• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

I am in need of a new printer, please suggest some!

jnelsoninjax    14,653

I have a Brother laser printer that I love, but it has died, and I need to replace it. The one I had was a scanner/printer/fax machine, now I don't really need all of these features, but it is nice to have. I do not need color printing, or wireless printing (never could get it to work). So with those features in mind, please suggest some that I should look at. Thanks!

Steven P.    16,901

I get the cheapest Lol but my suggestion is to check if your choice of printer supports 3rd party noname brand ink cartridges like my Epson WF-3720 does.

Epson has a free cloud print service so you can print from your mobile phone, but I have never used it because I have never figured out how the printer can turn itself on remotely (or even when I am home) like my older HP used to which makes cloud print useless. That printer also supports printing over bluetooth (mobile again) and you can also setup an Epson print email address to send print jobs to 😛 

However, the software is just as bloated as HP or Canon so you'll have to look online for tips, such as disabling the status monitor that complains if you're using 3rd party ink cartridges 😛

With other things, I find having a scanner really important, and as you said about fax, you can now substitute it with cloud print or via email address these days :) 

adrynalyne    13,912
Posted (edited)

Honestly, stick with brother laser printers if you want workhorses with solid drivers for just about any OS. I’ve had them for years and made a huge mistake of switching last time. Never again. 

• Like 3

+BudMan    3,730

So you just want a usb mono laser printer, or do you want it to have ethernet?

I have a brother hl-3170cdw, for few years now.. Very happy with it - other than wish it was a bit smaller ;)

• Like 1

PGHammer    1,761
29 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have a Brother laser printer that I love, but it has died, and I need to replace it. The one I had was a scanner/printer/fax machine, now I don't really need all of these features, but it is nice to have. I do not need color printing, or wireless printing (never could get it to work). So with those features in mind, please suggest some that I should look at. Thanks!

HP laser printers (or even HP inkjet printers); in EITHER case, the darn things hold up!  Folks hate inkjet printers in general due to ink costs (which I get; Mom and I each have HP inkjets of different models); however, in HP's case, the printers themselves wear like steel (better than iron).  If you want printers that hold up (either ink OR laser), HP is your only realistic choice.  (Still.  After decades in the printer business and many MANY challengers.)

Mindovermaster    3,682

I have this one.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-Wireless-Replenishment-G3Q58A/dp/B01N9YOAZ6

Monochrome, has Ethernet connection.

It connects fine to all my devices. Linux, Android, iOS. (No Windows here) You used to have to install drivers in Linux, but with the newer kernels, it's included.

3 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

HP laser printers (or even HP inkjet printers); in EITHER case, the darn things hold up!  Folks hate inkjet printers in general due to ink costs (which I get; Mom and I each have HP inkjets of different models); however, in HP's case, the printers themselves wear like steel (better than iron).  If you want printers that hold up (either ink OR laser), HP is your only realistic choice.  (Still.  After decades in the printer business and many MANY challengers.)

Never had that problem, huh...

PGHammer    1,761
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have this one.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-Wireless-Replenishment-G3Q58A/dp/B01N9YOAZ6

Monochrome, has Ethernet connection.

It connects fine to all my devices. Linux, Android, iOS. (No Windows here) You used to have to install drivers in Linux, but with the newer kernels, it's included.

That is, in fact, the OTHER reason I prefer HP (either inkjet or laser); the JetDirect print service for their inkjet AND laser printers.  Available via HP.com for every OS except Linux and Solaris - but included with most Linux distributions and with both Solaris distributions - which makes them multi-OS ready from the jump - in addition to wearing like steel).  JetDirect is even available for Android - so even phones and tablets have no excuses.

• Like 1

jnelsoninjax    14,653

It turns out that the printer still works, just the outlet it was plugged into does not!

• Like 1

Steven P.    16,901

Everyone in this thread:

giphy.gif

:rofl: 

• Haha 3

neufuse    4,405
5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

It turns out that the printer still works, just the outlet it was plugged into does not!

man that's like the inverse of my Canon MCF726 printer... every time I print it trips the circuit breakers 😂 (AFCI breakers had them for some reason, had to put it behind a UPS to stop this)

• Haha 1

adrynalyne    13,912
1 hour ago, neufuse said:

man that's like the inverse of my Canon MCF726 printer... every time I print it trips the circuit breakers 😂 (AFCI breakers had them for some reason, had to put it behind a UPS to stop this)

I had my outlet moved to a different breaker because of that. Laser printers especially draw an insane load when they ramp up. 

neufuse    4,405
24 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I had my outlet moved to a different breaker because of that. Laser printers especially draw an insane load when they ramp up. 

yeah, it's that quick spike in wattage that trips them... need to level it out just a tiny bit with a surge suppressor or a UPS