New Privacy Page/Prompt

cork1958
7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I wonder if it’s an issue with the JavaScript popping it up. 

You'd probably know better than me! It's not that big of a deal, but has begun to get annoying.

Brandon H
3 hours ago, cork1958 said:

Constantly getting the pop up on Firefox. Get it every time I close browser and return here. I have cleared Neowin cookie too. Get in on Firefox in Windows and Linux. Guess I might as well add I get it on Waterfox also. Don't get it on Edge Chromium.

are you clearing your cookies every time the browser closes? I'm pretty sure it's a cookie based prompt so if cookies get cleared every time that could be why it comes up again consistently.

• Like 1
cork1958
7 hours ago, Brandon H said:

are you clearing your cookies every time the browser closes? I'm pretty sure it's a cookie based prompt so if cookies get cleared every time that could be why it comes up again consistently.

I do clear the temp files, but not cookies. Clear everything but cookies and site preferences in Firefox and Waterfox.

• 3 months later...
tsupersonic

This is super annoying. It’s appearing literally every time I visit this site on iOS using Edge. 

adrynalyne
3 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

This is super annoying. It’s appearing literally every time I visit this site on iOS using Edge. 

Yeah...I know it was blamed on cookies but I’ve literally switched computers and even phones during this time and nothing ever changed. 

It is sporadic too. Sometimes it’s every day, sometimes it’s every other day. Sometimes it’s every other page load. 

shockz

Wish this was based on account vs login on specific devices. 

• Like 1
Steven P.

I know it must be frustrating but I also know for a fact it is going to be an extension that is blocking the cookie from being saved, or you are wiping the cookie after each session. (not my problem I'm afraid).

The GDPR requirement also only forces the requirement on EU countries (it is a legal requirement I have to adhere to as well) but you can also install "I don't care about cookies" and enable it on Neowin, bypassing it altogether. I confirmed it works and even removes the "settings cog" at the bottom right of the page https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/i-dont-care-about-cookies/fihnjjcciajhdojfnbdddfaoknhalnja

Quantcast is just one of many GDPR cookie script requirements you'll find on most sites.

adrynalyne
20 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I know it must be frustrating but I also know for a fact it is going to be an extension that is blocking the cookie from being saved, or you are wiping the cookie after each session. (not my problem I'm afraid).

The GDPR requirement also only forces the requirement on EU countries (it is a legal requirement I have to adhere to as well) but you can also install "I don't care about cookies" and enable it on Neowin, bypassing it altogether. I confirmed it works and even removes the "settings cog" at the bottom right of the page https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/i-dont-care-about-cookies/fihnjjcciajhdojfnbdddfaoknhalnja

Quantcast is just one of many GDPR cookie script requirements you'll find on most sites.

How is it an extension...on my phone? 🤨

I literally got a new phone and ran into the same issue as before. 

SnoopZ
2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Strange it mainly only happens to you,  most people only get it once in a while.

Steven P.

Yeah good point, but my other observations still stand, are you clearing cookies after every session? Are you using Edge inPrivate mode all the time? If so, then this is expected behavior and it would be on other sites too, some present it as a top or bottom banner (see bbc.co.uk) ours is a popup.

adrynalyne
53 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Yeah good point, but my other observations still stand, are you clearing cookies after every session? Are you using Edge inPrivate mode all the time? If so, then this is expected behavior and it would be on other sites too, some present it as a top or bottom banner (see bbc.co.uk) ours is a popup.

No to all questions. I accept these prompts on sites. This is the only one that it keeps hounding me on. 

1 hour ago, SnoopZ said:

Strange it mainly only happens to you,  most people only get it once in a while.

Read back, I wasn’t the one who brought this back up. I simply commented because the issue never went away. Regardless, all the time or once in a while , it still indicates a problem. I’ve cleared cookies, I’ve changed browsers, I’ve changed hardware devices, and I’ve even had it happen on different networks. I don’t clear cookies on close of browser, I don’t even close the browser on my phone to begin with. I have no extensions on my phone. There isn’t anything left on my end. If it’s an account based issue, fine, but I would like to see if fixed. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Thanks 1
tsupersonic
7 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

No to all questions. I accept these prompts on sites. This is the only one that it keeps hounding me on. 

Read back, I wasn’t the one who brought this back up. I simply commented because the issue never went away. Regardless, all the time or once in a while , it still indicates a problem. I’ve cleared cookies, I’ve changed browsers, I’ve changed hardware devices, and I’ve even had it happen on different networks. I don’t clear cookies on close of browser, I don’t even close the browser on my phone to begin with. I have no extensions on my phone. There isn’t anything left on my end. If it’s an account based issue, fine, but I would like to see if fixed. 

Can confirm. This is not a cookie or extension issue. Happens in iOS Safari and Edge. No content blocker, no vpn, no extensions, and have changed cookie settings to test. Still get the prompt every time I visit this site (only this site). 

• Like 1
adrynalyne
10 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Can confirm. This is not a cookie or extension issue. Happens in iOS Safari and Edge. No content blocker, no vpn, no extensions, and have changed cookie settings to test. Still get the prompt every time I visit this site (only this site). 

Its odd that the cookie domain is .www.neowin.net.  Note the period in front. Thats....not a valid domain since you I'm sure you don't have subdomains of subdomains. Might want to check that out @Steven P.. It wouldn't surprise me if browsers were tossing the cookie due to it being invalid.

1829260532_Screenshot2020-11-27212604.png.110fc3037ca1959d2f4e17480f7f583c.png

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2
Steven P.
4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Its odd that the cookie domain is .www.neowin.net.  Note the period in front. Thats....not a valid domain since you I'm sure you don't have subdomains of subdomains. Might want to check that out @Steven P.. It wouldn't surprise me if browsers were tossing the cookie due to it being invalid.

1829260532_Screenshot2020-11-27212604.png.110fc3037ca1959d2f4e17480f7f583c.png

I can work with that, let me shoot a mail to my contact at Quantcast about this.

• Like 2
adrynalyne

Well, with this, the site is now far worse, because it redirects in a new tab and then redirects back here, and then starts the process all over again. I had to leave that tab up and switch back to the previous tab just to break out of it. Of course it comes back once I go the next URL.

image.png.5d7c7af83c1d31424b777d96506bcfed.png

• Like 1
tsupersonic

Well, with this, the site is now far worse, because it redirects in a new tab and then redirects back here, and then starts the process all over again. I had to leave that tab up and switch back to the previous tab just to break out of it. Of course it comes back once I go the next URL.

Ugh yeah. 

Steven P.
8 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I'll ask them to remove this feature. The idea behind this was to record the preference so that you aren't prompted on different devices, it sort of stores it in your personal account.

The other question I have for you is why are you even getting the GDPR prompt from AZ?

Steven P.

Update: there was a configuration issue where the whole world was being shown the prompt, this may have happened when I had to update the script recently. It should be set to only show for EU/CCNA regions now.

Steven P.

The popup has been replaced with a bottom banner as well.

• Like 1
tsupersonic
3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I'll ask them to remove this feature. The idea behind this was to record the preference so that you aren't prompted on different devices, it sort of stores it in your personal account.

The other question I have for you is why are you even getting the GDPR prompt from AZ?

I've been getting the prompt for quite a long time now, and I'm in New York/US.

adrynalyne
4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

🤷😁

+xrobwx71
3 hours ago, tsupersonic said:

I've been getting the prompt for quite a long time now, and I'm in New York/US.

VPN? 

tsupersonic
37 minutes ago, xrobwx71 said:

VPN? 

No.

• Like 1