George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion

Steven P.
24 minutes ago, techbeck said:

George Floyd case: Two Minneapolis cops caught on tape have history of conduct complaints

https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-floyd-case-two-minneapolis-cops-caught-on-tape-have-history-of-conduct-complaints

Looks like cops protecting cops.  4 officers fired and DOJ and FBI are looking in to the case.  Looks like heads are going to roll.   But the looting, violence, and calls for justice are totally justified since nothing is being done to hold those accountable..../s    Meanwhile, a white father, son, and the guy who filmed it are being charged with the murder of a black guy and you hear little to nothing about it.    No looting, no violence, no destruction of property.    Similar situations but I guess when cops are the people doing bad, it justifies people bad things as well.

Look I get it you are angry that dem folk be burning down stores and lootin' .. yeah it's wrong, no-one will tell you it is right except maybe a deadbeat criminal type.

But so is that backwards racism and murder by those who are supposed to be protectors of the peace. When you can't trust law enforcement just because you are black, what are you going to do? I guess I can't even place myself in that situation but I'm not so stupid that I don't know that it's completely backwards that it still happens today in America 170 years after slavery was abolished and around 50-60 years after black people fought for equal rights.

I think maybe white people should be happy they are just burning and looting stores and not murdering the police and their families, like what happened 150 years ago to certain white farmers/slave owners. Black people tell us again and again that this crap must stop, but it keeps happening, so don't be surprised if there will be tipping points either. It could be a lot worse.

• Like 5
techbeck

But so is that backwards racism and murder by those who are supposed to be protectors of the peace. When you can't trust law enforcement just because you are black, what are you going to do? I guess I can't even place myself in that situation but I'm not so stupid that I don't know that it's completely backwards that it still happens today in America 170 years after slavery was abolished and around 50-60 years after black people fought for equal rights.

I think maybe white people should be happy they are just burning and looting stores and not murdering the police and their families, like what happened 150 years ago to certain white farmers/slave owners. Black people tell us again  and again that this crap must stop, but it keeps happening, so don't be surprised if there will be tipping points either. It could be a lot worse.

Vast majority of cops are not like that.  These kind of thing has been happening all over and not just by cops.  Like the 2nd half of my post that was not quoted.  Zimmerman/Martin incident...several more. 

Not sure what people's problem is.  My family has pretty much every mix of race out there.    And my GF is Vietnamese.  Everyone is treated the same and with the same amount of respect.  And I personally find it interesting all the different cultures and ethnicity.  Food is always good/different and is a big plus.

Michael Scrip

Do we know why the cop kept George Floyd in basically a choke-hold for 10 minutes?

Isn't there a way to subdue a perpetrator that doesn't result in asphyxiation and death?

I'm just having a hard time finding a reason to stand on someone's neck for ANY period of time. 

wakjak

the cops certainly aren't helping themselves with this one....

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
adrynalyne
4 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

Do we know why the cop kept George Floyd in basically a choke-hold for 10 minutes?

Isn't there a way to subdue a perpetrator that doesn't result in asphyxiation and death?

I'm just having a hard time finding a reason to stand on someone's neck for ANY period of time. 

That’s kinda the point,..there is no reason. 

• Like 3
+Randomevent

I'm all for justice.  That cops usually face nothing but "I might have to go apply for a police force in another state" bothers me.

I know there've been more than a few unreasonable incidents but honestly I thought Mpls had their ###### together.

Honestly though, as an outsider?  I get it.  People are frustrated.  But this is a really stupid time to do stuff like this.

• Like 1
FloatingFatMan
2 hours ago, LostCat said:

I'm all for justice.  That cops usually face nothing but "I might have to go apply for a police force in another state" bothers me.

I know there've been more than a few unreasonable incidents but honestly I thought Mpls had their ###### together.

Honestly though, as an outsider?  I get it.  People are frustrated.  But this is a really stupid time to do stuff like this.

Is there ever a good time for stupid stuff like this?

Honestly, racist people of ALL colours seriously need to grow up and quit the stupid.  They're making your whole country look bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Steven P.

Mississippi mayor letting us know that George Floyd's death is fake news, what wonderful times we live in /s

• Sad 2
  • Facepalm 1
mudslag

https://kstp.com/news/george-floyd-fired-officer-overlapped-security-shifts-at-south-minneapolis-club-may-28-2020/5743990/

A former club owner in south Minneapolis says the now-fired police officer and the black man who died in his custody this week both worked security for her club up to the end of last year.

George Floyd and now-former Officer Derek Chauvin both worked security at the El Nuevo Rodeo club on Lake Street, according to Maya Santamaria. Santamaria owned the building for nearly two decades, but sold the venue within the last few months. 

"Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside." 

Well this just took an interesting twist. 

• Like 1
+Randomevent
1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Is there ever a good time for stupid stuff like this?

Honestly, racist people of ALL colours seriously need to grow up and quit the stupid.  They're making your whole country look bad.

Well, a better time would be when we aren't dealing with an imbecile president and an out of control virus already.

Dude.  Our whole country already looked bad.  We just generally were only dealing with one stupid thing at a time instead of layering it all together like an orgy at an insane asylum.

• Like 1
DocM
17 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Low standard and training to be in the police force. We should just get rid of them and use the military to enforce the law of the land. They are better trained, nicer and respect your feelings.

That's illegal under the Posse Comitatus Act

It directly applies to the Army and Air Force. The Navy isn't included in Posse Comitatus, but it is by DoD regulation.

The US Coast Guard and US Space Force are not covered, allowing the USCG to do coastal enforcement and the USSF to provide intelligence and comms.

That said, this was at the least second degree murder. Period. 

ATLien_0

Collin Kaepernick took a knee in silent protest..that was condemned and told it was anti American

BLM and other African American groups have legal protests in the streets or parks and people say they shouldn't do that

So the frustration turns to riots..

I don't fully understand the rioting and looting, it seems counter productive 

However some friends pointed me to these quotes to help 

"And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.”
- Martin Luther King Jr, April 14, 1967

"Those who make peaceful revolutions impossible will make violent revolutions inevitable."
- John F. Kennedy, 1962

• Like 3
techbeck
4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Mississippi mayor letting us know that George Floyd's death is fake news, what wonderful times we live in /s

Really depends.  He may have been able to breathe a little to get out a few words but not enough to stay conscious/alive.   Like I said earlier, cops protecting cops it looks like here.   I guess I can play devils advocate a little since sometimes people say they cannot breathe so they can breakaway and try to escape.  But does not look to be the case here.

techbeck
2 hours ago, DocM said:

That's illegal under the Posse Comitatus Act

It directly applies to the Army and Air Force. The Navy isn't included in Posse Comitatus, but it is by DoD regulation.

The US Coast Guard and US Space Force are not covered, allowing the USCG to do coastal enforcement and the USSF to provide intelligence and comms.

That said, this was at the least second degree murder. Period. 

Yes, and if anyone thinks that the military, backed by federal government, policing the states and civilians is a good idea....then they need to get out of the sun for a little. 

• Thanks 1
techbeck
36 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

Collin Kaepernick took a knee in silent protest..that was condemned and told it was anti American

BLM and other African American groups have legal protests in the streets or parks and people say they shouldn't do that

Issue I had with Kaepernick was that for a long time, he only keeled once a week for a few min to "protest"  That is all he did and nothing else.  No charity work, no getting out in the community and trying to bring awareness.  He eventually did, but by the time he did, damage was already done.

BLM...I have no problem with them protesting if it was peaceful.  Do not bring weapons, cower behind a mask, and act civil.

waysidesc
16 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

New George Floyd video shows the man begging to be allowed to stand so that he can catch his breath as THREE police officers kneel on him :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8369723/New-George-Floyd-video-shows-three-officers-kneeling-body.html

• Sad 1
LaP
On 5/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, techbeck said:

Some cops take things to far.  Just a reminder this is not the norm for Police and most are responsible.  But like anything else, there are always a few bad eggs giving that makes everyone else look bad.

The problem with the bad eggs in the police is their colleagues don't call them for their bad behaviours. I doubt the 4 policemen involved are bad eggs. But those who are not should have acted. A criminal is a criminal and the uniform he wears should not matter. If a police officer allegedly commit a criminal act he should be arrested. The other 3 policemen should have acted and prevented a potential crime. This is their job that's what they are paid for.

Police solidarity is a problem. They are government officials paid with tax payers money to protect them. Too often they seem to think they are above that. I have a lot of respect for police officers. They do an ungrateful job and should be paid more. But i despise the police officers who think they are above the law. Yes they are the exception but sadly because of the solidarity within the police force they are able to do their things without anyone getting in their way.

I'm 100% sure this was not the first reprehensible act by this officer. It's just the first one where someone died. He looks like a bad police officer who doesn't seem to care about protocols. He probably did not want to kill the guy but by his stupid action someone died. The protocols police officers must respect are there for a reason. Standing on someone's neck for a long period of time while he is handcuffed in the back is surely not part of the regular training.

There's a couple of videos on Youtube of police officers trying to get away with criminal acts like for example DUI. The fact they actually try means they think it can work. Those videos on YT are the ones of police officers getting arrested. But what we don't see is all the times it actually worked and they got away with a criminal act because of police solidarity. If they try it means it probably works and it should really not.

The problem within the police force is not the bad eggs. You can't avoid those. The problem is police solidarity preventing those bad eggs to be fired before it's too late. This is a serious problem cause if nobody police the police then you open pendora's box.

• Like 4
techbeck
2 minutes ago, LaP said:

The problem with the bad eggs in the police is their colleagues don't call them for their bad behaviours. I doubt the 4 policemen involved are bad eggs. But those who are not should have acted. A criminal is a criminal and the uniform he wears should not matter. If a police officer allegedly commit a criminal act he should be arrested. The other 3 policemen should have acted and prevented a potential crime. This is their job that's what they are paid for.

Police solidarity is a problem. They are government officials paid with tax payers money to protect them. Too often they seem to think they are above that. I have a lot of respect for police officers. They do an ungrateful job and should be paid more. But i despise the police officers who think they are above the law. Yes they are the exception but sadly because of the solidarity within the police force they are able to do whatever they want without anyone getting in their way.

The problem within the police force is not the bad eggs. You can't avoid those. The problem is police solidarity preventing those bad eggs to be fired before it's too late. This is a serious problem cause if nobody police the police then you open pendora's box.

I posted a new link later on and mentioned this looks like cops protecting cops.  Should not be allowed/

I'm 100% sure this was not the first reprehensible act by this officer. It's just the first one where someone died.

Another link I posed where these officers have had several other issues over the years.  They should have been fired a long time ago.

• Like 1
Michael Scrip
4 hours ago, techbeck said:

He may have been able to breathe a little to get out a few words but not enough to stay conscious/alive.   I guess I can play devils advocate a little since sometimes people say they cannot breathe so they can breakaway and try to escape.  But does not look to be the case here.

Very true.

Also... the cop's knee was pinching his carotid artery.  This is the artery that carries blood to the brain.  

Floyd might have had difficulty breathing air into his lungs... but the loss of blood-flow to the brain is likely what killed him.  He was essentially blood-choked.  Strangled.  I hope the autopsy proves this... as it will give more evidence to charge this cop with some kind of manslaughter.

Sometimes a suspect needs to be restrained... but they should never be choked to death.

LaP
On 5/26/2020 at 6:14 PM, xrobwx71 said:

That's cut and dry.  Apparently he was combative based on what the bystander was saying. That Officer should have called EMS the minute he subdued him to check for injuries. Man, that's bad.

It hurts the rest of the Officers out there trying to do their job.  It hurts the relationship between Officers and the Communities.

His symptoms point towards Myocardial Infarction. His neck didn't seem compressed enough to cut off the airway, if it was he wouldn't be making sound much less talking. Either way, the Officer is guilty of this poor guys death.

I hope at  least they both go to jail. 

There's a longer video form a security camera where he is not combative at all when the police come in and handcuff him. Also you can question how much someone can be combative while handcuffed in the back. You surely can but that's not going to be very effective against 4 men.

LaP
On 5/28/2020 at 10:26 AM, Steven P. said:

Incase you can't see/use Twitter: Chris Rock in 2018.

lol 😉

"Most of our pilots can land a plane" - Delta Air Lines

"Most of our surgeons use sterilized equipment for their surgeries" - Massachusetts General Hospital

waysidesc

• Like 4
wakjak

It's sad that a CNN reporter got arrested for reporting the news, before a murderer did.

• Like 2
Brandon H
2 hours ago, LaP said:

Police solidarity is a problem. They are government officials paid with tax payers money to protect them. Too often they seem to think they are above that. I have a lot of respect for police officers. They do an ungrateful job and should be paid more. But i despise the police officers who think they are above the law. Yes they are the exception but sadly because of the solidarity within the police force they are able to do their things without anyone getting in their way.

I'm 100% sure this was not the first reprehensible act by this officer. It's just the first one where someone died. He looks like a bad police officer who doesn't seem to care about protocols. He probably did not want to kill the guy but by his stupid action someone died. The protocols police officers must respect are there for a reason. Standing on someone's neck for a long period of time while he is handcuffed in the back is surely not part of the regular training.

There's a couple of videos on Youtube of police officers trying to get away with criminal acts like for example DUI. The fact they actually try means they think it can work. Those videos on YT are the ones of police officers getting arrested. But what we don't see is all the times it actually worked and they got away with a criminal act because of police solidarity. If they try it means it probably works and it should really not.

100% agree with your post

A couple of points I have taken from articles and comments I've read around the web.

• The pin the officer was using was in no way an approved or a trained pinning method.
  • This is not the first time the officer had been in trouble for being overly aggressive.
  • It seems like the guy was forcefully pulled from his car. If I remember correctly your car is treated the same as private property and they can't force you to leave it unless they have a warrant. And I'm sure a warrant wasn't involved at this point.

I hope the other officers are charged as well as accessories to the murder. They should have intervened when the person was complaining of not being able to breath because a non-approved pin was being performed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
waysidesc
1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

I hope the other officers are charged as well as accessories to the murder. They should have intervened when the person was complaining of not being able to breath because a non-approved pin was being performed.

They were kneeling on him as well; absolutely.

• Brandon H changed the title to George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion