Tore 'em new ones. Much of Detroit is in Tliab's district.

• 2 weeks later...
Steven P.

George Floyd killer Derek Chauvin asks for new trial

The white former Minneapolis police officer convicted last month of the murder of the black man George Floyd has requested a new trial.

Derek Chauvin's legal team have filed court documents alleging misconduct by both prosecutors and jurors.

Chauvin, who was captured on video kneeling on Mr Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes, was found guilty of murder and manslaughter.

His lawyer says his client was deprived of a fair trial.

The rare verdict against a police officer was considered a milestone in the racial history of the US and was widely applauded by Americans. Chauvin faces up to 40 years in prison.

He will be sentenced next month.

This was to be expected, but also specifically due to:

What is the controversy about the juror?

Supporters of Chauvin have pointed to juror Brandon Mitchell, who was pictured last August at an event in Washington held on the 57th anniversary of the civil rights movement's historic March on Washington.

The event included a Get Your Knee Off Our Necks protest at which speakers including Martin Luther King's son demanded racial equality. Mr Mitchell was pictured wearing a T-shirt bearing the slogan "Get your knee off our necks" and "BLM", referring to the Black Lives Matter movement.

Jurors in the Chauvin case were asked before the trial whether they or people they knew well had "participated in protests about police use of force or police brutality".

Mr Mitchell - the only juror in the trial to give media interviews - says he answered no to that question.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56989757

FloatingFatMan
51 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

This was to be expected, but also specifically due to:

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56989757

Sometimes a fair trial is absolutely impossible to get, and this is such a time.  This whole case is FAR too public and well known that a completely fair trial isn't attainable, not even if he were tried in another country.  All you can do is hope that the jurors are honest enough to work only on the evidence presented and not stuff they learned previously.

• Like 2
Emn1ty
10 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Sometimes a fair trial is absolutely impossible to get, and this is such a time.  This whole case is FAR too public and well known that a completely fair trial isn't attainable, not even if he were tried in another country.  All you can do is hope that the jurors are honest enough to work only on the evidence presented and not stuff they learned previously.

I'm just curious if the juror deliberately hid that information. Because he may have very well undermined the entire trial. How frustrating.

adrynalyne
10 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I'm just curious if the juror deliberately hid that information. Because he may have very well undermined the entire trial. How frustrating.

Would be an odd thing to forget and accidently not disclose.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Jim K

Darnella Frazier, the 17 year old who recorded George Floyd's murder, was awarded a special citation by the Pulitzer Board a little over a week ago (June 11).

https://www.pulitzer.org/winners/darnella-frazier

For courageously recording the murder of George Floyd, a video that spurred protests against police brutality around the world, highlighting the crucial role of citizens in journalists' quest for truth and justice.

From NPR...

Darnella Frazier, Who Filmed George Floyd's Murder, Wins An Honorary Pulitzer

Darnella Frazier, who was 17 when she recorded George Floyd's murder in Minneapolis last year, was awarded a special citation by the Pulitzer Board on Friday.

The video played a major role in igniting a global protest movement against police violence, and was used as evidence in the trial of Floyd's killer.

Committee officials who give out the prestigious prize in journalism and the arts said Frazier's recording highlighted "the crucial role of citizens in journalists' quests for truth and justice."

Frazier, who is Black, recently said she was proud of herself for recording Floyd's murder even though it became a "traumatic life-changing experience" for her in the aftermath.

//

• Like 2
FloatingFatMan
14 hours ago, Jim K said:

Darnella Frazier, the 17 year old who recorded George Floyd's murder, was awarded a special citation by the Pulitzer Board a little over a week ago (June 11).

https://www.pulitzer.org/winners/darnella-frazier

From NPR...

Now, I know full well that I'm going to get lynched in here for this BUT I gotta ask...  What's so courageous about filming someone getting arrested by the police?  Remember, at the time she started filming, no one had a clue those cops were going to murder Floyd, so she literally just filmed it and probably planned to post it up on Facebook later for more anti-police commentary.  She couldn't possibly have known what would end up happening, so where's the courage?

Courage in journalism is going into a dangerous situation to record it, knowing you're putting yourself at risk.  This was not that.

Steven P.
4 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Now, I know full well that I'm going to get lynched in here for this BUT I gotta ask...  What's so courageous about filming someone getting arrested by the police?  Remember, at the time she started filming, no one had a clue those cops were going to murder Floyd, so she literally just filmed it and probably planned to post it up on Facebook later for more anti-police commentary.  She couldn't possibly have known what would end up happening, so where's the courage?

Courage in journalism is going into a dangerous situation to record it, knowing you're putting yourself at risk.  This was not that.

I can't seem to find it, but one time Jeremy Paxman said when signing off Newsnight that the producers had told him to suggest viewers send in their comments because people "obviously found that to be more important than well researched news by news journalists"  something along those lines though, but .. this is where we are!