i want to know something important

Hi! I have a p3 866mhz with 256 mo ram with a asus CUSL2-C motherboard.

I want to upgrade my pc to a AMD Atlon 1.4ghz and it's not expensive 205 $can for the cpu only. Ok so i know, i need to buy new motherboard but wich one can i take and not too expensive.

So quality/price. And i will by another 256 mo ddr for the athlon.

Cause i will sell my processor, motherboard, and ram to someone to make some cash before ...

Sorry for my bad english :D

PS : respond fastest than possible someone

the only board you'll ever need is the gigabyte ga-7dxr or the abit kg7-raid. If your looking for anything with power or performance.. get one of those.

Originally posted by 2xSilverKnight  

hmm i want an asus, gigabyte or abit motherboard ...

but i don't know wich one ..

I wouldn't go for Asus as I am boycotting them over their graphics card drivers (they released drivers BOASTing that they can be used to cheat in FPS games by making everywhere light and making walls see-through (thru) - of course this works fine in online games like Counter Strike, which already has enough cheaters).

I've got an ABit KT7A and I'm really disappointed with it - unstable and problematic right since I got it.

I would buy an Epox now - the one Toxicfume mentioned, although Gigabyte have a good rep. for mobos so they'd probably be best out of the 3 you said.

ya but the gigabyte is little to expensive it's 221,49 $can i need a good mtherboard less than 200 $can

And last question, is it possible to use pc133 memory for athlon if I buy AMD Athlon 1,4ghz fsb 266 ??

Have a look at the Epox 8K7A(8K7A+ for RAID) i told you about! i bought one and i'm really happy

i know it's an infamiliar company, but it's a really good one, try searching for some benchmarks and info. you can decide then.

the board is even considered as the best athlon ddr board to date by the overclockers, and it's quite cheap too

ok ok, i'll stop boasting about the board already!

but anyway if you buy the board

be sure you get a good one, there are some bad boards too..if it's good, it's a blast, if not then it's a POS..

always test them first!

I think one of the Asus mobo's can support PC133 and DDR ram.

My ABit KT7A supports only PC133 RAM - I currently have 1x256 and 1x128 in her and the mobo supports up to around 2Ghz if you want it to (it's presets are up to 1.33, but you can select manual and set the multiplier and FSB to whatever you like.

It's got good performance for not having DDR ram I gather, although to get it stable I have everything set to slower. I saw benchmarks on a TBird mobo shootout and it performed better than some DDR mobos. I don't remember where this shootout was, but I think the ASUS DDR (don't remember the exact model number, but I don't think there are many ASUS DDR mobos) was best, followed by the Epox 8K7A which I'd suggest considering my Asus dislike.

This mobo has a good reputation and it probably wouldn't give you the problems it's given me...