Wilford Brimley, "Cocoon" and "Natural" actor, dies at 85

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Wilford Brimley, who worked his way up from movie stunt rider to an indelible character actor who brought gruff charm, and sometimes menace, to a range of films that included “Cocoon,” “The Natural” and “The Firm,” has died. He was 85.

Brimley’s manager Lynda Bensky said the actor died Saturday morning in a Utah hospital. He was on dialysis and had several medical ailments, she said.

The mustached Brimley was a familiar face for a number of roles, often playing characters like his grizzled baseball manager in “The Natural” opposite Robert Redford's bad-luck phenomenon. He also worked with Redford in “Brubaker” and “The Electric Horseman.”

Brimley's best-known work was in “Cocoon,” in which he was part of a group of seniors who discover an alien pod that rejuvenates them. The 1985 Ron Howard film won two Oscars, including a supporting actor honor for Don Ameche.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wilford-brimley-cocoon-natural-actor-041819510.html

This one surprised me because I thought he had died years ago ... and *only* 85?  Seems like he has been around 70 years old for the last 30 years.

RIP

2 hours ago, Jim K said:

This one surprised me because I thought he had died years ago ... and *only* 85?  Seems like he has been around 70 years old for the last 30 years.

RIP

Yep that's what I thought too heh. 

RIP

On 8/2/2020 at 6:10 PM, Steven P. said:

Yep that's what I thought too heh. 

RIP

Likewise.  I guess he was one of those people that just always look old...

Rest in peace, sir. Thank you for the entertainment you gave.

Y'all aren't wrong... this guy has been a "grandpa" character for as long as I can remember. I would have sworn

he was way older. Regardless, the dude was talented, and always a fun watch. RIP, sir.

• Steven P. unlocked this topic