Alternatives to Surface Pro 7

I am looking for alternatives to Surface Pro 7.

I have had it with hardware issues from my previous Surface Pro(s)

Specifically, I am looking for a detachable that run Windows 10, has an x86 processor, and supports pen/stylus.

About any 2in1 can do that. What are you going to be doing on it? Programming? Gaming? Streaming? E-Mail?

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

About any 2in1 can do that. What are you going to be doing on it? Programming? Gaming? Streaming? E-Mail?

school work (college)

lot of notetaking (quantum mechanics, chemistry, etc)

how essential is it to be x86 Windows 10?

I just picked up the Lenovo Duet, a Chrome OS tablet with detachable keyboard, and it's great for things like that. It doesn't come with a pen but it does support active pens.

It's $299

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/coming-soon/Lenovo-CT-X636/p/ZZICZCTCT1X

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-chromebook-duet-10-1-tablet-128gb-with-keyboard-ice-blue-iron-gray/6401727.p?skuId=6401727

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Umm, budget, bro? (forgot that)

The price of a Surface Pro 7 + Type Cover + Surface Pen.

25 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

how essential is it to be x86 Windows 10?

100%

22 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

The price of a Surface Pro 7 + Type Cover + Surface Pen.

100%

Can't you just say "around $###"? There is A LOT of Surface prices and other laptops as well.

May I ask why you need x86 Windows 10? j/w

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Can't you just say "around $###"? There is A LOT of Surface prices and other laptops as well.

Let's say around $800

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

May I ask why you need x86 Windows 10? j/w

...because I am using it for school and not looking for a plaything

...need to be able to run Windows 10 and Linux (probably through visualization) for software needs

Do you really need a detachable instead of a 360 convertible? There are not many detachables that aren't Surfaces. 360 degree convertibles are plenty to choose from.

6 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

...because I am using it for school and not looking for a plaything

...need to be able to run Windows 10 and Linux (probably through visualization) for software needs

chrome OS can run linux apps now 😛

though the Duet I mentioned above is ARM based so that limits which linux apps can be used.

the detachable keyboard fad isn't as popular as I think it should be. I know there are some good touchscreen laptops where they keyboard folds all the way back if that's an option as well

The Lenovo Yoga's are a great option. The keyboard flips all the way back so it can essentially be used in tablet mode. Again it doesn't come with a pen but does support Active Pens

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/700-series/Lenovo-Yoga-C740-14/p/88YGC701292 - $679.99

looking around I really can't find any current devices outside of the surface line with detachable keyboards for some reason. Why have OEMs barely taken advantage of that form factor 😕 

All major manufacturers make something in their mid range devices that are convertibles and include active pen support. HP ENVY, Dell Inspiron 2-in-1, Lenovo C600/700 series.

Just make sure you are getting a light weight device with good battery backup.

Also, is a good GPU necessary for the programs you run (not the Intel/MX1xx stuff)? Getting a convertible with a good GPU for your requirements under $1000 was almost impossible for me.

If you can stretch above $1000, Convertible Ultrabooks are very good note taking devices that are superlight and premium in build.

7 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

Do you really need a detachable instead of a 360 convertible? There are not many detachables that aren't Surfaces. 360 degree convertibles are plenty to choose from.

I am looking for a detachable.

I spend a lot of time in the lab and I don't want the keyboard to be folded back and picking-up caustic material.

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

the detachable keyboard fad isn't as popular as I think it should be. I know there are some good touchscreen laptops where they keyboard folds all the way back if that's an option as well

The Lenovo Yoga's are a great option. The keyboard flips all the way back so it can essentially be used in tablet mode. Again it doesn't come with a pen but does support Active Pens

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/700-series/Lenovo-Yoga-C740-14/p/88YGC701292 - $679.99

looking around I really can't find any current devices outside of the surface line with detachable keyboards for some reason. Why have OEMs barely taken advantage of that form factor 😕 

I have the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro and it's not really what I am looking for.

Just now, Mockingbird said:

I spend a lot of time in the lab and I don't want the keyboard to be folded back and picking-up caustic material.

I have the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro and it's not really what I am looking for.

I hate to tell you but I looked everywhere and no one seems to have offered a detachable windows machine since 8.1 besides the surface line.

I don't understand it because it's such a versatile form factor; allows the best of both worlds.

I have one other thought for an alternative if you're interested. You could get a windows tablet and then do a bluetooth keyboard case.

edit: You may be a lucky man; I came across a nice find on Amazon. Officially the Ideapad Miix has been discontinued by Lenovo but you can still find some on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ideapad-I5-8250U-Display-Windows-81CG019JUS/dp/B077B7JDFC/

18 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

All major manufacturers make something in their mid range devices that are convertibles and include active pen support. HP ENVY, Dell Inspiron 2-in-1, Lenovo C600/700 series.

Just make sure you are getting a light weight device with good battery backup.

I am specifically looking for a detachable

18 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

Also, is a good GPU necessary for the programs you run (not the Intel/MX1xx stuff)? Getting a convertible with a good GPU for your requirements under $1000 was almost impossible for me.

No, it is not.

19 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

If you can stretch above $1000

I mean, how much more are you talking?

I am a (college) student so there are certain limits.

26 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

This is probably the most comprehensive list of detachables that exists for Windows

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Convertibles-2-in-1-Tablets.128372.0.html

The Dell Latitude 7200, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet and the HP Spectre Folio (not a true detachable) are my recommendations.

Good Luck.

8 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I mean, how much more are you talking?

I am a (college) student so there are certain limits.

Sorry, I was under the assumption that you were okay with 360 degree convertibles. Hard to find any detachable at all other than the list I have provided regardless of the price.

23 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I hate to tell you but I looked everywhere and no one seems to have offered a detachable windows machine since 8.1 besides the surface line.

I don't understand it because it's such a versatile form factor; allows the best of both worlds.

I have one other thought for an alternative if you're interested. You could get a windows tablet and then do a bluetooth keyboard case.

edit: You may be a lucky man; I came across a nice find on Amazon. Officially the Ideapad Miix has been discontinued by Lenovo but you can still find some on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ideapad-I5-8250U-Display-Windows-81CG019JUS/dp/B077B7JDFC/

Probably the engineering effort needed for a niche category. Laptop design has matured. A 360 degree convertible only needs reengineering the hinges and some minor changes to the chassis. OTOH, A detachable needs complete reengineering of the internals to fit behind a screen within the performance and thermal envelopes and ensuring the center of gravity is low enough while dedicating additional effort for a detachable keyboard that is light, sturdy and feels good to type on.

50 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

This is probably the most comprehensive list of detachables that exists for Windows

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Convertibles-2-in-1-Tablets.128372.0.html

The Dell Latitude 7200, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet and the HP Spectre Folio (not a true detachable) are my recommendations.

Good Luck.

This is great, but a lot of them said "renewed".

Does that means that they are used?

37 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

This is great, but a lot of them said "renewed".

Does that means that they are used?

I believe so, but you don't need to buy them from that link. They are probably listing the cheapest price you can buy. Just search for the same model on your website of choice and you will be good to go.

Just so you note, there are newer models of devices for some of the devices and the list hasn't been updated. I was looking at the 7200 and saw that Dell has a newer 7210 with 10th gen chips from $1079 on their website. https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/2-in-1-laptops-tablets/latitude-12-7210-2-in-1-laptop/spd/latitude-12-7210-2-in-1-laptop?~ck=bt

My recommendation will be to pick the device you like from that list and check for newer versions/better discounts that you can find.

Edited by Tuskd

Hello,

If you are willing to sacrifice the detachable keyboard for a 360° degree hinge to fold it behind the screen, any of Lenovo's X-series of Yogas from their ThinkPad line would do admirably.  I believe most (if not all) are compatible with Wacom stylii.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky