Case Side Cover Warm to Hot Feeling While Gaming

bikeman25

Hello there

Recently upgraded video card in this Asus G11CD-K System,  and wondering if it's normal or a sign of a problem when the case side cover is hot while gaming?     did i buy a too wide of a card for my Asus G11CD-K OEM Desktop case?   is it safe to use til i can get the money for a newer case, and then transfer all the hardware to a newer case?   

New card is Geforce 1660 Super SC ultra gaming from EVGA

Mindovermaster

What case do you have?

What temps are you getting?

As long as you have good airflow, it shouldn't be so hot,

bikeman25
Posted (edited)

Well Case right now is OEM Asus G11CD-K Desktop with Intel I7 7700,  16gb of ram,  EVGA 1660 Super SC ultra gaming,  Airflow i'd say isn't the best,  no room for front intake,  1 Exhaust fan in the rear,  Power supply that sucks up air and exhausts it out the back as well.     Temps range for video card anywhere from 68C to 86C depending on the game and settings, supposely still in range, but not the best temps.     Think best possible solution is purchasing a newer case or having a local shop transfer all the hardware eventually to a newer more roomier gaming case i suppose

Room temp is around 75-79F  right now,  as trying to conserve energy and keep A/C off,  do have my floor fan on full blast though trying to at least get some cooled air in here

Mindovermaster

68C to 86C is fine for a graphics card. You may be confusing that with your CPU. As long as you aren't hitting 100C on your GPU*, you are OK.

As for fans, front fans are NEEDED. Brings in cool air from the front. I have 2 fans in the front. And my GPU nevcer went above 60C.

So yeah, a new case is needed much. :)

Edit: It's 78F in the room right now.

My CPU: 38C

My GPU: 49C

Edited by Mindovermaster
bikeman25

Currently for CPU 

37C

GPU 

54C

My issue this time seems to be the GPU at this point

Mindovermaster

You do realize GPUs get hot when under load (gaming), right?

What you are describing is not uncommon. You are within the normal C range.

Get a new case, with front fans, and the temp of your CPU/GPU should be lower.

bikeman25

Will get a newer case as soon as possible.    And side panel won't be hot to the touch most likely with the new case either

Mindovermaster
27 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Will get a newer case as soon as possible.    And side panel won't be hot to the touch most likely with the new case either

Who ever touches their case? Mine is stocked under my desk. I don't need to feel it to check if it is cool or hot... Beyond me...

Jim K

Is your GPU or CPU throttling? I'm really not seeing anything worrisome in this thread to warrant a move to a new case which comes with its own risk (depending on comfort/knowledge level handling computer hardware).

With regards to moving to a new case. The motherboard appears to follow the standard mATX layout, so that shouldn't be a problem. Depending on the case, and if you're using the OEM PSU, you may run into an issue with the 4-pin CPU power cable length. For example, if the new case has the PSU at the bottom the OEM PSU 4-pin cable might not be long enough...they do have extension cables though.  

bikeman25

Well The PSU is upgraded EVGA G3 650 Watt,   Case cover was just really warm to the touch, and wasn't sure if that was normal or not,    not sure if i got a wider video card than my old one or not.    Couldn't even fit the Asus OEM video card bracket thing that came with the case after i installed the new one.     

Not sure if GPU is throttling or not,  seemed to operate at same speed,  thought i smelled like a burning smell,  but couldn't fully tell on that aspect.    Didn't think it warranted a Fire Department response unless i seen smoke or seen flames,   When i closed the cover with the new card in the slot,  it was right nearly against the side cover,  even the pci-e power plug,  seems much wider than my old video card---i stink at measuring stuff, so i probably didn't take in the width in my factors in picking a newer video card

That may warrant a new case, but not sure at this point

Jim K
Just now, bikeman25 said:

Well The PSU is upgraded EVGA G3 650 Watt,   Case cover was just really warm to the touch, and wasn't sure if that was normal or not,    not sure if i got a wider video card than my old one or not.    Couldn't even fit the Asus OEM video card bracket thing that came with the case after i installed the new one.     

Not sure if GPU is throttling or not,  seemed to operate at same speed,  thought i smelled like a burning smell,  but couldn't fully tell on that aspect.    Didn't think it warranted a Fire Department response unless i seen smoke or seen flames,   When i closed the cover with the new card in the slot,  it was right nearly against the side cover,  even the pci-e power plug,  seems much wider than my old video card---i stink at measuring stuff, so i probably didn't take in the width in my factors in picking a newer video card

That may warrant a new case, but not sure at this point

Well, with the GPU basically right up against the side panel ... the GPU is gonna heat it up a little.  Looking at images of, what might be your EVGA card, it appears that part of the heat sink isn't covered by a shroud which may cause a little more heat to radiate to the panel (my theory).  

I would recommend monitoring the GPU/CPU for throttling while gaming (HWInfo or CPU-Z).  If they are throttling or hitting some absurd temperatures than a new case may be clearly justified.  Just hate for you to risk bricking your system...

bikeman25

Yeah i hate to risk bricking it as well,  so why making sure i make proper decision, and will monitor the temps more closely.     and go from there

• Like 1
bikeman25

All of a Sudden just started warming up,  know the A/C is off now since may storm, so family turned it off,  fan on the floor still on full blast.   hopefully it goes back down to normal temp of around 53-55C doing light stuff, like Secondlife, watching youtube videos, etc

Video card temp currently.jpg

Jim K

Yea, that is pretty dang warm if you're not stressing it.

bikeman25
Posted (edited)

Yeah not stressing, may have been an issue with Secondlife/Firestorm viewer a moment, cooled back down to 56C now, so trying to determine what caused that little issue lol.     Utlitzation now 11 percent lol, nearly idle basically lol.   did check machine for any infections, and nothing found, so hmmms

No idea what caused it to goto 98 Percent utlization there for about 5 minutes

Mindovermaster

You ever try cleaning out your case? dust build up can do that.

Also, did you repaste your GPU? Coulds be the stuff on there dried up.

bikeman25
Posted (edited)

Well GPU was brand new in box,  Dust clean out done with my Electric duster before i installed the new card, and it was done at the PC shop in February when they installed my new CPU Cooler,  and done it twice since been home with both the Xpower electric duster, and Can of compressed air as well.

I try to keep both this Desktop and Laptop dust free as possible, usually dusted once a month, maybe too much, but got in habit of doing that years ago --and if i ever do get a new case, gonna make sure it has dust filters on it so dusting job will be probably even easier lol, be first time with dust filters.

in fact plan on dusting out laptop this upcoming weekend once again

this one was virtually spotless inside when i installed the video card,  was no poofs of dust coming off anything,  but still cleaned it then anyways.      ((i think i installed the video card correctly,  does seem to sit lower than my older card did for some reason, yet in the same spot on the motherboard.   I'll have to open it maybe tomorrow morning and get Pictures, and check a few things))

note the support piece did not fit back on with new card, as wasn't enough space left 

((pictures coming tomorrow of newer card and such))

Old VIdeo card and Support.jpg

Edited by bikeman25
Mindovermaster

Even though the GPU is new, it could still have dried up with several years of shelf storage.

bikeman25

True didn't think about that part

Jim K
13 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Even though the GPU is new, it could still have dried up with several years of shelf storage.

11 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

True didn't think about that part

No, just no.  Don't go cracking open an under warranty (EVGA 3-year) GPU to reapply paste.  The 1660 Super itself is about 8 months old...released October 2019.  So, just no.

Secondlife/Firestorm are some VR viewers ... right?  That could explain the increase in temps.  If you are really concerned about the temps...just get a case.

bikeman25
Posted (edited)

Not using VR just using standard monitor, and keyboard, and mouse with Secondlife/Firestorm 3rd party viewer, and not cracking open video card to reapply paste since under warranty.     And Gonna just get a case, and get the hardware transferred..  Maybe hardware transferred by local shop depending on price, and such

Jim K
1 minute ago, bikeman25 said:

Not using VR just using standard monitor, and keyboard, and mouse with Secondlife/Firestorm 3rd party viewer

Yea, I meant virtual worlds ... not VR (virtual reality) ... my bad.  They are still 3d things going on in a virtual world...it could be taxing the GPU a bit?  I'm not familiar with these two programs though.

Mindovermaster

Actually, from what I know, EVGA is less strict about opening up the casing of the GPU yourself. As long as you don't stick a knife into the GPU, I doubt they'd care. As lomg you are gentle with it.

If you are not wise in pasting, however, I would just RMA it. That and/or get a better case.

bikeman25

Yeah could be taxing it maybe at times,  think i'll just see what local shop will charge for a newer case, and hardware transfer, and be done with this.  

• Like 1
Jim K
Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Actually, from what I know, EVGA is less strict about opening up the casing of the GPU yourself. As long as you don't stick a knife into the GPU, I doubt they'd care. As lomg you are gentle with it.

If you are not wise in pasting, however, I would just RMA it. That and/or get a better case.

Still a terrible idea, no offense.