• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Is being self employed a good idea?

+Zag L.    813

Jesus, I've hired people that have misdemeanors on their records. Getting in a bar fight will get you busted on a misdemeanor. You need to stop thinking anyone cares about your non existing record. You weren't even convicted, just arrested. Stop blaming this for your inability to get a job.

• Like 2

Matthew S.    1,235
Posted (edited)

Take it from me, your probably MORE qualified for the job I currently hold than I am (I'm technically considered an elementary school drop out) yet I have never had an issue getting a job and/or promotions if I work hard enough for them.  

Your misdemeanor means nothing about your ability to get the job you want, it's your attitude, you sir are the one with the cards in play, not your supposed "record".

Matthew S.    1,235
Posted (edited)

Forgot to add, if you don't have the job experience, look for an entry level position in the field you want and work your way up internally..  

I started as a General Warehouse Associate where I currently work through an agency, a full-time position opened up in their data centre and I applied for it, 5 years later I got promoted to Database Administrator and 2 years after that I got (forced by a former supervisor of mine) to apply for a position within IT, been at my current post for the last 3 years.  I'm also an oddity among my generation, I like to learn and share knowledge and am also willing to stick it out until I get the position I want, I don't job hop, on top of that I have never forgotten where I came from, if asked I would willingly go back to do that GWA position (sometimes the stress of my current position nearly kills me...) but our hourly associates are unionized so thats never going to actually happen 🙂 .

RolloofTheNorm    7
22 minutes ago, ZakO said:

And what did those lawyers say? What state are you from? Why exactly do you think a expunged misdemeanour means you can't have "the job or life you want", have you actually tried pursuing any jobs you're interested in or just spent the last 2-3 years worrying? Even if, in the absolute worst (unlikely) case scenario, you live in one of the few states where expungement doesn't completely remove the arrest from your record it was only a misdemeanor, not a felony, most misdemeanors aren't going to end your career. 

I'm sorry to hear about your parents and experience with therapy, therapy for grief/bereavement can be hit or miss, something/someone has gone and there's no bringing that back. However, therapy for irrational thinking is something where you can actually work towards a potential solution. Take it or leave it, I won't bring it up again but I think dismissing it would be a mistake. 

I'm in South Carolina and the lawyers on avvo basically told me the same thing basically how it shouldn't prevent me from getting employment cause my arrest got expunged.

Matthew S.    1,235
Posted (edited)

Dude, I'm going to be painfully blunt, it's fine being skeptical, but your borderline paranoid, grow some ###### balls, reword your resume and apply yourself to a damned job.  Stop dwelling on a damned expunged misdemeanor, all your doing is finding an excuse to bitch about why you haven't gotten the job you want when it's actually quite frankly, your attitude thats holding you back.

I've developed talent while I was a DBA and I've encountered many people like you whom give up because they didn't get the job they wanted, however I was also blunt with them also and helped in getting them the job they wanted and they all thanked me afterwards since I typically am right when it comes down to the reasons why they didn't get it the first time around. Be it there not dedicated enough to their current role, attitude problems, confidence/self-esteem issues, knowledge, or just plain not wanting the position enough.

• Like 1

ZakO    554
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

I'm in South Carolina and the lawyers on avvo basically told me the same thing basically how it shouldn't prevent me from getting employment cause my arrest got expunged.

Ok... so start applying for jobs.

You live in a state where expunged records can only be accessed by law enforcement and/or court order:

WHAT IS AN EXPUNGEMENT?

Under SC law, you can apply to have certain South Carolina arrests, charges, or convictions placed under seal so they are no longer public record. Once they are sealed, these records can only be used for limited law enforcement purposes and otherwise can only be disclosed by court order.

Not Guilty, Dismissed and Nolle Prossed charges: For charges dismissed after 2009, expungement is automatic in most cases. For charges prior to 2009, you will need to apply for an expungement. In most cases, it is free to have a dismissed charge expunged from your record, but you may still need to go through the application process. Charges that were dismissed as part of a plea agreement are still eligible for an expungement, but they do not qualify for a free expungement.

There's nothing stopping you from living the life you want or getting the job you want. Live your life, don't let it pass you by worrying about non issues, you'll regret it. 

Edited by ZakO
  • Like 1

RolloofTheNorm    7
15 minutes ago, ZakO said:

Ok... so start applying for jobs.

You live in a state where expunged records can only be accessed by law enforcement and/or court order:

There's nothing stopping you from living the life you want or getting the job you want. Live your life, don't let it pass you by worrying about non issues, you'll regret it. 

Tbh I dont even have a degree yet still. Even when I do get a degree it won't really change my outlook much. I appreciate you posting this i guess tho.

Matthew S.    1,235
Posted (edited)

TBH your degree isn't going to help with your attitude, nor will it mean much without first work experience, you've basically have self-determined that your destined to fail, hate to tell you you will, especially with that attitude.  Thing is, it's okay to fail, I've done it plenty of times, to the point where I should have been fired, but you just gotta pick yourself up, dust off and try again.

• Like 1

RolloofTheNorm    7
7 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

TBH your degree isn't going to help with your attitude, nor will it mean much without first work experience, you've basically have self-determined that your destined to fail, hate to tell you you will, especially with that attitude.  Thing is, it's okay to fail, I've done it plenty of times, to the point where I should have been fired, but you just gotta pick yourself up, dust off and try again.

That's not the point to me. Having a so called bad personality or attitude is the least of my concern. Even if I do have a positive attitude you think that's gonna make an employer consider me despite having a record? ###### no. I have a hard time believing people as is.

• Facepalm 1

metallithrax    523
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

That's not the point to me. Having a so called bad personality or attitude is the least of my concern. Even if I do have a positive attitude you think that's gonna make an employer consider me despite having a record? ###### no. I have a hard time believing people as is.

How many times do you need to be told "YOU DON'T HAVE A ###### RECORD".

You were arrested that's it. You weren't convicted so you don't have a record.

+Zag L.    813

For the last time - YOU HAVE NO RECORD!  An employer cannot  see your non-conviction misdemeanor arrest on a background report. Its just not there.  Simply being arrested isn't a thing. No one cares.  Your destructive lack of self confidence is going to sink your chances, not your imaginary record.  If you are convinced your career outlook is the same after getting your degree because of this make believe thing then maybe you should just quit now before you pile on more debt you believe you can never repay and just resolve to put on a blue smock at Walmart.  You probably should reconsider thinking about getting some help for this unhealthy negative obsessive behavior. Everyone deserves to have as great a life as they can and the path you're artificially creating for yourself doesn't sound like it's heading in the best direction.

Code Name: Lockdown    9,521
11 hours ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well the way I see it I do

So you've answered your own question then.  You've been given advice and you disagree with it.  Move on!

RolloofTheNorm    7
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

How many times do you need to be told "YOU DON'T HAVE A ###### RECORD".

You were arrested that's it. You weren't convicted so you don't have a record.

I know this might be dumb to say, but once again people on reddit have told me otherwise.

Edited by RolloofTheNorm
  • Facepalm 1

Nick H.    10,681

Well this is going round in circles, I'm not sure what the point in asking the question was when you seem to have already made up your mind. :laugh:

Being self-employed is tough. You can't guarantee a steady paycheck, you don't get covered for things like medical insurance. It's almost always better to have a steady job.

• Like 3

RolloofTheNorm    7
5 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

It's almost always better to have a steady job.

Well that can't happen for me now can it? This is obviously a joke to you.

• Facepalm 2

Nick H.    10,681
4 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

I don't consider it to be a joke, I answered your question. I also didn't touch on your lack of a criminal record because others here have already told you that it doesn't matter. But since it seems that you only want to hear an answer that you've decided on, ok. Being self-employed is always the way to go, and it's so easy to do!

Is that a better answer for you?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Your responses are a joke.

YOU DO NOT HAVE A RECORD. NOBODY CAN LEGALLY FIND OUT ABOUT YOUR ARREST. IT CANNOT LEGALLY AFFECT YOUR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT.

But hey, if “people on reddit” say otherwise, go bug them!

And for the record, the thing that will hold you back is your attitude more than anything else!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+Zag L.    813

That's it. I'm not sure why you came here after the 'experts' on reddit already 'punked' you into believing something that isn't even close to reality only to completely blow off everything we are saying.  Listen to whomever you want. We said it's a nothing burger. The online legal advise you got said it was a nothing burger.  Some strangers on reddit convinced you that you're doomed and that's all that seems to matter.

At this point I'm inclined to say your non-record is impeding your ability to have a career but its not because of the arrest but instead it's you're belief  that it is the cause. Why don't you simply go talk to a recruiter? Go talk to a placement counselor at your school?  Will you believe them more than strangers on reddit? I'm thinking you won't. I'm not sure why you think reddit is a be-all end -all. Honestly, that's the last place I'd ever go for something like this.

As Nick said, yeah, just be self employed. That's the answer. What skills will you be bringing to the table? What is your prior experience? Those will be the defining traits that will determine your success as a self employed individual. Is your presentation more upbeat, polished and professional than it comes across here? That may be something you need to work on before taking that step.

• Like 2

RolloofTheNorm    7
Just now, Nick H. said:

I don't consider it to be a joke, I answered your question. I also didn't touch on your lack of a criminal record because others here have already told you that it doesn't matter. But since it seems that you only want to hear an answer that you've decided on, ok. Being self-employed is always the way to go, and it's so easy to do!

Is that a better answer for you?

No cause now you're just being sarcastic

• Facepalm 1

Why is this thread even allowed? It’s just a rollover from this:

• Like 1

RolloofTheNorm    7
5 minutes ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

Why is this thread even allowed? It’s just a rollover from this:

Well I ask if I would still stand a chance as a software engineer. Here im asking is being self employed a good idea or not.

• Facepalm 1

PsYcHoKiLLa    2,598
Posted (edited)

How has this thread gotten to 2 pages?!

It's simple.

Expunged = Removed :

verb

past tense: expunged; past participle: expunged

obliterate or remove completely (something unwanted or unpleasant).

Therefore any employer looking to see if you have a criminal history will see nothing. Whether you choose to divulge what happened is up to you but you are under no requirement to do so. You've been told the same thing again and again.

So, again, How has this thread gotten to 2 pages?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well I ask if I would still stand a chance as a software engineer. Here im asking is being self employed a good idea or not.

Because your base belief is still the same. Sorry, I think you have issues you need to be dealt with - genuinely. You only seem to believe the worst and ignore the advice you’ve been given.

Steven P.    16,902

I applaud the patience shown by our members in answering the OPs question, however the OP is not doing himself any favours by then arguing with the facts.

Asked and answered: closed.

• Like 7