Should I update my WIndows 10 USB installation media?

fastcat    5

I created a Windows 10 USB installation media a year ago, I am wondering if I should delete it and re-create it, will this give me a more updated Windows 10 if I reinstall the OS or will it be the same?

George P    6,607
6 minutes ago, fastcat said:

I created a Windows 10 USB installation media a year ago, I am wondering if I should delete it and re-create it, will this give me a more updated Windows 10 if I reinstall the OS or will it be the same?

I could be wrong but if you use the tool to make a new USB stick, it should grab the newest version out at the time.  Since you said it's been a year I'm guessing you have 1903 on it right now?  If you do it now it should grab 2004.  I don't know if you have to upgrade to the newest version of the media creation tool as well or if it just grabs whats new on MS' servers.

Aokromes    258
17 minutes ago, fastcat said:

update, you will have 1903 and installing 1903 now is non-sense, updating it will save you time to update from 1903 to 2004 later.

• Like 2
George P    6,607
30 minutes ago, Riva said:

Since you can create a new one at any point, then not a huge necessity unless you have a usb stick on your keys and you fix PCs as you go. It looks like the May 2020 update is still plagued with issues here and there.

It's been good on my gaming PC though it was blocked for a few weeks actually.  Heck, it's probably just me but it feels like apps open faster.  Anyways,  things might go even better if you're doing a freash install.  This thing has been upgrading since the original version of Win10.

erpster3    48
7 hours ago, Riva said:

It looks like the May 2020 update is still plagued with issues here and there.

which MS plans to "resolve" some of those plagued issues later this August, like the incompatibility with older nvidia graphics hardware & older nvidia display drivers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#418msgdesc

and speaking of updating the Win10 usb install media, MS released "refreshed" 2004 install media in late July as the Win10 media creation tool now downloads the 2004 installation files with build 19041.388 instead of build 19041.264.

goretsky    1,218

Hello,

I have noticed that when creating new Windows 10 installation media using Microsoft's tool to download it, the installation .ISO gets larger every few months, even if it is the same version (e.g., Version 1809, 1909, etc.), so it looks like Microsoft is definitely revising the version of Windows 10 that gets downloaded with cumulative updates.

Because of this, I think it is a good idea to periodically update your Windows 10 installation media, especially if you have multiple machines to rebuild.  That way you spend less time downloading updates for each one, and get them back up and running sooner.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
erpster3    48
On 8/11/2020 at 1:26 PM, Riva said:

Yeah it was released in May after testing since November and 3 months on, Microsoft is still "resolving" issues :D

RIP Windows

and MS has recently "refreshed" the v2004 install media again as the Win10 v2004 Media Creation tool now downloads build 19041.450 (2004 + KB4566782 CU integrated)

and I just reformatted by Win10 usb flash stick with Rufus and it created updated v2004 usb install media that now has the 19041.450 install files a few days ago