Red screen - No boot

danduc

Good day,

This morning, tried to turn on my PC (Delle XPS 435T) circa 2009, windows 7. All I got was a Red screen (no text, no logo) and the fan turning continuously. Went on the web trying to find cause/solution. Alas, I did not find any solution.
Some suggested a bad videocard but I wonder why it still doesn't boot. Not even with F8 or all other combination of Keystrok. I cannot even go thrusafe mode..

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brandon H

Hello

it's definitely a video issue but the question is where so I'd check a few things

1. Try a different monitor or test your monitor on another system or on a DVD player or something to verify it's not the issue

2. Swap out your video cord to verify that hasn't gone bad

3. test with onboard graphics if available or test your GFX card in another system

If you're getting just a solid red then it's one of these 3 pieces that has failed or is loose most likely.

• Like 1
Joe User

Single color and hanging is usually a bad video card or a bad power supply. It really depends where in the boot process it is hanging and you won't really have the tools to figure it out. Use the process of elimination otherwise.

A bad card can easily hang the POST, as can a bad power supply.

However, before you do all of that, CHECK THE CABLES! A bad cable can also cause the same issue.

• Like 1
+BudMan

Its the computer gods telling you its time to upgrade.. 11 Year old system running an EOL OS.. Its time...

• Like 2
danduc

OK Thanks

- I have another monitor that I can hook on - I will do that
- I have ordered another video card (same model) just in case (cheap)
- Cannot test onboard graphic
- Was flawless till this morning

When I press the on button, the power supply fan starts and doesn't stop until I shut down (never did that before).I don't play games or youtube on that PC. Meanwhile the screen becomes all red but I do not get the Dell logo or splash page. It doesn't go that far.

-I cannot even use the f8 key or any other key to start in safe mode
-The DVD door open when I press the button
-The mouse gets power
-The keyboard light up

-I do have a W10 PC but most of my software are not portable to W10 (adobe suite-before the subscription thing, QuarkXpress 9 and a load of scanning software not available on W10).

I.m going to the PC repair shop tomorrow.

Thanks for helping

danduc

It's a miracle !!!!!!  I changed the monitor and VOILÀ !!!!

I had no idea that a bad monitor would prevent a PC from loading at all.

First stop tomorrow morning - a new backup HD (was done last June) and a new monitor.

Thanks to you all :-)   :-)

• Like 1
techbeck
33 minutes ago, danduc said:

It's a miracle !!!!!!  I changed the monitor and VOILÀ !!!!

I had no idea that a bad monitor would prevent a PC from loading at all.

First stop tomorrow morning - a new backup HD (was done last June) and a new monitor.

Thanks to you all 🙂 🙂

PC was probably loading just fine.  You just could not see anything on the screen to tell.  Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

• Like 1
+BudMan
15 hours ago, danduc said:

Do they sell new systems there?  That is what you should be looking for ;)

cork1958
6 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Do they sell new systems there?  That is what you should be looking for ;)

Or, at least upgrade it to Windows 10. Could even install an up to date Linux distro!

Wasn't that long ago I would've never suggested upgrading anything to Windows 10, but it's not really that bad anymore.

nekrosoft13
16 hours ago, danduc said:

OK Thanks

- I have another monitor that I can hook on - I will do that
- I have ordered another video card (same model) just in case (cheap)
- Cannot test onboard graphic
- Was flawless till this morning

When I press the on button, the power supply fan starts and doesn't stop until I shut down (never did that before).I don't play games or youtube on that PC. Meanwhile the screen becomes all red but I do not get the Dell logo or splash page. It doesn't go that far.

-I cannot even use the f8 key or any other key to start in safe mode
-The DVD door open when I press the button
-The mouse gets power
-The keyboard light up

-I do have a W10 PC but most of my software are not portable to W10 (adobe suite-before the subscription thing, QuarkXpress 9 and a load of scanning software not available on W10).

Thanks for helping

old adobe software will work fine on Windows 10, don't believe what Adobe tells you. 

• Like 1