George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion

forster

There are some insane brutal videos going around at the moment, twitter is covered in them. Im really glad to be in the middle of nowhere England where nothing ever happens except for maybe your bin blows over in the middle of the night. 

adrynalyne
19 hours ago, Brandon H said:

I can't speak for everywhere but the riots in my areas near Omaha, Lincoln, and Bellevue Nebraska were very telling.

In Lincoln and Bellevue the police put down their batons and gear and joined in the peaceful protests and they remained peaceful.

In Omaha protests started peaceful until police arrived and started shouting commands and attacking people; that caused violence and destruction in retaliation that just didn't stop. The police made the situation worse with their actions; not better!!!

Sure there were a few bad eggs in the crowd that tried to be violent from the get go but other protesters would tell those people to lay off and they calmed down until the police started going ape ###### and began to beat and gas everyone....

90% of our violence was instigated and provoked by the police themselves .... it really is a telling story ...

Here in AZ, rioters were damaging buildings and assaulting police with rocks, which caused us to get a damn curfew of 8pm. A lot of idiots on both sides it seems. 

Gotenks98

I wanted to ask what do people in other countries think of what is going on right now with all of this and the build up to this moment right now. I feel we are one supreme court justice away from living in the series the Hand Maids tale.

techbeck
4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Yeah because the 10 minute footage of the incident still has people doubting /s

Lots of people are doubting since there are 2 conflicting reports.  And not many of us have medical degrees to diag the cause of death.

Brandon H
4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Here in AZ, rioters were damaging buildings and assaulting police with rocks, which caused us to get a damn curfew of 8pm. A lot of idiots on both sides it seems. 

yeah my area has had an 8pm curfew since Sunday as well.

Was it everyone throwing stuff from the get go or just a few at first? I've heard of a lot of places where outsiders are coming in to instigate violence, even going to the lengths of setting up piles of bricks and such in advance.

It's sad really; I don't understand what they hope to gain by undermining those that actually want to remain peaceful.

Brandon H
1 hour ago, Gotenks98 said:

I wanted to ask what do people in other countries think of what is going on right now with all of this and the build up to this moment right now. I feel we are one supreme court justice away from living in the series the Hand Maids tale.

We've been a laughing stock to most of the world for some time now and this hasn't helped. Trump is just making matters worse too basically promoting the shooting of any protesters indiscriminately.

Slightly off topic but they say most matured countries have had at least 2 major civil wars; and if things keep going this direction then we'll be due for our 2nd here very soon ....

Steven P.

It doesn't help when you have someone incapable of leading

• Like 3
techbeck

5 - 6 Police getting shot last night.  Police getting beaten as well.  Property being destroyed, others assaulted, and stealing.  I doubt many will actually think about what these "protests" are about and instead focus on the violence.   And I guess the lives of other innocents are not as important.

DocM

ANTIFA auditioning for a Darwin Award? 

tumblr_p46tttmMiy1ugqunqo1_400.gif

• Facepalm 3
Steven P.
16 minutes ago, DocM said:

I don't think you'll find anyone here defending that sort of behavior, I certainly won't.. but posts like these, embedding a gif from an incident that has nothing to do with the protests, or even the looting (it is far older than the recent events, because I've seen it before). makes me feel like the sort of posts you are making serve little purpose other than to point out a "captain obvious" moment in that, yes we shouldn't be happy that properties are being destroyed and looting going on, but at the same time ignoring the the events that led up to it, or even suggesting that by association it should make the event less valid because it is happening... smart ;)  /s

Because of this sort of thinking, we are here almost 30 years after the Rodney King riots, because certain people just want to concentrate on the wrong side of the problem.

• Like 2
techbeck
24 minutes ago, DocM said:

That is an old image.  Not ANTIFA I don't believe. Still funny tho.

• Like 1
DocM
4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I don't think you'll find anyone here defending that sort of behavior, I certainly won't..

Good!

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

but posts like these, embedding a gif from an incident that has nothing to do with the protests, or even the looting (it is far older than the recent events, because I've seen it before). makes me feel like the sort of posts you are making serve little purpose other than to point out a "captain obvious" moment in that, yes we shouldn't be happy that properties are being destroyed and looting going on, but at the same time ignoring the the events that led up to it, or even suggesting that by association it should make the event less valid because it is happening... smart ;)  /s

Because of this sort of thinking, we are here almost 30 years after the Rodney King riots, because certain people just want to concentrate on the wrong side of the problem.

Like it or not, this is representative of what the extremists s are doing. 

It's these extremist groups who are hurting the cause, not those of  us who hold up their absurd & counterproductive behavior for ridicule.

Time for the left and right to stop giving them cover.

• Facepalm 1
+primortal
27 minutes ago, DocM said:

ANTIFA Two white folks auditioning for a Darwin Award? 

Let me correct that for you...

• Like 3
+primortal

DocM
Just now, primortal said:

Let me correct that for you...

They are not mutually exclusive.

+warwagon

46 minutes ago, DocM said:

Legend has it he's still dragging him to this day.

+primortal
7 minutes ago, DocM said:

They are not mutually exclusive.

Nope, nice try though.  It most likely two white supremacists 😉

Steven P.
23 minutes ago, DocM said:

Good!

Like it or not, this is representative of what the extremists s are doing. 

It's these extremist groups who are hurting the cause, not those of  us who hold up their absurd & counterproductive behavior for ridicule.

Time for the left and right to stop giving them cover.

I'm not too young and gullible enough to miss how left and right extremists used this as an opportunity, what angers me is how the original message has to somehow "pay" for groups of people taking advantage of the anarchy and even the President stoking those fires. You only hear him talk about right wingers being "good people" but all these protesters (lumped into one leftist category by Trump) are all "THUGS". 

There's a part of your problem right there, right from the very top.

• Like 4
techbeck
27 minutes ago, primortal said:

Good listen.  Most educated people will know this.  And should be labeled "Dear People" since there are people from all races that do not understand. 

My sister in law is black, I have 2 black 1st cousins, black bro in law, black nephew, and a few mixed family members.  So I have heard lots of stories on how they were/are treated.  But non of them agree with the looting, violence, and damage to property and each other/people.  And towards the end saying a white person who does something wrong  does not go to jail while a black person committing a crime will.  Which is false.  It may be disproportionate, but that is different.

• Like 3
LaP
On 5/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, LostCat said:

See above.  It took them roughly nine months to issue a warrant and nearly two years to convict.

Was there any video evidence though? A 8 months investigation is not unusual if there's no strong evidences readily available. They have to dig and it takes time. Ultimately the black police officer was arrested, charged, found guilty and got 12.5 years. The fact he was not charged with 2nd degree murder is probably indicative that the evidences were not super strong.

Let's forget about racial issues for a moment. Police violence in NA is a problem and pushing it aside because it may not be about race wont solve any problem. Police violence being motivated by racial issues is a debate for another time. At the end of the day police violence is a problem and if you solve it then the motivation doesn't matter much.

You wont solve police violence by solving racism. There will always be racism and racists. And yes black people can be racists too and yes it should be reported. What we can do is have a system in place preventing police officers to to deviate from the normal procedures no matter what the reason they could have to do it (and being violent is definitely outside of the procedures). Following the procedures should be sacred among the police force.

For example the police officers who arrested the CNN reporter should be sanctioned. If it happens again they should be fired. But they will probably find an excuse to not do it as usual and this is where the real problem is. Arresting a reporter without a good reason is the type of thing we blame China, NK and Iran for. It's not something that should happen in a democratic country. The reporters should be free to cover the protest it's an important part of our free democratic society.

neufuse
2 hours ago, DocM said:

uh that's a video from Shanghai  China..... look it up

edit: I'll  just do it for you

• Like 4
LaP
8 hours ago, Gotenks98 said:

It's very clear USA thinks differently than most of the commonwealth countries and other countries like France, Germany, ... when it comes to rights. You can start with the death penalty and then you can stop there because it's already a pretty big difference in mentality. There's lot of things that are considered acceptable in USA that are not elsewhere like killing someone because you "think" your life is in danger.

Then there's all the weird structures like voting for sheriff and making it a popularity contest about everything but is he qualified enough. The presidential pardon of political friends is another thing. In a nutshell we disagree on a lot of things. It doesn't make USA worse in fact it's better in many respect but obviously if you ask someone whose preferred color is orange what he thinks of yellow then obviously the answer wont be i love yellow it's awesome.

Lobbyists play a very big role in USA. I think we are at a point where it has become useless to discuss anything related to politic and religion on the internet because you never know if you talk to someone or a bot paid by lobbyists. I would personally say the main problem in USA is lobbyists. They are strong and spend lot of money to try to shape the country the way they want it to be. The voice of the real people gets lost in the process.

• Like 3
Steven P.

This pretty much sums up the "leadership" right now:

oatzt01yco151.png

• Like 3
Brandon H
1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

This pretty much sums up the "leadership" right now:

oatzt01yco151.png

I can't stand Trump. He's a bloody child.

He's constantly contradicting himself; swinging this way or that solely based on whatever is convenient or benefits himself the most at the time.

• Like 2
  • Brandon H changed the title to George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion