• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

PC no post, no display, no beep, fans spinning

Newb    2

Hey guys!

While using my PC, the monitor suddenly turns off (no display), then i checked my system and it was still running but the power button switch is not responding to switch off the computer so i just turned off the power supply. I thought it was the RAM, so I unplugged the power cord and removed the RAM and cleaned it but still nothing happens. I then removed the CMOS Battery, let it rest for a couple of minutes and plugged it back, still nothing happens. I removed the GPU then use the mobo as my display, but still nothing. I've tried to remove the ram and gpu, still no beep and no display. I've called a colleague to checked it, he suspects it's either the mobo or the PSU. I've also unplugged and replugged all the cords from the power supply. My PC is 2 years old, bought it on 2017.

My Specs:

Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 ghz (Wraith Stealth cooler)

Gigabyte ga-a320m-ds2 ddr4 Micro ATX

1x8 gb ram ddr4 2144mhz

Zotac GTX 1050 ti OC 4gb GDDR5

Deepcool DE600 600 watts

3 case fans (1 in, 2 exhaust)

PS.

My mouse LED is on but my keyboard LED is off when i'm turning on my computer

I've noticed something strange when I powered my computer with the RAM in place I can't shutdown my PC through the power button, but when my RAM is removed I can shutdown it through the power button.

Jim K    15,471

For clarification....because I'm a little confused on the power situation.  🙂

So, when you push the power button does it power up (fans spinning)?  I'm assuming you have a case speaker hooked up (since you mentioned "still no beep")... but you aren't getting any beeps?

If it isn't getting power ... or the motherboard isn't powering up ... I would agree with your friend that it is either the motherboard or PSU.  Which one though...that is kinda hard to tell.  If it was the GPU, CPU or RAM .. the motherboard should throw angry error beeps at you.

Side note:  You won't get ANY video out from the motherboard itself.  It requires a CPU with an integrated GPU which the Ryzen 1400 doesn't have. 

Mindovermaster    3,505
2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Side note:  You won't get ANY video out from the motherboard itself.  It requires a CPU with an integrated GPU which the Ryzen 1400 doesn't have. 

Actually, an APU, but yeah...

What Jim said above, basically.

Also, you should get dual channel RAM, not just one stick...

Newb    2

Yes, the fans are spinning(the CPU fan and case fans) but no beep or anything, I've got a case speaker plugged in also and when i remove the RAM and powered it on it doesn't give a beep error. My motherboard only have 2 DIMM slots

Jim K    15,471
21 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Actually, an APU, but yeah...

Actually, an APU is a CPU with integrated graphics....right?  Your petty "corrections" get annoying FYI.

13 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

Yes, the fans are spinning(the CPU fan and case fans) but no beep or anything, I've got a case speaker plugged in also and when i remove the RAM and powered it on it doesn't give a beep error. My motherboard only have 2 DIMM slots

...and you aren't getting any beeps regardless of the configuration ... with everything plugged in?  Basically, you're getting fans spinning but no beeps or anything else?

I believe that motherboard has a three year warranty.  Have you passed the three years yet?  If it is still under warranty, I would RMA the board.  I

Mindovermaster    3,505
5 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

With the Stealth cooler, it shouldn't touch your RAM slots...

Well, with no RAM, your board doesn't even get past POST. So, no, there wouldn't be any beeps.

Saying you have 3 fans, how are they connected? there's only 2 headers on your board. (nothing to do with this, just curious)

Mindovermaster    3,505
3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Actually, an APU is a CPU with integrated graphics....right?  Your petty "corrections" get annoying FYI.

Actually, you don't say "A CPU with a GPU"

So, "A CPU with an APU" is the correct term.

I'm not trying to be annoying, I'm just correcting you on terminology.

Newb    2
7 minutes ago, Jim K said:

...and you aren't getting any beeps regardless of the configuration ... with everything plugged in?  Basically, you're getting fans spinning but no beeps or anything else?

I believe that motherboard has a three year warranty.  Have you passed the three years yet?  If it is still under warranty, I would RMA the board.  I

I am not getting any beeps at all, and the fans are all spinning, is it really the motherboard? How do I know if the motherboard is dead or faulty?

8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, with no RAM, your board doesn't even get past POST. So, no, there wouldn't be any beeps.

Saying you have 3 fans, how are they connected? there's only 2 headers on your board. (nothing to do with this, just curious)

The 1 in is connected through a molex pin, the other exhaust fan is connected in the board and the other is through a molex pin

Jim K    15,471
28 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You sure about that?  

24 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Actually, you don't say "A CPU with a GPU"

So, "A CPU with an APU" is the correct term.

I'm not trying to be annoying, I'm just correcting you on terminology.

I said "It requires a CPU with an integrated GPU which the Ryzen 1400 doesn't have."

Why would you say a "CPU with an APU"?  That makes zero sense.  /fin

17 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

I am not getting any beeps at all, and the fans are all spinning, is it really the motherboard? How do I know if the motherboard is dead or faulty?

My best guess.  You've tried the clear CMOS route (by removing the battery), you aren't getting any beeps regardless of configuration ... so it is either the motherboard or PSU in my opinion.  If one of them are still under warranty...I would RMA.  If you have an extra PSU laying around (or could borrow one) you could try it ... though I'm inclined to believe your motherboard went to silicon heaven. 

Obviously, I wouldn't take my word for it as others here may offer additional suggestions which may help solve your issue.

Mindovermaster    3,505
10 minutes ago, Jim K said:

You sure about that?  

How can it POST with no video? BIOS loads, yes, but first thing it checks is the RAM, if it sees none, it should beep constantly.

Why the beeping doesn't work for him? No idea.

Either his speaker is bad, or his board is a brick.

Jim K    15,471
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

36 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

How can it POST with no video? BIOS loads, yes, but first thing it checks is the RAM, if it sees none, it should beep constantly.

Why the beeping doesn't work for him? No idea.

Either his speaker is bad, or his board is a brick.

Mindovermaster    3,505
Posted (edited)

Did I say that? Dam... Guess that's what you get when you're tired...

My head is swimming right now. Damn you, allergies....

LaP    2,303

When there's no beep and the fans are spinning it's usually the MB. Could be the PSU but in most case it's the MB.

Newb    2
1 hour ago, Jim K said:

My best guess.  You've tried the clear CMOS route (by removing the battery), you aren't getting any beeps regardless of configuration ... so it is either the motherboard or PSU in my opinion.  If one of them are still under warranty...I would RMA.  If you have an extra PSU laying around (or could borrow one) you could try it ... though I'm inclined to believe your motherboard went to silicon heaven. 

Obviously, I wouldn't take my word for it as others here may offer additional suggestions which may help solve your issue.

Well i guess It gave up on me, but would you recommend if I try a different PSU to test on my board?

DKAngel    329
2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

my mb beeps when thwere is no ram, actually it beeps alot

Newb    2

Thanks to the replies though, I appreciate it.

Mindovermaster    3,505
6 hours ago, DKAngel said:

my mb beeps when thwere is no ram, actually it beeps alot

Beep Beep Boop ;)

Riva    1,333

Get a voltmeter and check the PSU terminals. Also, remove everything from the MB besides CPU and RAM and try to POST after your clear CMOS. If it successfully POSTS with a beep, attach another peripheral, rinse and repeat.

Mockingbird    2,984

Power Supply Unit (PSU) is probably gone

Mindovermaster    3,505
33 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Power Supply Unit (PSU) is probably gone

Being he is getting power, I doubt it.

Think he needs to test it with a new/okd/used PSU. If he gets the same results, his board is bad.

Newb    2
3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Being he is getting power, I doubt it.

Think he needs to test it with a new/okd/used PSU. If he gets the same results, his board is bad.

I brought it to a technician to check and he replaced my gpu to test if my gpu is at fault but still the same results. Then he tested his psu to my board and yet again no results. And he also repeats the troubleshooting process I've done a while ago and still no signs of life. So we concluded that the motherboard gave up on my system.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    3,505
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

I brought it to a technician to check and he replaced my gpu to test if my gpu is at fault but still the same results. Then he tested his psu to my board and yet again no results. And he also repeats the troubleshooting process I've done a while ago and still no signs of life. So we concluded that the motherboard gave up on my system.

Yea, we assumed that, too. Now that we know, great! :)

Edit: Get that motherboard RMA'd if still under warranty. I know Gigabyte will replace stuff even after the product is out of warranty.

Newb    2
2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yea, we assumed that, too. Now that we know, great! :)

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it! I guess it's time to replace my board for a better one