New WD Blue SSD says SanDisk?

I just bought another 1tb WD Blue SSD. I already have 2 of them.

I loaded up the WD Software, and I noticed it says its a "SanDisk SSD G5 BICS4", all my other WD SSD's say "WD BLUE Solid State Drive 3d".

I guess sandisk and wd drives are exactly the same, and its just packaging, and some how i got the wrong one? the box looks identical to my other wd SSD's. 

The firmware said it was uptodate. 

Is this common? Should i be worried?

WesternDigitalSSDDashboard_2020-06-18_12-52-58.png

WesternDigitalSSDDashboard_2020-06-18_12-52-53.png

WesternDigitalSSDDashboard_2020-06-18_12-52-38.png

IMG_82229.jpg

Yeah, WD owns Sandisk. They just probably used their firmware. You're OK. :)

Edit: Or just rebranded it...

• Like 1

Hello,

Western Digital acquired SanDisk in 2016.  You might want to check with Western Digital's tech support on this, just to make sure it isn't a manufacturing defect of some kind.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 5 weeks later...

I had the exact issue. Same model number on the drive. Same packaging,  exact.  Strangely enough,  it has a different firmware version, despite both being "up to date". It runs slower and runs 3 degrees Celsius hotter than my 2 original WD Blue drives at idle. This one in question has a Manufacture date of June 2, 2020 while the others that show as original WD were made April 20, 2020. I spoke with Sandisk, they say they don't support the drive because it's WD. While WD says it's the same drive. I beg to differ 100%. This is in fact a different drive, with different memory and performance.  I simply want to know which model Sandisk i actually bought.  PLUS, ULTRA or another version.  I'm completely dissatisfied with the shady label swapping. If i wanted a Sandisk drive, I would have ordered one. 

On 6/18/2020 at 2:08 PM, adrynalyne said:

Wouldn’t worry about it. Sandisk is owned by WD. Windows probably picked the wrong identifier. 

Yeah, no big deal.. You buy a Lexus and get a Toyota,  It's all the same company 😂👍

22 minutes ago, B.B said:

Yeah, no big deal.. You buy a Lexus and get a Toyota,  It's all the same company 😂👍

Completely not the same thing.

Probably closer to buying a Hyundai and getting a Kia. Pretty sure the WD drive is just a rebranded SanDisk.

23 hours ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

Completely not the same thing.

It's really the same thing. I have the same situation.  The drives seen ar WD are much faster than the drives seen as Sandisk.  I have 2 of each, tested on the same adapter.  Identical situation and tests. The 2 Sandisk are several degrees Celsius warmer as well. Lexus ES vs Toyota Camry.  

Hello,

If you are still within the return period, return it to the seller.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

If you are still within the return period, return it to the seller.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I'm hoping for a FW fix, but i still have some time to return.  Thanks

Considering manufacturers often use different controllers and such under the same SSD name (especially with budget gear) it's kinda like complaining water is wet.  Sure, you can do it, and someone might listen, but its pointless either way.

Hello,

It is mislabeled and according to its owner, poorer-performing than two identical drives he purchased.  This implies a bait-and-switch on the part of the manufacturer, where a lower-performing part is substituted without any notification or discount.  As an individual consumer, ones options are limited, but returning the drive to the seller within the return period is a completely valid response.  If enough negative feedback is left and consumers do this, the manufacturer may be forced to change their ways and/or be removed from that marketplace.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

23 hours ago, LostCat said:

Considering manufacturers often use different controllers and such under the same SSD name (especially with budget gear) it's kinda like complaining water is wet.  Sure, you can do it, and someone might listen, but its pointless either way.

16 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

It is mislabeled and according to its owner, poorer-performing than two identical drives he purchased.  This implies a bait-and-switch on the part of the manufacturer, where a lower-performing part is substituted without any notification or discount.  As an individual consumer, ones options are limited, but returning the drive to the seller within the return period is a completely valid response.  If enough negative feedback is left and consumers do this, the manufacturer may be forced to change their ways and/or be removed from that marketplace.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Unless the actual drive is also labeled Sandisk all it means is they didn't properly change the drive firmware to say WD.

You'd have to go against every SSD manufacturer using a generic name on their product to change that.

15 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

They actually offered to replace the drives. They admitted that there is an error on their end, with the firmware and identifier string. I had multiple contacts back and forth. Basically,  it's a similar drive, labeled exactly the same as the slightly ( a few months) older drives. As I've said, i have 2 sets of each manufacture date, there is most certainly a difference in performance and operating temperature. Just be aware,  if you buy any created June 2 2020 ( possibly more dates) you will also experience this. For me, I agree with Aryeh... it's not a great business practice.  Thanks for everyone's attention. Have a good day!

Why are we going on about this? He's just fine, he can use it no matter what it's called...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As some have posted before, there is nothing to worry about because they are the same product (same controller, same NAND...). I had the same "issue" a week ago, but now after reading a lot I'm just convinced that the inferior results are just margin of error.

Please read this:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11792/the-sandisk-ultra-3d-1tb-and-western-digital-wd-blue-3d-nand-1tb-ssd-review

• Like 2