George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion

Brandon H
Just now, waysidesc said:

They were kneeling on him as well; absolutely.

right. I did hear about that update an hour ago. so yes they should definitely be charged just as harshly in that case. No way they need all 3 of them on top of the guy ...

• Like 2
Barney T.

The former Minneapolis police officer seen in a video with his knee on George Floyd's neck before the unarmed black man died this week was taken into custody Friday by state authorities, according to John Harrington, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

The officer, Derek Chauvin, was taken into custody by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension as fires continued to burn from violent protests overnight as demonstrators demanded justice for Floyd.

"At this point we do not have any further information on charging decisions," Harrington said at a news conference. "That will be coming from the county attorney, but we did want to let you know that he is in custody."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/minneapolis-george-floyd-friday/index.html

• Like 2
mudslag

wtf is happening down there

Brandon H

just the 1 was taken into custody? all 3 officers that were involved should be taken in and charged.

• Like 2
mudslag

I expect more to follow

waysidesc

Minneapolis cop who knelt on man’s neck charged with murder 

https://apnews.com/e27cfce9464809aa8c91afd74c930bb5

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said Derek Chauvin was charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter, after the office gathered enough evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

• Like 2
Brandon H
3 minutes ago, waysidesc said:

Minneapolis cop who knelt on man’s neck charged with murder 

https://apnews.com/e27cfce9464809aa8c91afd74c930bb5

good, now what about the other officers involved??

they're at the very least accessories to the murder. no way they should be allowed to get off scot free

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
waysidesc
Just now, Brandon H said:

good, now what about the other officers involved??

exactly what I thought.

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

they're at the very least accessories to the murder. no way they should be allowed to get off scot free

absolutely.

Barney T.

The fired Minneapolis police officer seen in a video with his knee on George Floyd's neck has been arrested and charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter, according to Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.

"The investigation is ongoing," Freeman said, adding that he anticipated charges against the other three officers involved in the incident.

"We entrust our police officers to use certain amounts of force to do their job to protect us. They commit a criminal act if they use this force unreasonably," he said.

• Like 2
  • Barney T. changed the title to Minneapolis ex-officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck is in state custody (facing murder charges)
+warwagon

I just hope this doesn’t set a dangerous precedent. If you want to get someones attention and get justice done quickly, all you have to do is riot, Loot, burn down a bunch of business and cause havoc.

• Facepalm 5
+primortal

• Sad 1
+jnelsoninjax

The part that is scary to me, is that my daughter lives less then 4 miles from the police station that was set on fire. She has told her mom that allot of the stores that they go by on the way to work have been looted and that there is smoke in the air. What are the people rioting over, police injustice? What if the 'victim' was white and the cop was black, would the public outcry be the same?

waysidesc
11 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

What if the 'victim' was white and the cop was black, would the public outcry be the same?

No, because the context is different and something would have been done sooner.

+primortal
17 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

What if the 'victim' was white and the cop was black, would the public outcry be the same?

Nope.  The cop would have been fired, arrested, and charged with murder within hours.

• Sad 1
+Randomevent
14 minutes ago, primortal said:

Nope.  The cop would have been fired, arrested, and charged with murder within hours.

See above.  It took them roughly nine months to issue a warrant and nearly two years to convict.

Dan~

I don’t understand why they need to say the persons race, next it’ll be “Man with size 12 feet found dead in park”

+primortal
15 minutes ago, LostCat said:

See above.  It took them roughly nine months to issue a warrant and nearly two years to convict.

Understood.  But the situations are completely different.  Noor didn't have Damond pinned to the ground while kneeling on her neck for a period of time.

techbeck
2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

I hope the other officers are charged as well as accessories to the murder. They should have intervened when the person was complaining of not being able to breath because a non-approved pin was being performed.

Considering the amount of complaints against the offers already, they should have been fired a looooong time ago.

• Like 2
techbeck
12 minutes ago, Dan~ said:

I don’t understand why they need to say the persons race, next it’ll be “Man with size 12 feet found dead in park”

Because every time a black person is killed by a cop, it is always about race and it is the cops fault.  Some are about race, sure.  But some are just bad cops.  These had several reports of misconduct against them.  Should have been fired a long time ago. If it was not this person, would have been someone else.

• Like 1
techbeck
58 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

No, because white people do not have a history of being abused for being white. 

Some of these incidents, the cops are in the wrong and some, the victim.   And some, just lack of evidence to convict.   But personally I never jump to this being a racist act unless there is proof to back that up.  Racist/racism gets tossed around way to much.

Looks like the cop who kneeled on the guys neck is getting what he deserves.  No need to do that, especially on a weak/vital spot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
wakjak
1 hour ago, warwagon said:

I just hope this doesn’t set a dangerous precedent. If you want to get someones attention and get justice done quickly, all you have to do is riot, Loot, burn down a bunch of business and cause havoc.

So he should have gotten away with murdering an innocent man? 

No thanks. If this is what it takes to get the bad guys, then go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Dan~
11 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Because every time a black person is killed by a cop, it is always about race and it is the cops fault.  Some are about race, sure.  But some are just bad cops.  These had several reports of misconduct against them.  Should have been fired a long time ago. If it was not this person, would have been someone else.

That’s just conjecture...

techbeck

Why do we have this thread when we have....

techbeck
1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Personally, I think people think this gives them the right to act bad themselves.   No need to steal things and damage property of those who had nothing to do with what happened.  I think at least one looter was killed as well.

• Facepalm 1
  • Brandon H changed the title to George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion