• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

How to stop Windows 10 update ?

Deep_Level_Shark    6
Posted (edited)

It has become a very irritating experience, when I start windows 10 , it shows working on features 5% .... or sometimes windows updates starts.

You have to wait a long time to finish this.

Is there anyway , It can be stopped ?  This was not the issue with Windows 7 which was very comfortable.

Som    437

Right click on start button,

select run,

type services.msc 

disable windows update service

• Facepalm 1

Deep_Level_Shark    6
58 minutes ago, Som said:

Right click on start button,

select run,

type services.msc 

disable windows update service

Thanks. got it.

Is it the only service ?  or there are any other service to disable also ?

+warwagon    13,924

Could be wrong but I think windows 10 will just re-enable the service again. If you have a decent CPU you may want to invest in an SSD.. if don't already have one, Updates take MUCH less time on an SSD.

• Like 1

warrenrumak    137

Is your machine is showing this every time you restart Windows?  If so, then you've got a problem.  Might be an indication that an update is failing to install correctly.

Deep_Level_Shark    6
Posted (edited)
Just now, warrenrumak said:

Is your machine is showing this every time you restart Windows?  If so, then you've got a problem.  Might be an indication that an update is failing to install correctly.

Not everytime.  weekly once/twice approx.  Updates are installed perfectly. There is no failure.

How disturbing it is when you are about to join a meeting and this starts. You can not do anything and just wait for a long time.

Anyway, I have disabled service . Lets see if that works or not.

Mr_Rogers    17
Posted (edited)

To disable Windows Updates on Windows 10, you need to:

1) Take ownership of the following files and rename them:

WaaSMedicAgent.exe to WaaSMedicAgent.exe_old

WaaSMedicCapsule.dll to WaaSMedicCapsule.dll_old

WaaSAssessment.dll to WaaSAssessment.dll_old

WaaSMedicPS.dll to WaaSMedicPS.dll_old

WaaSMedicSvc.dll to WaaSMedicSvc.dll_old

2) Stop & disable the following services:

Update Orchestrator Service

Windows Update

If you have followed the steps correctly, the Windows Update page should show an error message or show an endless loading animation depending on your version.

Edited by Mr_Rogers

warrenrumak    137

Windows Updates requiring a reboot should happen once a month, not twice a week.  Something is wrong with your system.

These suggestions you're getting for disabling Windows Update entirely are not the right solution, however.  That'd be like fixing a leaky shower head by never taking a shower again.  Disabling Windows Update means you also don't get the latest updates for Defender.

Microsoft has a web page here with instructions on how to completely reset Windows Update:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

You can use Event Viewer to see what Windows Update is doing. The events are in the "System" log:

image.thumb.png.31c2b1c5821b00ac182c34a6d8ea7035.png

You'll want to filter the list down to just WindowsUpdateClient, using the "Filter Current Log" button on the right.

• Like 5

cork1958    1,999
31 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Could be wrong but I think windows 10 will just re-enable the service again. If you have a decent CPU you may want to invest in an SSD.. if don't already have one, Updates take MUCH less time on an SSD.

True, updates don't take as long on a SSD, but they still take way to long compared to updating a Linux machine even on a HDD. Definitely one of the things I hate about Windows.

Mr_Rogers    17
4 minutes ago, warrenrumak said:

These suggestions you're getting for disabling Windows Update entirely are not the right solution, however.  That'd be like fixing a leaky shower head by never taking a shower again.  Disabling Windows Update means you also don't get the latest updates for Defender.

The customer is always right. He asked how to stop them, so people provided methods on how to do so. If he asked to reduce the frequency of Windows Updates, I'm sure methods for that would have been provided.

It should be noted that he can easily re-enable the services if he wants to manually check for updates at his own convenience. 

+warwagon    13,924
1 minute ago, cork1958 said:

True, updates don't take as long on a SSD, but they still take way to long compared to updating a Linux machine even on a HDD. Definitely one of the things I hate about Windows.

Ya, I don't know why they are faster. Linux probably just replaces a file and window replaces it and has to commutate it and do some other mumbo jumbo that's registry related.

1 minute ago, Mr_Rogers said:

The customer is always right. He asked how to stop them, so people provided methods on how to do so. If he asked to reduce the frequency of Windows Updates, I'm sure methods for that would have been provided.

It should be noted that he can easily re-enable the services if he wants to manually check for updates at his own convenience. 

The customer is rarely right, we just want to make them feel like they are lol

• Haha 2

Mr_Rogers    17
1 minute ago, warwagon said:

The customer is rarely right, we just want to make them feel like they are lol

Can't argue with that. :laugh:

Code Name: Lockdown    9,487
3 minutes ago, Mr_Rogers said:

The customer is always right.

What utter nonsense that is. 

Mr_Rogers    17
1 minute ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

What utter nonsense that is. 

It's what retail workers are taught.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Rogers said:

It's what retail workers are taught.

Incorrectly and I would suggest less so nowadays.  It's a poor statement that holds little water.  It basically means "The customer is the one who is paying, so give them what they are paying for".  That doesn't imply that they are right.

Many times I have dealt with customers who are outright wrong - such as a vegan who swore blind we were to blame for her eating lobster because we didn't tell her it was animal produce.  SHE CHOSE THE LOBSTER FROM THE TANK!

+warwagon    13,924
6 minutes ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

Incorrectly and I would suggest less so nowadays.  It's a poor statement that holds little water.  It basically means "The customer is the one who is paying, so give them what they are paying for".  That doesn't imply that they are right.

Many times I have dealt with customers who are outright wrong - such as a vegan who swore blind we were to blame for her eating lobster because we didn't tell her it was animal produce.  SHE CHOSE THE LOBSTER FROM THE TANK!

Had a younger guy call me last night to clean up "All the viruses" from his computer, because he let his friend use his computer to watch a "Free" stream of a football game. he told me he heard if people stream stuff from those types of sites they get viruses. I said, yes, it's possible, but just by watching one of those pirated streams isn't instantly going to give you a virus. Turned out all he had popping up was a BUNCH of chrome notifications. He also had some doggy chrome extensions and a crappy adware PC cleanup software on there and expired version of Mcafee that came on the pc.

If I hear incorrect #### flow out of a customers mouth, I will not make them feel like they are right. I will correct them so they stop spreading bad info.

• Like 1

Mr_Rogers    17
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

In this case, I assume you can understand why we gave the customer want they wanted. There's no point on arguing with them what is right when you are providing a service free of charge. Best just to give them what they want and move on.

Obviously with the vegan woman, it's different because you are paid therefore there are more stakes at risk.

On a related note, what was the aftermath of the lobster story? I'm now very curious to know what happened next.

Edited by Mr_Rogers

Som    437
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Deep_Level_Shark said:

Thanks. got it.

Is it the only service ?  or there are any other service to disable also ?

yes that's the only service, just make sure you've selected disable.  I'm 99.78987% sure it won't re-enable 😛

Steven P.    16,810
3 hours ago, Deep_Level_Shark said:

It has become a very irritating experience, when I start windows 10 , it shows working on features 5% .... or sometimes windows updates starts.

You have to wait a long time to finish this.

Is there anyway , It can be stopped ?  This was not the issue with Windows 7 which was very comfortable.

tenor.gif

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

1 hour ago, Mr_Rogers said:

In this case, I assume you can understand why we gave the customer want they wanted.

What customer?

Mr_Rogers    17
5 hours ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

What customer?

OP.

Nick H.    10,675
7 hours ago, Mr_Rogers said:

In this case, I assume you can understand why we gave the customer want they wanted. There's no point on arguing with them what is right when you are providing a service free of charge. Best just to give them what they want and move on.

I've got to disagree with this. Just because we are providing advice or a service free of charge doesn't mean that we should be providing a sub-par service. I think of it this way: I am advising someone what to do in order to protect myself as much as them. If their system becomes compromised, it has the potential to compromise other systems. Also, I'm not only thinking about this one person asking for advice. What about the other people who go to Google with a similar question and get directed to this thread?

I would always provide someone with the best advice, even if it is something that they don't want to hear. If they want to wreck their system then so be it, but I won't have a part in it.

Obviously with the vegan woman, it's different because you are paid therefore there are more stakes at risk.

How did you not intentionally use the typo, "steaks"?! It was right there! :p

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mr_Rogers    17
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I've got to disagree with this. Just because we are providing advice or a service free of charge doesn't mean that we should be providing a sub-par service. I think of it this way: I am advising someone what to do in order to protect myself as much as them. If their system becomes compromised, it has the potential to compromise other systems. Also, I'm not only thinking about this one person asking for advice. What about the other people who go to Google with a similar question and get directed to this thread?

I would always provide someone with the best advice, even if it is something that they don't want to hear. If they want to wreck their system then so be it, but I won't have a part in it.

I see your point in terms of security. However, giving them what they want can go two ways:

1) They disable updates and are extra careful meaning nothing happens.

2) They disable updates and get a nasty surprise.

With the second way, they presumably learn from their mistake. I know that's probably being a bit hopeful in the sense that there are people who are doomed to repeat themselves, but we can dream.

I guess that's not really relevant to what you are saying, because you are thinking of the future. I'm sure future googlers will read these discussions and use their judgement to determine what's best for them. I don't think providing a warning and the methods are necessarily a bad thing. Though I will admit it's thanks to you guys that we even have the warning in the first place. So props for that.

At the end of the day, it seems that OP has made their mind up already.

How did you not intentionally use the typo, "steaks"?! It was right there! :p

That's life for you. Full of missed opportunities. :laugh:

warrenrumak    137
Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, Mr_Rogers said:

The customer is always right.

The last time I heard someone claim that, it was a drunken man at a Starbucks, who'd just gotten his dick out.  The police had to be called.  He yelled "the customer is always right!" while fighting with the cops.

• Haha 3