strange problem

i've been having this problem recently..

i notice that if i stop using the internet after a few hours. it will go offline.. nothing works the only thing that works is FTP

messenger doesn't work, my p2p program doesn't work, and IE doesn't work.. they all give me some kind of error..

so i check the firewall and nothing wrong.. (Norton Internet Security 2004)

so then i restart the computer.. as soon as i log in a norton firewall window appears.. a wizard for network configuration. the problem with that is that is supposed to appear the first time you install norton..it was as if i had just installed a network card. that's how the computer was acting.. i had already set rules for my programs.. but it started saying. messenger is trying to access the internet.. allow or deny.. and so i went to the configuration and all the rules are set to how i had it.. :wacko:

sometimes i can get back online just by restarting the computer.. and sometimes i have to unplugg the cable modem.

but the internet connection will continue to work if i use it continuesly.. if left alone for 3 or more hours.. the only thing that works is FTP