• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Cortana Win 10 2020 May update - useless now.......

Recommended Posts

Dutchie64    736

Hi,

After updating one of my PC's to the 2020-4 update, I found (besides some other things) that Cortana is basically braindead now.
The things I really liked, and used, were the quick options to dictate reminders or calendar appointments, tell me my schedule for the day/week, tell my open tasks etc.
It even showed all my Cortana reminders and/or Todo stuff inside the calendar app.

Now, not so much..... All of the above will give me a web search result. My Integration with Calendar is gone, and it seems there's no way to get it back.

Is this the new real for Cortana? If so... Well done MS for butchering another bit of integration that actually helped people.

If someone know any workarounds to get things working again (besides rolling back the update), I'm all ears.

Oh.. I don't use O365 btw..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
waysidesc    853
Posted (edited)

Cortana had a use before ?

 

the calendar and email integration were nice, but the concept as a whole was marketed like a gimmick and was wholly unprofessional. not to mention the impracticality of some aspects.

 

there are other ways to do this ...

 

maybe it is based on a user's region ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard C.    289

You can easily remove Corona app with powershell, first thing I did given its new form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,872
1 hour ago, Richard C. said:

You can easily remove Corona app with powershell, first thing I did given its new form.

Corona app🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dutchie64    736
12 hours ago, waysidesc said:

Cortana had a use before ?

 

the calendar and email integration were nice, but the concept as a whole was marketed like a gimmick and was wholly unprofessional. not to mention the impracticality of some aspects.

 

there are other ways to do this ...

 

maybe it is based on a user's region ?

Well, despite the limited use for many, I enjoyed the fact that I could dictate things, instead of opening an app and do it manually. Got so used to it, that I'm really going to miss that.

What one might find useless, is very useful to someone else. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    16,870
1 hour ago, Dutchie64 said:

Well, despite the limited use for many, I enjoyed the fact that I could dictate things, instead of opening an app and do it manually. Got so used to it, that I'm really going to miss that.

What one might find useless, is very useful to someone else. 😉

I think Microsoft is coming with a store app for Cortana, but I agree it doesn't help when they pull this crap all the time, at least make the app available first before crippling it in Windows :/ 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dutchie64    736
1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

I think Microsoft is coming with a store app for Cortana, but I agree it doesn't help when they pull this crap all the time, at least make the app available first before crippling it in Windows :/ 

Isn't the new Cortana already the Store app? If not, than I -really- don't understand what they're doing at MS HQ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
waysidesc    853
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dutchie64 said:

Well, despite the limited use for many, I enjoyed the fact that I could dictate things, instead of opening an app and do it manually. Got so used to it, that I'm really going to miss that.

What one might find useless, is very useful to someone else. 😉

I didn't say it was useless ... but all right then.

 

You could use a previous version of Windows 10 ... 1909 should still be supported for a while ?

 

Or rely on other offerings such as Windows speech recognition.

 

Maybe leave feedback in the feedback hub, though Microsoft ... obviously does not care too much about anything that users want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
waysidesc    853
6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I think Microsoft is coming with a store app for Cortana, but I agree it doesn't help when they pull this crap all the time, at least make the app available first before crippling it in Windows :/ 

No idea you even cared about that sort of thing !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    16,870
1 hour ago, waysidesc said:

No idea you even cared about that sort of thing !

What sort of thing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,872
1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

What sort of thing?

If I were to guess, the subject of the thread. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    16,870
6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

If I were to guess, the subject of the thread. 

Yeah Cortana is pretty useless in The Netherlands except for Dutchie64's use cases (who also lives here) :p 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dutchie64    736
12 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Yeah Cortana is pretty useless in The Netherlands except for Dutchie64's use cases (who also lives here) :p 

Crazy Dutchman present! 😄
It worked fine for me, with all Windows settings set to non-Dutch 😉

First they killed it on my Android phone from the Launcher, now they're lobotomized the poor girl on Win10.
I can't even start apps anymore by voice, I get a web search on how to start applications in Win10. 😄
Oh well... It was fun while it lasted.... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
waysidesc    853
On 6/19/2020 at 1:43 AM, Dutchie64 said:

Crazy Dutchman present! 😄
It worked fine for me, with all Windows settings set to non-Dutch 😉

First they killed it on my Android phone from the Launcher, now they're lobotomized the poor girl on Win10.
I can't even start apps anymore by voice, I get a web search on how to start applications in Win10. 😄
Oh well... It was fun while it lasted.... 

speech recognition can start apps by voice.

 

maybe use that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dutchie64    736
On 6/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, waysidesc said:

speech recognition can start apps by voice.

 

maybe use that ?

No.. But thanks for the tip. It's just plain silly that even the most basic functionality of Cortana has been removed.
I'll just have to go back to the old 'manual input' way of working 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
waysidesc    853
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dutchie64 said:

No.. But thanks for the tip. It's just plain silly that even the most basic functionality of Cortana has been removed.
I'll just have to go back to the old 'manual input' way of working 😉

no. the writing has been on the wall for a long time now.

 

sure, 'manual input' ... by choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.