• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Motherboard Recommendations

Recommended Posts

Newb    2

Hey!

I am planning on buying a new motherboard because my old mobo just goes to silicon heaven (dead). What can you recommend me for a budget of $100-$120 that i wont have a problem if I would upgrade my other parts in the future. I am new to buying motherboards and i dont know what to get.

 

My specs:

Ryzen 5 1400 3.2ghz

Gigabyte Ga-a320m-ds2 (my dead mobo)

Deepcool DE600 600watts

Deepcool Smarter (mATX case)

Gtx 1050 ti OC 4gb gddr5

 

I am also thinking if I should replace my Case as well, what do you guys think? Should i get an ATX or mATX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,338

I would go for an Asus for durability and an X470 for as much as forward compatibility as possible with the upcoming Ryzen 4th gen. Thats a 100$-200$ range

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
13 minutes ago, Riva said:

I would go for an Asus for durability and an X470 for as much as forward compatibility as possible with the upcoming Ryzen 4th gen. Thats a 100$-200$ range

Thanks for the suggestion 🙂 I'll look that up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    15,701

Your "old" board isn't under warranty? This is a terrible time to be looking for a board (practically no stock, at least here in the U.S.). Depending on your budget and with your current specs...probably a nice cheap ASUS, ASrock (or whatever) A320 or B450 chipset board would do... especially if you intend on just keeping the same setup for a few years.

 

Just a terrible time to be looking at boards. So, your current choices may be significantly limited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Your "old" board isn't under warranty? This is a terrible time to be looking for a board (practically no stock, at least here in the U.S.). Depending on your budget and with your current specs...probably a nice cheap ASUS, ASrock (or whatever) A320 or B450 chipset board would do... especially if you intend on just keeping the same setup for a few years.

 

Just a terrible time to be looking at boards. So, your current choices may be significantly limited.

Well umm I brought it to a technician this day to check and he said that my board is the culprit and advised me to get a board other than gigabyte and he specifically suggested an Asus board because of its durability ... Im not from U.S. and I'm a budget gamer. I'll be keeping my setup for a few years depending on how long my components can last. I can't upgrade my setup even if I wanted to because of a very tight budget. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep that in mind 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,876
10 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

Well umm I brought it to a technician this day to check and he said that my board is the culprit and advised me to get a board other than gigabyte and he specifically suggested an Asus board because of its durability ... Im not from U.S. and I'm a budget gamer. I'll be keeping my setup for a few years depending on how long my components can last. I can't upgrade my setup even if I wanted to because of a very tight budget. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep that in mind 🙂

If you want to get away from Gigabyte then yeah Asus is one of the best out there but if you want to save that extra money, depending on when you bought that mobo and if you still have proof of purchase then you should be able to contact Gigabyte to see if they'll honor the warranty and provide a free replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,685

Gigabyte is quite OK, as long as you don't go with the cheapest.

 

ASUS and ASRock are amoungst the top two in motherboards. ASRock used to be a budget company. But they have really shined in the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
11 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

If you want to get away from Gigabyte then yeah Asus is one of the best out there but if you want to save that extra money, depending on when you bought that mobo and if you still have proof of purchase then you should be able to contact Gigabyte to see if they'll honor the warranty and provide a free replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've decided to replace it for a better one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Gigabyte is quite OK, as long as you don't go with the cheapest.

 

ASUS and ASRock are amoungst the top two in motherboards. ASRock used to be a budget company. But they have really shined in the last few years.

For a micro atx board, which of these two is better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,685
4 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

For a micro atx board, which of these two is better?

It totally depends on what you want. As with any motherboard. Tell us what you do with it, and we can suggest. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

It totally depends on what you want. As with any motherboard. Tell us what you do with it, and we can suggest. :)

I am using it for editing and gaming most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    16,902
6 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

I am using it for editing and gaming most likely.

Think if you also want Wi-Fi. Mine is the Aorus Z390 Pro Wi-fi (Intel) I can make my computer a hotspot for mobile devices etc, but if you will never use it, don't get it 😛 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,876

ASRock HAS come a long way but I still personally trust Asus more

 

for true decision making though I'd recommend you pick out a few boards in your price range on Amazon or NewEgg and compare the reviews. Both companies will have diamonds and turds so seeing reviews from actual owners helps a million in decision making for computer parts 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
3 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Think if you also want Wi-Fi. Mine is the Aorus Z390 Pro Wi-fi (Intel) I can make my computer a hotspot for mobile devices etc, but if you will never use it, don't get it 😛 

I've got a ryzen cpu, that's a good suggestion but I can't afford to buy something like that at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
7 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

ASRock HAS come a long way but I still personally trust Asus more

I'm thinking of getting an Asus board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    16,902
20 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

I've got a ryzen cpu, that's a good suggestion but I can't afford to buy something like that at the moment.

Asus motherboard come with and without Wifi, my only suggestion was to think about if you need that feature or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Asus motherboard come with and without Wifi, my only suggestion was to think about if you need that feature or not.

Nope, thanks for the replies, should i consider MSI boards? They have midrange b450m boards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,685
20 minutes ago, NotsoTechy said:

Nope, thanks for the replies, should i consider MSI boards? They have midrange b450m boards

What is your price range?

 

Don't start me with MSI... It's just me, but ~15 years ago I RMA'd a motherboard back to them 3 times. After that, I hated them. Others may have more insight to MSI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newb    2
5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What is your price range?

 

Don't start me with MSI... It's just me, but ~15 years ago I RMA'd a motherboard back to them 3 times. After that, I hated them. Others may have more insight to MSI.

Well I've got $100 - $140 range, well that's an awful experience. Hmmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,640
21 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What is your price range?

 

Don't start me with MSI... It's just me, but ~15 years ago I RMA'd a motherboard back to them 3 times. After that, I hated them. Others may have more insight to MSI.

A lot changed in 15 years. ASRock used to be terrible, now they are good, ASUS used to be good, now they are terrible, etc etc.

 

MSI and Gigabyte are the two main recommended manufacturers for AMD systems these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky    1,198

Hello,

 

On a different site, I have seen many complaints about ASRock's line of AMD motherboards at the value end of the spectrum (e.g., their least expensive models).  I have around five Intel-based ASRock systems and have not had any issues with them, but these are mostly motherboards from their server group, and not their consumer division.

 

MSI's AMD-based boards seem to get recommended a lot because some of their models have the ability to update the BIOS (UEFI) firmware without a CPU installed.  This is important, because some AMD-based motherboards didn't work with some AMD CPUs without first upgrading their BIOS.  This forced AMD to introduce a "processor loan program" so that people could get their motherboard updated to work with the CPU they bought.

 

ASUS' AMD-based boards seem to have a good reputation, but I am unsure if they have the same BIOS update feature as MSI's.  They also tend to be a little more expensive.

 

I do not have any AMD-based systems myself right now, but am currently using an ASUS workstation motherboard in my primary desktop.  The one before that had an ASRock motherboard.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,685
7 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

A lot changed in 15 years. ASRock used to be terrible, now they are good, ASUS used to be good, now they are terrible, etc etc.

 

MSI and Gigabyte are the two main recommended manufacturers for AMD systems these days.

ASUS? You're kidding, right? ASUS isn't terrible. I do believe however they slunked a little, but they are still good. Particularly their ROG boards.

 

ASRock used to be just a budget company, not terrible. But yes, I do believe they have gotten 110% better than in the old days.

 

I understand MSI can be better after 15 years, BUT, that is the way I feel towards them. If you like them, great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,918
6 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

ASUS? You're kidding, right? ASUS isn't terrible. I do believe however they slunked a little, but they are still good. Particularly their ROG boards.

 

ASRock used to be just a budget company, not terrible. But yes, I do believe they have gotten 110% better than in the old days.

 

I understand MSI can be better after 15 years, BUT, that is the way I feel towards them. If you like them, great.

I won’t buy an ASUS board...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,685
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I won’t buy an ASUS board...

TBH, I haven't bought an ASUS boards since the first i5's came out... But, I wouldn't rulel them out.

 

Same as MSI for me. We all have different feelings... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,640
2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

ASUS? You're kidding, right? ASUS isn't terrible. I do believe however they slunked a little, but they are still good. Particularly their ROG boards.

 

ASRock used to be just a budget company, not terrible. But yes, I do believe they have gotten 110% better than in the old days.

 

I understand MSI can be better after 15 years, BUT, that is the way I feel towards them. If you like them, great.

Depends on your use-case, but if your into high overclocks id ask you to venture off to a few other forums to see the complaints folks have. ASUS quality has gone down, as has their BIOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.