Why are there no effects for pen colors in Outlook in Windows 8.1 as there are in Windows 10 ?

First screenshot is of Outlook 365 in Windows 8.1 ... Latter screenshot is of Outlook 365 in Windows 10. Both machines are touch-based and have the latest updates.

Options for pen input are different. Most notable is the addition of effects in Windows 10.

Why ?

Pens.thumb.png.7c85bee449208fc92443cf562a814cc1.png1819056279_Annotation2020-07-20000241.thumb.png.6fd837bbb329857792a9ece589e1eea2.png

I'm assuming Windows 10 has updated/improved APIs for Ink and were never backported to Windows 8.1.

• Like 3

Yeah, it does seem a bit of an odd question. Newer software/operating systems will come with new features that won't be included in the older software, either because as @primortalsays the APIs aren't available or because the developers want you to upgrade.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 1:02 PM, primortal said:

I'm assuming Windows 10 has updated/improved APIs for Ink and were never backported to Windows 8.1.

How cruel. Especially since Windows 10 no longer has a modicum of vision for inking! More on this later ... 

On 7/20/2020 at 1:09 PM, Nick H. said:

Yeah, it does seem a bit of an odd question. Newer software/operating systems will come with new features that won't be included in the older software, either because as @primortalsays the APIs aren't available or because the developers want you to upgrade.

It would seem odd if it were APIs though. I do not see how they would be so special ... since they are just minor effects and the like.

Plus ... if they are there because of APIs ... then Microsoft must be really lazy since not even Snip & Sketch has these effects ...

15 minutes ago, waysidesc said:

if they are there because of APIs ... then Microsoft must be really lazy since not even Snip & Sketch has these effects ...

It isn't necessarily laziness, hence the other idea that they aren't providing the features in an attempt to get you to upgrade to their latest OS if you want those effects.

17 hours ago, Nick H. said:

It isn't necessarily laziness, hence the other idea that they aren't providing the features in an attempt to get you to upgrade to their latest OS if you want those effects.

Well, I mean... even the latest OS does not have it in other apps.