No Internet Connectivity when Laptop is docked

Hi, just got a new 840 G6 after the screen on my G5 went, I've got a weird issue in my temp home working setup.

Basically, if I dock the laptop, the wifi shows as connected but has no internet connectivity, undock and I'm fine.

I have ran support assistance and updated the BIOS I have went into the BIOS and the setting called "LAN / WLAN auto switching" but this was unchecked. I tried checking it, booting (no difference) and then rebooting and unchecking but this has also made no difference.

Power settings have wifi adapter set for Max performance I also unchecked a box against the adapter itself in Device Manager that allows the system to turn it off to save power.

I don't think this is a power savings thing as I say, it seems to be still connected, just no interet connection.

If I plug in a wired cable it works but that's not an option for where I have a desk setup.

I'm sure I've missed something silly but I've been going around in circles for an hour now and I really just need to get back to work.

9 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Hi, just got a new 840 G6 after the screen on my G5 went, I've got a weird issue in my temp home working setup.

Basically, if I dock the laptop, the wifi shows as connected but has no internet connectivity, undock and I'm fine.

I have ran support assistance and updated the BIOS I have went into the BIOS and the setting called "LAN / WLAN auto switching" but this was unchecked. I tried checking it, booting (no difference) and then rebooting and unchecking but this has also made no difference.

Power settings have wifi adapter set for Max performance I also unchecked a box against the adapter itself in Device Manager that allows the system to turn it off to save power.

I don't think this is a power savings thing as I say, it seems to be still connected, just no interet connection.

If I plug in a wired cable it works but that's not an option for where I have a desk setup.

I'm sure I've missed something silly but I've been going around in circles for an hour now and I really just need to get back to work.

What are you docking it to?  Does the dock have it's own networking going on?

4 minutes ago, George P said:

What are you docking it to?  Does the dock have it's own networking going on?

It's an HPE slimline docking station, like the one below.

It doesn't have any Ethernet cable plugged in, If I move my docking station over to near the router and plug it in, it works fine but obviously I should just be able to rely on wireless - my G5 was absolutely fine working like this.

D9Y32AA_UUF-2_T1525410983.png

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

It doesn't have any Ethernet cable plugged in, If I move my docking station over to near the router and plug it in, it works fine but obviously I should just be able to rely on wireless - my G5 was absolutely fine working like this.

Weird, maybe it somehow thinks that when you're docked it's using the docks connection?

What does ipconfig show when "connected but no internet" ... or the "view your network properties" under network status.

Doing a quick Google ... do you have a services in Windows (not the BIOS) called "HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching UWP Service"?  If so, maybe try to set it to manual and/or disable it.

I've never used a dock...but I would assume something in Windows (or maybe some HP software) is assuming you're using the dock for networking when connected to it...so it is "switching" from Wifi to Ethernet.  That would be annoying unless you were prompted ... which apparently you're not.

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

What does ipconfig show when "connected but no internet" ... or the "view your network properties" under network status.

Doing a quick Google ... do you have a services in Windows (not the BIOS) called "HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching UWP Service"?  If so, maybe try to set it to manual and/or disable it.

I've never used a dock...but I would assume something in Windows (or maybe some HP software) is assuming you're using the dock for networking when connected to it...so it is "switching" from Wifi to Ethernet.  That would be annoying unless you were prompted ... which apparently you're not.

The only time I've seen anyone using a docking station they had this exact same issue and it turned out to be exactly what you said. HP software was assuming the docking station was used for internet.

Hello,

I have never used a Hewlett-Packard 840 G6 notebook computer, with or without a Slimline Docking Station, but I wonder if the notebook computer has an "Ethernet pass-through" option in its BIOS (UEFI) firmware.

If that is the case, does toggling this option change the behavior?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Sorry, by the time I figured out what the problem was yesterday, my brain was officially dead and I was just about done with computers for the day.

Cutting a longer story short - the issue is caused by plugging a monitor into the docking station ONLY by using DVI Cable into DVI to Display Port adaptor. If I go straight VGA from monitor to docking station it works fine.

It is not the docking station as I went to the office in the afternoon after I was considering rebuilding the laptop and the new G6 worked absolutely fine on my dock at work with the exact same setup. I brought the dock and power supply back from the office assuming there must be something wrong with my dock despite the fact it works fine with the G5 - nope same problem at home. it was when I was swapping between the two docks and two power supplies that I accidentally forgot to plug in the monitor and noticed it had continued to work. 

Plug in monitor - no connectivity
unplug monitor - instant connectivity.

So this leaves the DVI to Display port Adapter, DVI Cable and monitor (when using DvI) left to swap out to try and isolate what's going on.

I'm going to guess the adapter is creating some sort of short that's causing the issue but this is by far the weirdest issue I've ever found.

15 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Sorry, by the time I figured out what the problem was yesterday, my brain was officially dead and I was just about done with computers for the day.

Cutting a longer story short - the issue is caused by plugging a monitor into the docking station ONLY by using DVI Cable into DVI to Display Port adaptor. If I go straight VGA from monitor to docking station it works fine.

It is not the docking station as I went to the office in the afternoon after I was considering rebuilding the laptop and the new G6 worked absolutely fine on my dock at work with the exact same setup. I brought the dock and power supply back from the office assuming there must be something wrong with my dock despite the fact it works fine with the G5 - nope same problem at home. it was when I was swapping between the two docks and two power supplies that I accidentally forgot to plug in the monitor and noticed it had continued to work. 

So this leaves the DVI to Display port Adapter, DVI Cable and monitor (when using DvI) left to swap out to try and isolate what's going on.

I'm going to guess the adapter is creating some sort of short that's causing the issue but this is by far the weirdest issue I've ever found.

That's crazy, to think the video connection would mess with your networking.   Sounds like you noticed it out of luck.

1 minute ago, George P said:

That's crazy, to think the video connection would mess with your networking.   Sounds like you noticed it out of luck.

Absolutely out of luck, I hadn't plugged it by accident.

I mean if this was a suspected hardware issue from a build, you absolutely would unplug components and slowly add them until it fails but I did not even begin to think that would be the case. 

On 6/18/2020 at 5:10 AM, Skiver said:

Several of our laptops at my workplace use that same dock and I hate the HPs drivers for it. Our workplace seems to have a customized driver as the wifi continues to function while on the dock but it still disables all laptop side ports and forces the dock USB, video, and audio ports to be used.

edit; probably not a custom driver then after re-reading OPs last post about the DisplayPort to DVI adapter being the cause

Just now, Brandon H said:

Several of our laptops at my workplace use that same dock and I hate the HPs drivers for it. Our workplace seems to have a customized driver as the wifi continues to function while on the dock but it still disables all laptop side ports and forces the dock USB, video, and audio ports to be used.

I've honestly never had a problem before, I did find out afterwards that the HP Support Assistant and Image Assistant (because why have one tool when you can have two) does not firmware update the dock. However, we have a "newer" model that didn't seem to have any firmware anyway or wasn't easily found if there was.

26 minutes ago, Skiver said:

that is bizarre, maybe something weird with the adapter. our monitors use DisplayPort and have no issue like that

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

that is bizarre, maybe something weird with the adapter. our monitors use DisplayPort and have no issue like that

It's the same adapter that's been working with my G5 for months now, this is the thing that still leaves me confused and still slightly concerned about the laptop. Everything works absolutely fine with the G5, this only became a problem when I got a G6.

1 minute ago, Skiver said:

It's the same adapter that's been working with my G5 for months now, this is the thing that still leaves me confused and still slightly concerned about the laptop. Everything works absolutely fine with the G5, this only became a problem when I got a G6.

yeah that is bizarre

• 8 months later...

Good day Mate ,

I just had the same issue on 2 units but it was solved after a DisplayLink driver update, Update this driver and it will be solved :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-840-g6-notebook-pc/26609796/swItemId/ob-258035-1