Grass and dandelion issues

In my yard, there are some spots that are just dirt. There use to be grass but it just doesnt grow there anymore. What is a good product I can use to help in these areas? Also in some of these areas, dandelions are all over the place and I would like to kill those little buggers. I dont want to spend too much money in this area while i am experimenting. Once I find a method that will work, I can spend more in the area once i know it works. To start, I do not want to spend more than $30. There is a lot of sun in the area until about 2PM then there is mostly shade in the later afternoon.

Thx

35 minutes ago, exotoxic said:

Thx for that but i was thinking of some sort of chemical or something similar that will kill them for me which someone has used and know it is effective. I dont have the time to do each dandelion individually. :) Basically, I am looking for a product that will do both grow grass and kill dandelions.

Do you regularly (say 4 times a year) apply a quality weed and feed to your lawn? That's all we do. 

7 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

Do you regularly (say 4 times a year) apply a quality weed and feed to your lawn? That's all we do. 

To be honest, I wasnt a big lawn guy until this yr. I was basically cut it and let it grow, wash, rinse repeat as the saying goes. What product do you use weed and feed?I was just reading about that on home depot.  Do i need to buy a spreader?

Thx

You'll need a spreader. I use a blend for southern lawns. Your local HomeDepot or Lowes could suggest something for your area.