New Home Server Build Ideas

As a quick overview, I am looking to replace what I am currently using as a home media server. Currently, I am using an old Alienware Steam Machine with an i7-4785T and 8GB of DDR3. While it is still up and going, it is showing some age and is horrible for expansion. I currently have 2 5TB and one 8TB drive that are connected via USB3, which is slowing down some of my file transfers and streams.

This system is primarily for my home media using Plex, but would love to move some of my VM's off my main rig that is used for programming and gaming. Mainly just 2 VMs concomitantly run using 2 to 4 cores, 200GB VHDs and 4 to 8GBs of RAM.

Any good recommendations or thoughts would be helpful. I am trying to stay under $800 but can budget up to $1000. HDDs would be the only thing not needed in the build. I found one server that looks like it would cover everything and still have resources to spare:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GW5S3I2?pf_rd_r=YBWVTNA3RSG8AP42EPAV&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

My only beef with it, is that is is a "renewed" system and using older DDR3 RAM.

Wonder if that takes ECC ram. Because you can find Used 128GB DDR3 ECC .. about half price on eBay

You say that you are replacing your server as it's showing it's age, but the system you have chosen is actually 4 years older than your current server. To be honest it's way over priced for something that is now over 10 years old

2 minutes ago, Ready2018 said:

You say that you are replacing your server as it's showing it's age, but the system you have chosen is actually 4 years older than your current server. To be honest it's way over priced for something that is now over 10 years old

By showing its age, it is starting to have some power issues and the onboard video card is on its way out. Still staying up as a remote machine, but if I have to do any work directly on it, it is almost useless.

Looking more, you are right on the age of the server, although, since this is built for long use and the other is geared towards gaming, I thought it would not be a bad fit. Now that you mention it though, for the age, it is high priced. Glad I asked for opinions before going it on my own as this way I don't overlook things.

13 hours ago, trek said:

Where are you thinking of putting that server? Hopefully away from your living area as those r710s are loud.

I would be putting it in my utility room. Already a loud area and has good airflow. If what I get is louder than expected, I have another area in my garage that is well protected. Definitely not going to have this in my living room lol