• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Share if your Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) is blocked

He's Dead Jim    2,017

My Sony Vaio laptop is now being offered the feature update, but I'm a bit apprehensive as the update seemed to break the WiFi on  my Dell desktop. I'll maybe hold off untill further consideration.

Steven P.    16,901
1 hour ago, He's Dead Jim said:

My Sony Vaio laptop is now being offered the feature update, but I'm a bit apprehensive as the update seemed to break the WiFi on  my Dell desktop. I'll maybe hold off untill further consideration.

Mate I am being offered it too, but new reports are saying it completely breaks Chrome sync and more (logging you out everywhere on each reboot). https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/49967636?hl=en https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/50327847?hl=en https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/53371635?hl=en

I have decided to defer the update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026834/windows-10-defer-feature-updates

He's Dead Jim    2,017
27 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Mate I am being offered it too, but new reports are saying it completely breaks Chrome sync and more (logging you out everywhere on each reboot). https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/49967636?hl=en https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/50327847?hl=en https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/53371635?hl=en

I have decided to defer the update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026834/windows-10-defer-feature-updates

Thanks for that, I've hit the defer button... :)

anmol112    11

I noticed an interesting development. My laptop was not supported and I was seeing a banner saying I can't install 2004 update. Today, that banner disappeared but checking for updates still shows "You're up to date". I am on 1909.

image.png

Jim K    15,701

It was blocked on my desktop until yesterday.

Tried to install it but it failed with error 0xc1900223

Now it doesn't show up through Windows update.

Which is fine, whatever.  This desktop is going to be retired whenever nvidia releases their next gen GPUs.  8 years is a good run (built June 2012).

Steven P.    16,901

Well it was offered to me last week, but I deferred it (still showed with a link to install it) and now it has disappeared altogether. 

SNAG-0002.png

I guess if additional problems were found (as per Jim's post above this one) and it was removed again for certain setups, it still shows how terrible their QA testing is.

nekrosoft13    763

probably detects some old ass drivers, if pre-build manufacturers don't push out new drivers, and users don't venture to actual vendors websites to update drivers, updates will get blocked.

none of my PCs (10+ got blocked), but every component has the latest driver

Steven P.    16,901
7 minutes ago, nekrosoft13 said:

none of my PCs (10+ got blocked), but every component has the latest driver

Mine has latest drivers too, plus I have the Intel Driver & Support assistant installed, so it is not outdated drivers in my case.

cyberhash    10

Like the above post i don't believe that outdated drivers are the issue for me. I am as up to date "as can be" , unless there is something in the pipeline that needs to be updated for this build of windows.

As we are all aware,  the lack of info on the windows update screen gives no indication of

1) What's holding the upgrade up
2) When you are going to get it

• Like 1

nekrosoft13    763
15 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Mine has latest drivers too, plus I have the Intel Driver & Support assistant installed, so it is not outdated drivers in my case.

that utility only updates intel components... and not well either...

for example on my PC it kept trying to install intel video drivers 26.xxxx while 27.xxxx branch was available for months.

you might have realtek, qualcomm, broadcom, nvidia, amd, etc... 

another reason for hold up would be old obsolete security software, old symantec, mcaffee, etc...

Steven P.    16,901
22 minutes ago, nekrosoft13 said:

that utility only updates intel components... and not well either...

for example on my PC it kept trying to install intel video drivers 26.xxxx while 27.xxxx branch was available for months.

you might have realtek, qualcomm, broadcom, nvidia, amd, etc... 

another reason for hold up would be old obsolete security software, old symantec, mcaffee, etc...

Thanks, but can you just accept that I am capable of keeping my PC up to date, or is that not possible for you? 😛 

+BudMan    3,733

What I wish they would do is stop treating all users like idiots.. What is the "specific" reason you have my machine on the block list.. Give me the details.. So I can replace it, or update it or whatever... But just saying your machine is not ready is just nonsense.. Sure billy bob user doesn't know or care - but where is the button for those that do want to know can get the info..    Or for that matter command I need to run...

• Like 9

waysidesc    858

M4600 manually updated.

No issues ...

... No idea why it was not updating on its own ...

greenwizard88    640

Both of my computers refused to even acknowledge the update until a few days ago, when I was able to see and upgrade both of them. The update went flawlessly, and I haven't seen any issues on my desktop. My laptop (XPS 9343) had a sleep bug that would cause a BSOD on resume from deep sleep. It had previously disappeared in 1910, but has returned for 2004.

cyberhash    10
1 hour ago, greenwizard88 said:

Both of my computers refused to even acknowledge the update until a few days ago, when I was able to see and upgrade both of them. The update went flawlessly, and I haven't seen any issues on my desktop. My laptop (XPS 9343) had a sleep bug that would cause a BSOD on resume from deep sleep. It had previously disappeared in 1910, but has returned for 2004.

I could have sworn that there was an issue regarding resuming from sleep on certain devices on the following page, but it seems to have been removed :ermm:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

xrobwx71    844

I'm running it on 2 computers at home one of which is a SLI gaming rig. I've had no issues. 

I also have 11 computers at work running it with various configurations, Desktop/Laptop, AMD/Intel with only one unit having an issue (screen blinking black periodically)  which was quickly mitigated with a Nvidia video driver update. 

+Zag L.    813

I've been offered (and installed) the update on three systems so far without issue. I have 1 that was in the release preview ring so they already had it and two in the slow ring (now running 20H2). I think everything I run has been upgraded beyond 1909 at this point.

Barney T.    2,423

Unable to install this update. All drivers and BIOS are up to date. The "Collecting information" screen stays at 0% for a very long time, then the download takes hours. It simply doesn't install correctly and gets rolled back every time.

He's Dead Jim    2,017

Well, I bit the bullet and hit the "Download and install" in "windows update", the process took about five hours, and then the "restart" button appeared, great I thought, and I clicked it up. After what seemed like an hour I got a message, "Update failed" then I got a message saying; "Undoing changes made to your PC" after two hours all I had was a black screen, no I thought, It's broken the computer, I hit Ctrl Alt Delete, but nothing, I hit Esc, and about ten minutes later the computer restarted and booted into Windows, yup back to 1909,

Not to be deterred I opened Cmd and typed sfc /scannow, and let it run until the scan was completed, restarted the machine and checked the Windows update, the Download and install button was there, but no I'm not trying that again I told myself.

So I then went to microsofts "Update Assistant" and downloaded a file, ran the file and let the Update Assistant do it's thing, Still took about four hours, and the update worked fine, so now I'm on 2004 on both the Dell desktop, and the Sony laptop.

So alls well that ends well I guess.

• Like 1

dipsylalapo    1,949

I installed it with no issues so far on one machine, currently installing it on another. Pending on my laptop though, can't see anything on the known issues list that would stop the install though.

xrobwx71    844
47 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

Unable to install this update. All drivers and BIOS are up to date. The "Collecting information" screen stays at 0% for a very long time, then the download takes hours. It simply doesn't install correctly and gets rolled back every time.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/downloads/sfcfix/

Run this and then try.

• Like 1

George P    6,451
3 hours ago, He's Dead Jim said:

Well, I bit the bullet and hit the "Download and install" in "windows update", the process took about five hours, and then the "restart" button appeared, great I thought, and I clicked it up. After what seemed like an hour I got a message, "Update failed" then I got a message saying; "Undoing changes made to your PC" after two hours all I had was a black screen, no I thought, It's broken the computer, I hit Ctrl Alt Delete, but nothing, I hit Esc, and about ten minutes later the computer restarted and booted into Windows, yup back to 1909,

Not to be deterred I opened Cmd and typed sfc /scannow, and let it run until the scan was completed, restarted the machine and checked the Windows update, the Download and install button was there, but no I'm not trying that again I told myself.

So I then went to microsofts "Update Assistant" and downloaded a file, ran the file and let the Update Assistant do it's thing, Still took about four hours, and the update worked fine, so now I'm on 2004 on both the Dell desktop, and the Sony laptop.

So alls well that ends well I guess.

I forget but does the Update Assistant check your system and tell you if something is blocking it or not?  I seem to remember MS had some sort of tool that did this job because looking at the list of known issues they have I can't see anything that is blocking it on my gaming PC.

He's Dead Jim    2,017
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, George P said:

I forget but does the Update Assistant check your system and tell you if something is blocking it or not?  I seem to remember MS had some sort of tool that did this job because looking at the list of known issues they have I can't see anything that is blocking it on my gaming PC.

Well it cheked for disk drive space and a couple of other things which I cant remember, but it said my system was OK, so I just clicked through the "next" button. It seemed pretty minimal and quick so I probably didm't pay too much attention,

the actual install still took ages though, with a "Getting Things Ready" screen appearing stuck at 70% for so long I almost gave up.

You can get the Update Assistant here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Edited by He's Dead Jim
added link
  • Like 1

+BudMan    3,733

I ran into some weirdness with my network cards today... Could not call up properties on them, would say insufficient memory..  Then tried tried checking with sfc and the whole dism state of affairs saying could not find source.. Which prob had something to do why was being blocked..

Any who - I just clean installed and now on 2004... All went good, no issues.. But box has been through quite a few updates.. So it was prob time for just spring cleaning sort of install..

Barney T.    2,423
On 6/24/2020 at 2:25 PM, He's Dead Jim said:

Well it cheked for disk drive space and a couple of other things which I cant remember, but it said my system was OK, so I just clicked through the "next" button. It seemed pretty minimal and quick so I probably didm't pay too much attention,

the actual install still took ages though, with a "Getting Things Ready" screen appearing stuck at 70% for so long I almost gave up.

You can get the Update Assistant here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I used your link and downloaded the Update Assistant. So far so good. Installing without an issue and took about 5 minutes to download. Installing well so far. This is the way to go for this Windows Update for me.....

Update: The installation of the update took hours. I went to bed, but the last 30% of the installation took at least 4 hours to complete. The update was successful, but sooooo painful.

• Like 1