What's the Diff?

Hi there,

Is there a big difference between RedHat Linux and Mandrake Linux? I mean will i beable to run programs that say for RedHat on Mandrake? and why does RedHat cost like $107 in stores?

Hi there,

Is there a big difference between RedHat Linux and Mandrake Linux? I mean will i beable to run programs that say for RedHat on Mandrake? and why does RedHat cost like $107 in stores?

Of all the Linux distros those two are very similar. Both are RPM based.

All Linux distros should run the same software but you may need to may need to compile some from source unless your distro comes with an integrated package management system.

You can get apt4rpm to solve some of these problems with Mandrake and Red Hat.

Why does RedHat cost like $107 in stores. Some people buy it.

Myself, I prefer Debian. Nobody owns it. It's totally free.

Alright, so let me get this straight, if i download the 3 cd's of Red Hat from the internet (from there site ofcourse), it's no different then the one in the stores that cost like $107.00

And does Debian support the installations of rpm's cuz i am planning on using this linux partition as a designs thing for 3d and shake and stuff =)

Oh Ok.

Is there a site that has Video Tutorials on Linux from basic to advance so i can just watch them and learn it really quicktly or is there anywhere i can buy videos from? Like i checked www.vtc.com but for some reason they don't seem to have it.

Alright, so let me get this straight, if i download the 3 cd's of Red Hat from the internet (from there site ofcourse), it's no different then the one in the stores that cost like $107.00

And does Debian support the installations of rpm's cuz i am planning on using this linux partition as a designs thing for 3d and shake and stuff =)

RPMs are lame.

Debian uses APT-GET (you can use a GUI frontend too) to install new applications. It's rediculously easy and unlike RPM it handles all the dependencies automatically.

I used the Knoppix CD to install Debian to my hard drive. You only need to download one . ISO file (which has a LOT of stuff) and you can even preview it off the CD-ROM to test the hardware autodetection. The is a HD install script to set it up properly.

The great thing about Debian is that even if you use an old installation disk you can APT-GET yourself all of the latest goodies and bring you system up to snuff without ever having to reinstall the OS. In theory I can upgrade my kernal to 2.6.1 but I haven't tried this yet.

RedHat users are always upgrade by installing version 9 overtop of version 8, etc...

Alright, that's really cool that you can actually use a GUI to install applications and such but see my problem is that BOTH MAYA 5 and SHAKE 3.01 is a RMP. How will i beable to install that if i get Debian??

Alright, that's really cool that you can actually use a GUI to install applications and such but see my problem is that BOTH MAYA 5 and SHAKE 3.01 is a RMP. How will i beable to install that if i get Debian??

Both of those items are RedHat specific. And only with rather old versions of RedHat too.

Shake is only supported on RedHat Linux v7.2 and Maya is only supported on RedHat Linux 7.3 or 8.0. Therefore you really can't install them on the same system and expect them to be supported properly.

Don't expect much in the way of upgrades as it doesn't seem like they're very committed to Linux.

actually, my friend installed Shake on Mandrake 9.2 and it worked alright i guess, i was trying to isntall shake and Maya on Lindows since i tought they wre both kinda the same but they are totally diff, LINDOWS SUCKS ASS!

actually, my friend installed Shake on Mandrake 9.2 and it worked alright i guess, i was trying to isntall shake and Maya on Lindows since i tought they wre both kinda the same but they are totally diff, LINDOWS SUCKS ASS!

On the rather large assumption that you paid the thousands of dollars that this software costs, if you were to phone Apple and complain about something then they would be quick to point out that the software is only supported on RedHat 7.2

That doesn't mean that it's the only platform that it will work on.