• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

NASA Admin: Commercial Crew vehicles to anywhere

Recommended Posts

DocM    16,878
Posted (edited)

OUTSTANDING!!

 

NASA's going all-in on commercial crew services, including beyond Earth orbit.

 

Jim Bridenstine ✓ @JimBridenstine
BREAKING: @NASA is developing the process to fly astronauts on commercial suborbital spacecraft. Whether it’s suborbital, orbital, or deep space, NASA will utilize our nation’s innovative commercial capabilities. RFI will be released next week. 
https://t.co/MOvRMywZAK

 

 

 

Edited by DocM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan    20,905

IMO, it's time to build a new station in a much larger orbit. One that can serve as a gas station, parking lot and maybe even construction yard to moving further out into the solar system.  Get commercial interests in on THAT project and things will really start to get going...

 

ISS is alright as a lab, but it's not really fit for what is needed.  Besides, it's well past it's use by date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    4,382
16 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

IMO, it's time to build a new station in a much larger orbit. One that can serve as a gas station, parking lot and maybe even construction yard to moving further out into the solar system.  Get commercial interests in on THAT project and things will really start to get going...

 

ISS is alright as a lab, but it's not really fit for what is needed.  Besides, it's well past it's use by date.

I'm still waiting for the rotating station from 2001 space odyssey 😃 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan    20,905
Just now, neufuse said:

I'm still waiting for the rotating station from 2001 space odyssey 😃 

It's not an impractical design...  Though you probably want to actually FINISH it before setting it spinning... 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    4,382
1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

It's not an impractical design...  Though you probably want to actually FINISH it before setting it spinning... 😉

 

maybe no self aware computers either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan    20,905
Just now, neufuse said:

maybe no self aware computers either

As long as you don't give them conflicting orders...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DocM    16,878
Posted (edited)

Jeff Bezos (Blue Origin) is a proponent of O'Neill cylinders. Think RAMA; a mile(s) wide cylinder rotates on its long axis to create "gravity."

 

Musk has mentioned a rotating deck for Starship akin to Discovery One's, but only used periodically to prevent muscle decay, bone loss, etc. on the way & back from Mars or ? Perhaps an exercise or  sleep deck. More likely for the 18 meter wide "Starship 2" than the current 9 meter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.