AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT or Intel Core I7-10700K?

SyntheticVirusZ    52

I have an opportunity to get one but I'm torn on what to get... Big time gamer so I would love the higher clock speed of the Intel but I also stream (not very popular) so I would love the better multithreading of the AMD. This will also have to last me a while because I doubt I'll be able to upgrade for a while.

Jim K    16,025

I would say the 3900XT as well. 

Couple of reasons ...

• The advantage of the 10700k in gaming seems to come mostly at 1080p.  However, those gains start going away at 1440p and higher ... with the advantage going to Intel by only a few fps here and there (depending on the game obviously).  At least from the various benchmarks I've seen.
  • You get PCIe4
  • Plus...4 more cores and 8 more threads ... should handle your gaming while streaming just fine (and more so than the 10700k).  

• Like 1
Mindovermaster    3,898

Get the 3900XT. As said above, it's just that much better.

You will need a different board for each, you know ;) (rather the Intel or AMD)

norseman    260

Go AMD. The proof is in the pudding.

Mindovermaster    3,898
1 hour ago, norseman said:

Go AMD. The proof is in the pudding.

Tasty... :rolleyes:

+Red King    2,479

Got 3900X and its a great room heater. I suggest looking at motherboard prices AMD vs Intel as a deciding factor.

greenwizard88    642

I concur; get the AMD.

SyntheticVirusZ    52

Hey thanks guys for the input! Sorry it took so long for me to reply but I live in Iowa and we just got wreaked by a storm... But yeah, it sounds like I'm going AMD! Thanks again!

Mindovermaster    3,898
1 hour ago, SyntheticVirusZ said:

Hey thanks guys for the input! Sorry it took so long for me to reply but I live in Iowa and we just got wreaked by a storm... But yeah, it sounds like I'm going AMD! Thanks again!

I feel you, man. I'm in southern Wisconsin and that storm knocked out our powar for a good 6 hours...

SyntheticVirusZ    52
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I feel you, man. I'm in southern Wisconsin and that storm knocked out our powar for a good 6 hours...

It's pretty crazy. I lost power for almost two days. Some still don't have power in the city. I'm about thirty miles south of Cedar Rapids, Iowa who got hit very hard. My friends up there say it might be weeks before they get power restored. I know there's a lot going on in the world right now but it's interesting how this got almost no national news coverage. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/historic-failure-journalism-cary-jordan

goretsky    1,218

Hello,

Do you have a specific game or (or games from a specific developer) that you want to run?  If so, you might want to check with their support and see if they have any recommended hardware which covers things like CPUs and video cards.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Astra.Xtreme    3,031

Here's some further info:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2030-intel-core-i7-10700k/

Intel does have a slight advantage in gaming, but is it enough to be a deal breaker for the AMD? 1080p gaming has a fair difference, but it mostly evens out above that resolution.  AMD definitely has a huge advantage in productivity tasks.

If your main purpose is gaming and price is more of a factor, you'd likely see equal performance in an i5 or Ryzen 5.