25th anniversary of Windows 95 today

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Yup, that’s today. Just a reminder. Feel free to post in Front Page News, Steven Parker. Heh. 

I was going on 13 later that Nov 1995. 

Xenon

I remember getting up early and heading to Software Etc (it might have been EB's) to get on line to buy it. I was like 4th on line. 

• Like 2
Jim K

I'm getting old.  🙁

I loved going from 3.1 to '95...

• Like 2
Xenon
43 minutes ago, Jim K said:

I'm getting old.  🙁

2 days after I got it, my family moved to Saudi Arabia for a job my father had. I didn't have time to install it so I packed it in my luggage and brought it with me. When we got to the kingdom the only thing in my luggage that looked like it had been looked at was the windows 95 box. It was open and the disc was just laying in it. I thought maybe someone had copied it.

+warwagon

I remember, my mom, myself and my sister all sitting around our of Gateway P5-60 upgrading it to Windows 95.

I remember going to the library and seeing windows 95 for the first time. I renamed a file and just typed in gibberish as I was amazed at how long i could make the  file name. Then I was freaked out, when I clicked start and looked in recent ... and that huge file name was in there.

• Like 3
Xenon

When I saw the huge file names I thought thats it! This is the future. 

• Like 1
MtnDewCodeRedFreak

To be honest, if I had it (never did - jumped from 3.1 to 98 SE), I’d rather have the latest version of 95 (OSR2.5). USB, Pentium 2/3 (P6 microarchitecture), IE 4 shell, FAT32, etc. Plus, if I’d still had 95 OSR2.5 by the time when it got phased out, I’d have updated every single component of it. IE 5.5 SP2 and post updates to that, WMP 7.1, DUN 1.4, etc. Even the Plus! add on to it that made 95 OSR2.5 with every update look almost exactly like 98. Heh. But hey that’s just me, sooo 🤷🏻‍♂️.

waysidesc

I wish Microsoft had not forgotten its usability efforts with this OS after it was released. It is sad to see the message of Windows today when looking back at the venerable Windows 95.

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Ooo I watched a video some time ago on YouTube ... you can get modified files that updates the 95 processor speed and RAM limitations. Annnd, I know of files that updates 95 to support USB flash drives. 

Can you ever imagine running 95 OSR2.5 with all updates on a Pentium 4 and 512 MB RAM?! It’d be HELLA FAST! Like booting up and getting to the desktop in a nanosecond. 

LaP
2 hours ago, Jim K said:

I'm getting old.  🙁

I would say you're getting ancient 😉