• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Computer randomly turns off.

DaveBob    4

Hello peeps, could you please give me some advice please. My PC randomly turns off. I could be browsing the net or gameing and boom off. Pressing the power button will cause a flash of light from my RGB fans then off again. But if I wiggle my power cable or plug and unplug. It will come back to life. I am thinking its a power cable or PSU issue.

My PSU was bought in 2019 - Corsair 550W CS750M (2019)

Specs

AMD Ryzen 3700x - 2 months old

16GB Corsair ram - 2 months old

samsung NVME SSD - 2 months old

GTX 1080

Any  ideas?

Mindovermaster    3,436

What are your temps like? Are they reaching high temps? CPU/GPU

I think you do not have enough power for that 1080. Plus your other components. So yes, your PSU could be quite lacking.

Around here we normally recommend at least 650W. Especially for your system.

Edited by Mindovermaster

LostCat    1,545

1080s webpage recommends a 500W.  It should be fine with as few components are as in there.

I'd check the temps first.

• Like 1

Jester124    419

I would concur that the first thing I would check is the PSU. 550 is below what I would consider. 650+ would be the minimum

Mindovermaster    3,436

Well, check those both... Temps and PSU. They can both shut down your system.

• Like 1

Jester124    419

GeForce GTX 1070 / 1080 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 600 Watts.

That was off a quick search, which is what I was thinking was minimum for the GPU. My thinking was with the giggling of the cables, the PSU is being overloaded. I had a similar issue on an older build when flash ads would load. Would kick my GPU to full speed and cause the PSU to trip and shut off. Temps could still be and issue tough.

• Like 1

Jim K    15,378
On 6/30/2020 at 4:42 PM, DaveBob said:

Pressing the power button will cause a flash of light from my RGB fans then off again. But if I wiggle my power cable or plug and unplug. It will come back to life. I am thinking its a power cable or PSU issue.

Well ... that's weird. 

If you jiggle or wiggle the power cord while the computer is on ... does it turn off?  I would lean towards the power cord (especially if it shuts down down during a jiggle or a wiggle) or a faulty PSU (it happens).  Do you have a spare power cord?  If not, can you just swap power cords with your monitor and see if the problem crops back up?

I would think the wattage is fine (or not the direct issue) .... considering it is above the nvidia recommendation + the 3700x is 65w + it is shutting down even during minimal loads.

Of course you could be having temp spikes with either the CPU or GPU ... so it wouldn't hurt to monitor those. 

Mindovermaster    3,436

Guess us three are all on the dot... lol... :laugh:

DaveBob    4

Thanks for the replies. I actualy have a 750W PSU. Writing a post half a asleep is a bad thing :)

I checked the PSU by jumping it and it was ok. It was a bad power cable its all sorted now thanks all. 

• Like 4