Please Advice - Windows 7 or 10?

sinetheo
On 8/14/2020 at 9:37 AM, amalsk said:

Hello guys!

I am not sure if this is the right section for posting this issue. If it isn’t, I apologize in advance.

I bought a new SSD for my old Toshiba Laptop since its stock HDD is about to fail, according to HD Sentinel and CrystalDiskInfo. They both say I have 176 reallocated sectors on my HDD and the drive health according to HD Sentinel is 23%.

My PC Specs are as follows: https://i.imgur.com/5iWwfDo.jpg
I’ve got a couple of questions if anyone can help me out in this regard:

1.      Which Windows OS is suitable for my laptop right now? It currently has Windows 7 x64 and runs fine for me since I don’t open more than 5-6 tabs at a time on chrome. I would like to install Windows 10 but I’m not sure if my laptop would run it like the Windows 7. My intention is to use this laptop for at least 2-3 years for basic use if all goes well. I am also planning a Ram upgrade to a total of 8GB since it has only 3GB installed, but it might take at least a month more due to the current pandemic.

2.      Will the drivers of my laptop be available on Windows 10? I heard the support for older laptops are less on Windows 10.

3.      Which version is lighter for my PC, Home or Pro? Which should I go for?

4.      As I mentioned earlier, is 176 bad sectors really bad for my HDD? How long do I have until it dies, to backup the data?

Thanks a ton in advance for helping me out.

Regards.

That is a very old and soon to be dead system.

If you don't mind me asking what is your budget for repairs/upgrades? Like an old car you have to ask yourself is it worth it to upgrade a depreciated asset where other things are breaking -eg. Battery, fans, screen light etc.

If your budget is say $400 and a new unit is $600 I would just buy new.

Newer portables are lighter, come with super fast SSD/nvme flash storage with 15 seconds, 9 hour battery life, and are much faster, and are thinner and lighter.

Storage speed and power usage has drastically improved for Intel CPUs and Windows 10 compared to 7. Also newer ddr 4 ram uses less power to than your ddr 3 which also improved battery life. 

• Like 1
Mockingbird
On 8/14/2020 at 10:35 PM, amalsk said:

Hello again :)

This is the link I found about my graphics drivers officially from AMD - https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-mobility-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-mobility-radeon-hd-5470

I'm still not sure if it would work, but it's worth a try...just as you said. True that I would never feel like gaming on this machine, haha. Still it has a dedicated tiny graphics card which I would like to utilize....But I'd still prefer installing 7 as it has all my drivers, moreover I wouldn't be updating the OS once it's installed. All I want is to install either of the one, 7 or 10...whichever works for me and then continue to use it for as long as it gives me. I wouldn't prefer going with 10, finding that it wouldn't support my drivers or is way too slow for me, then doing a fresh install of 7 on the SSD. I mean I want to avoid the trial and error method, but that is the only option it seems for me eh? :/ 

As for my current HDD, I can use it for 70 days or so according to the HD Sentinel. I'm in the process of organizing and migrating my data to external HDD. Let's see how it goes. :)

Thanks again for all your help. 

I thought Windows allowed all editions to pause the updates, like the 2004 version onwards? Maybe I was wrong. I would never update windows because I had issues earlier and only want to use the system for basic purposes, is it better to go with the LTSC version if that's the case?

Cloning wouldn't be a good idea for me as there are a lot of junk that I don't want on my new SSD. I've installed a lot of softwares during the last 2 years utilizing the drive to the maximum...and it has accumulated a lot of broken and unwanted files which I wouldn't want. That's why I wanna go with the fresh install. :) 

I do have the original OEM product key saved on my GDrive if it would help in any way, but it's for the Win 7 Home Premium x64. Can you upgrade to Win 10 directly with that product key? 

Windows 10 support most (all?) drivers for Windows 7.

I can't think of a single driver for Windows 7 doesn't work for Windows 10.

That said, if drivers for Windows 10 is available, that is the one you should install.

• Like 1
+warwagon
On 8/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, techbeck said:

wow....can't believe Apple is still providing 5400 HDs.   They should be eliminated everywhere.

Just got to see the performance of that i5 with 8gb and that 5400 HD... .it's slow as pi**

• Like 1
amalsk
19 hours ago, n_K said:

If you're just using it for basic use and worried about performance and security, is it worth chucking a lightweight linux disto on it instead? You can get the old AMD drivers working with the latest kernels, you get security, you can have less bloat than windows 10's default and it should run good on that hardware. If all you need it for is things like chrome then you're covered for applications

I really don't want to use Linux, because I've been used to Windows and in my previous experience with Linux, it didn't actually go well. I know where everything is in Windows but on Linux, I found it hard....maybe if I get used to it, it will be fine. But I'd go for windows over linux anyday.

18 hours ago, sinetheo said:

That is a very old and soon to be dead system.

If you don't mind me asking what is your budget for repairs/upgrades? Like an old car you have to ask yourself is it worth it to upgrade a depreciated asset where other things are breaking -eg. Battery, fans, screen light etc.

If your budget is say $400 and a new unit is $600 I would just buy new.

Newer portables are lighter, come with super fast SSD/nvme flash storage with 15 seconds, 9 hour battery life, and are much faster, and are thinner and lighter.

Storage speed and power usage has drastically improved for Intel CPUs and Windows 10 compared to 7. Also newer ddr 4 ram uses less power to than your ddr 3 which also improved battery life. 

I'm actually out of options and budget right now, if I had the budget, I'd definitely go for the newer laptops. All I want to do right now is max out this laptop and use it for a year or two maximum, until it dies. I would be interested in a refurb product as well but the only thing limiting me is my budget.

17 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Windows 10 support most (all?) drivers for Windows 7.

I can't think of a single driver for Windows 7 doesn't work for Windows 10.

That said, if drivers for Windows 10 is available, that is the one you should install.

I'm gonna go with Windows 10 hoping it would run on my system *fingers crossed*. Let's hope for the best. :)

ThaCrip
36 minutes ago, amalsk said:

I really don't want to use Linux, because I've been used to Windows and in my previous experience with Linux, it didn't actually go well. I know where everything is in Windows but on Linux, I found it hard....maybe if I get used to it, it will be fine. But I'd go for windows over linux anyday.

Depending on what you do (especially if you don't need many Windows specific programs and keep your usage more simple), Linux might be a solid alternative. Linux Mint is probably the safest all around choice for someone coming from Windows to Linux.

36 minutes ago, amalsk said:

I'm gonna go with Windows 10 hoping it would run on my system *fingers crossed*.

Yeah, it's not really a option at this point if someone is using Windows since Windows 10 is the standard when it comes to Windows OS's right now, especially after Microsoft dropped Windows 7 support in Jan 2020.

so basically it's either Windows 10, or look for Linux alternatives.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
erpster3
On 8/14/2020 at 10:35 PM, amalsk said:

I thought Windows allowed all editions to pause the updates, like the 2004 version onwards? Maybe I was wrong. I would never update windows because I had issues earlier and only want to use the system for basic purposes, is it better to go with the LTSC version if that's the case?

while Win10 Home allows pausing quality updates since 1903, it can NOT pause nor block the "big" feature updates (only that is possible with Pro, Enterprise, Education & LTSC editions)

btw, amalsk, if you really want to or decide to use Win10 LTSB/LTSC, send me a PM as I will not discuss how or where to get the LTSC version in these forums - I will only discuss about LTSC in private