• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Which Next Gen Console do you plan on buying?

If you're planning on purchasing a Next Gen Console what will it be?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Paul1979UK    732
20 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

Still no Xbox Series S takers I'm a little surprised, or maybe the specs are rumoured to be too low.

 

I wonder if MS surprise the community and follow Sony and release a discless  Series X instead of or in addition for $100 less, they must be considering it surely?

I'm surprised that Series S or whatever it's called with weaker specs isn't discless, the specs and no disc drive would reduce the cost quite a bit for the ones that want that option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul1979UK    732
12 hours ago, George P said:

Once we have more info on the Series S and a price it could be the sleeper hit of the gen.  There are a number of holiday console buyers who are looking at price for sure and if it gives you better than One X performance at the least, could be what lots of kids end up with as gifts to start.  You could always upsell them the more powerful Series X later on, when it's also cheaper.  

It's possible because with the way this pandemic is going and job security, many are going to want to spend less and it's a given the Xbox Series X will have the same cpu and SSD as the Series X has so the same games are compatible, what will mainly be weaker is the gpu which scales a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    7,387

XBX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    324
12 minutes ago, Paul1979UK said:

I'm surprised that Series S or whatever it's called with weaker specs isn't discless, the specs and no disc drive would reduce the cost quite a bit for the ones that want that option.

I was under the impression it was going to be discless, but i guess anything can happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    6,455
13 minutes ago, Paul1979UK said:

It's possible because with the way this pandemic is going and job security, many are going to want to spend less and it's a given the Xbox Series X will have the same cpu and SSD as the Series X has so the same games are compatible, what will mainly be weaker is the gpu which scales a lot easier.

Yeah, GPU difference just means lower res and less ray tracing probably.   Lots of gamers who won't even notice the differences without some detailed DF youtube video to explain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,539
17 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I actually backed the campaign when it first launched. 

 

I cancelled my IGG pledge after properly researching it 

May I ask what your research turned up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,597
6 hours ago, George P said:

Yeah, GPU difference just means lower res and less ray tracing probably.   Lots of gamers who won't even notice the differences without some detailed DF youtube video to explain it.

I think it depends.  If it only has 8GB, the Xbox One X will make more sense for 4K on older titles.

 

I'm not convinced the rumors are entirely correct on that one, we'll see though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    6,455
4 hours ago, LostCat said:

I think it depends.  If it only has 8GB, the Xbox One X will make more sense for 4K on older titles.

 

I'm not convinced the rumors are entirely correct on that one, we'll see though.

RAM could be one of the things that changes late in the game with little impact to production I'd say,  so far it sounds like Series S will have 7.5GB for games and some for OS/apps, so it could be the same 12GB total just split differently, which could make sense if the target isn't 4k at all, unlike the One X that gives games 9GB out of 12GB total iirc.

 

If the system OS is the same between Series X and Series S then they'll take up the same 2.5GB out of whatever the total is, we could make some good guesses going off of that.   If 7.5GB is for games, 2.5GB for OS, it could have 10GB total, 6GB less, but I think it's got the same 12GB as the One X.  7.5GB of faster RAM just for games, 2.5GB for the OS and 2GB of slower RAM for apps.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    1,951
On 7/5/2020 at 1:31 AM, margrave said:

May I ask what your research turned up?

I think it was poor management of the project. The project founders not really being able to answer questions in the comments section of the campaign. There was a lack of detail in the early stages too. 

 

I backed in May 2018 and I think they were supposed to deliver a year later (Q2 2019)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,597
3 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I think it was poor management of the project. The project founders not really being able to answer questions in the comments section of the campaign. There was a lack of detail in the early stages too. 

 

I backed in May 2018 and I think they were supposed to deliver a year later (Q2 2019)

It seems like Ouya, except the boxes should be far more capable.  With 4GB being the minimum it'd be hard to even consider it a Switch competitor though.

 

I don't expect much from it, but I hope they do well enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eddman    447
Posted (edited)

I have a good enough PC and since MS exclusives are also released for windows on the same day (or shortly thereafter), I'd go with a PS5, in 3-4 years after launch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,597
52 minutes ago, eddman said:

I have a good enough PC and since MS exclusives are also released for windows on the same day (or shortly thereafter), I'd go with a PS5, in 3-4 years after launch.

I have a decent PC.  But the number of times I still can't get Store games to actually launch is kind of embarrassing.

 

I'm not holding my breath on them fixing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eddman    447
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I have a decent PC.  But the number of times I still can't get Store games to actually launch is kind of embarrassing.

 

I'm not holding my breath on them fixing that.

MS changed their policy in May 2019 and almost all their games launched since then, have been released on steam too (and even some games launched before may 2019).

Edited by eddman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,597
1 hour ago, eddman said:

MS changed their policy in May 2019 and almost all their games launched since then, have been released on steam too (and even some games launched before may 2019).

That's nice, but recent experience says the problems haven't been fixed yet.  I use Game Pass so them being on Steam isn't worth much to me.

 

I'm hoping Windows 10X will fix a lot of problems in Windows land, not that I expect to be able to install it on a desktop right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul1979UK    732
7 hours ago, eddman said:

I have a good enough PC and since MS exclusives are also released for windows on the same day (or shortly thereafter), I'd go with a PS5, in 3-4 years after launch.

Honestly for me, I'll stick with PC gaming, I like having options in how I can play the games I buy and a lot of games from both consoles are coming to the PC even if some are a bit late to the party from the PS consoles, I can live with that to have the vast majority of multiplatform games look and run better on the PC then they do on consoles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.