Why no Disney+ app for Windows 10?

I no absolutely zero about programming etc. but I thought one of the advantages of the Windows 10/XBox platform was that it meant apps could easily be on multiple flavours of Windows?  So if Disney have done an XBox app for Disney+, shouldn't it be super simple - with a little more work - to make that available for Windows 10?

I get the model has never worked out as hoped, but seems a missed opportunity when work has been done.

From my understanding it's just a matter of flicking a switch when published to the Microsoft Store. If there's an Xbox One app there's little or nothing that would need changed for it to work on Windows 10 Desktop.

It's just a matter of if Disney cares enough to flip that switch.

------------------

2 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

system requirements on that page state only for Xbox One which is exactly what OP is stating/questioning

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

It's just a matter of if Disney cares enough to flip that switch.

And assume the cost of another platform (it IS another platform - all the potential hardware combos) to support

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

system requirements on that page state only for Xbox One which is exactly what OP is stating/questioning

Yeah, I misread and edited.

Just now, Human.Online said:

And assume the cost of another platform (it IS another platform - all the potential hardware combos) to support

wasn't that supposed to be the point of UWP though? They'd have to worry about that less and one code set would just work for all?

also not a programmer per say so I could be miss judging something.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

wasn't that supposed to be the point of UWP though? They'd have to worry about that less and one code set would just work for all?

also not a programmer per say so I could be miss judging something.

So yeah, it was meant to be.  And to a level it still is.  But the reality is, you say that your app works on Win10 (desktop), you then end up with support questions that related to the hardware, is your PC fast enough, graphics issues, etc.  Consoles - it's a flat platform.

That said: You could argue the same about releasing it via browser.

1 minute ago, Human.Online said:

So yeah, it was meant to be.  And to a level it still is.  But the reality is, you say that your app works on Win10 (desktop), you then end up with support questions that related to the hardware, is your PC fast enough, graphics issues, etc.  Consoles - it's a flat platform.

That said: You could argue the same about releasing it via browser.

yeah thy could easily release it as a Web App like Hulu did as well; but then it comes down to is THAT even worth the effort. Really the only benefit is native control hooks for the play/pause and such.

5 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yeah thy could easily release it as a Web App like Hulu did as well; but then it comes down to is THAT even worth the effort. Really the only benefit is native control hooks for the play/pause and such.

Exactly.  So like I say, cost.  Why bother?

2 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Exactly.  So like I say, cost.  Why bother?

I guess, because they can easily afford it, already did an XBox app, and Windows 10 has a billion devices.

1 hour ago, wotsit said:

I guess, because they can easily afford it, already did an XBox app, and Windows 10 has a billion devices.

"Because they can afford it" is not a business decision making strategy.

A billion devices, please show me the breakdown of how many use it as their primary device to watch streamed content?  I don't have that figure. Neither do you.  Disney do.

🤷‍♂️