Kenosha Shooting: 17-Year-Old Kyle Rittenhouse Arrested In Connection With Shooting That Left 2 Dead, 1 Wounded

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/08/26/kenosha-shooting-kyle-rittenhouse-arrested-antioch-fugitive/

A 17-year-old boy is in police custody in north suburban Lake County, charged as a fugitive in connection with a shooting in Kenosha, Wisconsin, that left two people dead and another wounded.

Kenosha County authorities issued an arrest warrant for 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse, of Antioch, Illinois, on Wednesday morning, charging him with first-degree intentional homicide.

Looks like this video shows him hanging out with the militia and the cops telling them that they "appreciate them being there".

Whole situation in Kenosha is unacceptable from the start and from both sides.  Why cops now do not have cameras required, I do not know.  All cops need body cams and need to keep them on at all times.  And if for some reason they were off, then the cop needs to be reprimanded and if to many violations, fired.  They also need to be better trained and the cops protecting each other needs to stop.  That happens way to often.

And people causing the violence and destruction are not protesters like what the media projects them as.  They are criminals, plain and simple.  Protesters are the ones who are peaceful and doing things right.  Do protests get heated?  Sure, but burning businesses and causing property damage and harm to individuals are unacceptable and makes these unlawful acts and the people criminals.  Violence is still raging in Portland and in both Portland and Kenosha, the victims families are calling for things to remain peaceful.  But their wishes are falling on deaf ears.  And all this violence and destruction does is take away from the real issues.  All the focus is on the violence and very little focusing on what happened and how to address the problems with the police.   Someone threw a brick at a Police officer in Kenosha and he was in really bad shape and the people laughed and cheered.   Businesses and individuals being harmed that have nothing to do with what happened.  People eating in DC are being harassed and threatened if they do not raise their fists and say what the "protesters" want them to say.  I understand people want justice and this to stop, but they are responding with the same acts they are speaking out against which makes them hypocrites and makes people not want to listen to them.

And I know some here may disagree with me here, and it is their right, but I still firmly believe most cops are just fine and do things the right way.  But the media, again, mainly reports on just he negative/bad side and you hear nothing about the good things cops do.  Victims families have made similar comments and made comments that they do not want to defund the police.  They want more/better trained police.  My cousin's husband is a cop in the Houston/Dallas area and I really feel for him and hope he is safe.  And I would say all cops need to go through training and a refresh every now and then.

Businesses and residents are leaving Portland because the Gov cannot seem to get things under control there.  Shall see if the Feds can put an end to the violence in Kenosha, or make things worse.  If they help end the violence quickly, then maybe Portland needs to ask for assistance like WI/Kenosha did.  But again, Fed presence may make things worse but shall see.

Anyway, hope things get under control soon so the issues can be heard clearly and then real change can happen.

Edited by techbeck

12 hours ago, techbeck said:

And I know some here may disagree with me here, and it is their right, but I still firmly believe most cops are just fine and do things the right way. 

Incoming personal take that you'll probably just disregard and just class it as as a slanted opinion...

I personally know police officers... some I grew up with, others have been friends that chose that career path, others I became acquainted with when I moved and had to work with them for my job. Hell, a few of them I found on dating apps lol.

They're okay most of the time, until they're not, but doing things the right way? Depends. They regularly let things slide with their close friends, and I'm not just talking about traffic tickets... i.e... selling drugs, drinking and driving, some domestic abuse exceptions. Filing complaints, and I actually have as it was a family situation... typically do nothing outside of generate a union meeting with their rep, and at worst place them on desk duty for a few days. It's a waste of time. Almost all of them can cite traffic code off the top of their head, have no problem running into a burning building, or a dangerous situation, but when it gets into the nitty gritty things about rights, and what they can and can't do when a civilian resists, that's when it becomes woefully apparent that it's the Wild West out there. It's pretty terrifying. And their egos tend to take over.

A few are indeed racists, not all of them, but the ones that are... when they discuss their actions with what they've done to black vs white examples, blacks usually are portrayed in a much more negative light, as well as the actions they take against them. I.e instead of letting them go for a small amount of weed they smell when pulling over for a traffic offense, instead of just confiscating it like they would a white person and issuing a citation, they'll search the car, usually find nothing, and then bring a dog just to be sure. They hold them up, seeing if they can get them on something else. None of them have gone and shoot up anyone of course, but that systemic racism is clearly there, and has become part of police culture. 

One of the guys I know was actually fired due to an incident where he didn't like his daughter was dating a black man, was late getting home, took his police car and searched for them, pulled them over, and in a fit of rage arrested him for no reason, tossed him in the back of his car, and admitted on camera it was because he didn't like him, and before someone thinks I'm pulling that one out of my ass.. that one made national news actually. The police department he was on is generally a good department, and in fact stood in solidarity with the BLM protests that occurred here, and have constantly been engaged within the community, so their actions do indeed speak louder than words, the problem I have is that officer was with the force for decades, and his opinions and actions were widely known. Nothing was done until there was actual irrefutable video evidence that couldn't be swept under the rug. That's the problem. The department doesn't care to do anything until they get caught red handed by the public.

Of course there are good cops out there, the problem is they enable their racist coworkers into doing terrible things by simply not speaking up or taking a stand against it. When it comes to being an officer, and enforcing the law, not saying anything is completely unacceptable behavior. And while it's only my opinion here, out of the 21 cops I personally know, I'd say at least 8 of them are racist, and almost all of them have skirted the line on making exceptions for their close friends. In just from listening to them describe their actions while on the job. They're from different departments, sometimes in different states, that's not a good percentage... and while it's certainly not a majority, that's still a good chunk of them. How that problem is fixed, well, I don't think it ever will be. We're too polarized as a country, culture that focuses on triggers instead of the actual problem. 

Edited by shockz

37 minutes ago, shockz said:

Of course there are good cops out there, the problem is they enable their racist coworkers into doing terrible things by simply not speaking up or taking a stand against it.

Goes to the comment I made that cops need to stop protecting each other.  Cops are like a fraternity and if you squeal on a one another, then everyone hates you and you are labeled a nark or retaliated against.   Which is unacceptable.  Body cam requirements also need to be mandatory for all police nationwide as that will help determine the facts of the incident.

And lots are using what is happening as an excuse to loot and commit crimes.  Shooting in Minneapolis last night where a guy shot another and the police found him.  The police approached the guy and he pulled out a gun and shot himself.  The suspect committed suicide.   Without the facts coming out, people starting to riot and loot again.  Calling for harm against the cops or for them to be arrested.  Another shooting a few days ago in Chicago I believe.  Cops were pursuing a person and that person shot at him so the cops returned fire.  Riots/looting again and people were spreading false info that the cops shot a kid. 

I understand people are upset, I am with them.  I have several black people in my family and they are tired of it but are keeping a cool head.  Everyone needs to settle down so the focus can be directed to solutions to the problems and not focusing on getting order back in the cities and addressing other crimes like looting, assault, vandalism, and murders "protesters" are committing.  Listen to the victims families who are calling for peace and calm as if people should listen to anyone now, it is the victims families.

Then of course you have people of all races using what is happening as an excuse to do criminal acts.  They do not care about what is going on and think it gives them a free pass.  Once found, then need to be prosecuted and made an example of as their acts are adding fuel to the fire and drowns out those who are doing things right.

Edited by techbeck
  • Like 2

Rittenhouse really has no defense.  Most of the vids show him a running away from a mob and it appears he is defending himself.  But there is more to it as a few other vids show Rittenhouse shooting in a parking lot and record him on his cell phone saying he killed someone.  Couple people chasing after him, unarmed, so they were no threat.  Then he is walking down the street and a mob goes after him.  He falls down, and then fires and shoots 2 more people.

First mistake is Rittenhouse having a lethal weapon under aged.

Second mistake here is people like Rittenhouse thinking they are some kind of bad ass and coming in from out of town thinking they have the right to be there armed.  They do not.  The video I watched has Rittenhouse saying there is no non lethal.  Like he went there looking for trouble.

Third mistake is the cops not telling these people to leave and go home.

From watching the full video, not just the one where the mob is chasing him, Rittenhouse really has nothing to refute.  And all of this could have been avoided if this kid stayed home and let the Police do their job.

4 people's lives are forever changed because an idiot didnt stay home.  2 dead, 1 injured, and another facing life in prison.

Video I watched is here...

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/08/26/kenosha-shooting-video-shows-suspected-gunman-kyle-rittenhouse-being-allowed-to-leave-scene/

EDIT

4th mistake...Rittenhouse was not legally allowed to carry that weapon.

Edited by techbeck

16 hours ago, Red King said:

It should be legal to carry at that age.

Should doesn't matter. I think it should never be legal to carry outside of a locked case personally. It doesn't matter what i think should and should not.

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Rittenhouse really has no defense.  Most of the vids show him a running away from a mob and it appears he is defending himself.  But there is more to it as a few other vids show Rittenhouse shooting in a parking lot and record him on his cell phone saying he killed someone.  Couple people chasing after him, unarmed, so they were no threat.  Then he is walking down the street and a mob goes after him.  He falls down, and then fires and shoots 2 more people.

First mistake is Rittenhouse having a lethal weapon under aged.

Second mistake here is people like Rittenhouse thinking they are some kind of bad ass and coming in from out of town thinking they have the right to be there armed.  They do not.  The video I watched has Rittenhouse saying there is no non lethal.  Like he went there looking for trouble.

Third mistake is the cops not telling these people to leave and go home.

From watching the full video, not just the one where the mob is chasing him, Rittenhouse really has nothing to refute.  And all of this could have been avoided if this kid stayed home and let the Police do their job.

4 people's lives are forever changed because an idiot didnt stay home.  2 dead, 1 injured, and another facing life in prison.

Video I watched is here...

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/08/26/kenosha-shooting-video-shows-suspected-gunman-kyle-rittenhouse-being-allowed-to-leave-scene/

EDIT

4th mistake...Rittenhouse was not legally allowed to carry that weapon.

The sad thing about it is i think the kid actually talked to police officers before the shooting and his gun was visible (could be wrong bu i read that somewhere). Those police officers by law were required to arrest him. From the photos i saw he doesn't look 18 at all. If this is true had those police officers done their job properly then the kid would potentially face less trouble. This kid needs psychological help.

7 hours ago, mudslag said:

So my 9 yr old should be able to carry?

People are use weapons at that age with supervision.  Personally, I do not have a problem with people that age using weapons as long as they are with a responsible adult. 

Don't think the kid will go to jail. First guy he killed was in self defense (some said he threw a Molotov at the kid) second one he killed attacked him while he was on the ground with a skateboard. "Mr. Im Missing My Bicep" pulled a gun on him as well. The kid is a True American.

6 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Don't think the kid will go to jail. First guy he killed was in self defense (some said he threw a Molotov at the kid) second one he killed attacked him while he was on the ground with a skateboard. "Mr. Im Missing My Bicep" pulled a gun on him as well. The kid is a True American.

Yeah. That’s not at all what happened. The “skateboard” guy that was killed was attempting to disarm him after he started shooting. 

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

People are use weapons at that age with supervision.  Personally, I do not have a problem with people that age using weapons as long as they are with a responsible adult. 

I used a weapon at that age. A 22 riffle. On a private property with an adult supervising me. Personally i'll always think conceal and carry is a problem and i'll never agree with it. Only police and military should carry a firearm ready to fire. No matter the age. If i would live in a city where people can walk on the road with a gun loaded and ready to fire i would move to another city. If no city would be available in my country i would try to move to another country if possible. The last thing i would want is to be involved in a dispute with someone carrying a gun ready to fire knowing that he can legally kill me at anytime because he taught i was dangerous. If i had to avoid people and run away from them because they are armed then it means for me that i'm not free anymore.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Don't know the laws there but in Canada illegal use of a firearm is 2 years even in self defense.

The kid will likely get charged for illegally carrying that weapon.  Though WI has some unique laws about rifles due to deer hunting.  Toddlers are able to get deer tags for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets off the hook on self defense though.  There is a social media post from the guy that was shot and survived that said his mistake was not unloading his weapon into Kyle.  The lawyers will have a field day building a case around the videos and social media.

8 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

The kid will likely get charged for illegally carrying that weapon.  Though WI has some unique laws about rifles due to deer hunting.  Toddlers are able to get deer tags for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets off the hook on self defense though.  There is a social media post from the guy that was shot and survived that said his mistake was not unloading his weapon into Kyle.  The lawyers will have a field day building a case around the videos and social media.

Maybe on the first guy, the one he shot and killed when he was being disarmed after shooting the first guy, that would be a tougher case to sell to a Jury. He's got his work cut out for him for a full dismissal.

He's on video from numerous angles, it's clear he's the aggressor in these situations. The fact that he was even there in the first place, brandishing his weapon, being out of state, looking for a fight will go against him.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Fact he illegally had a firearm will go against him.  And in the first part of the video I posted, just shows what looks like 1 person running to him and he opens fire.  They were unarmed and hardly a threat IMO.  And the last couple people he shot, they were just trying to subdue him for shooting the first person.  Rittenhouse escalated the situation and looks to be the aggressor.   And first part of the video, he looks amped up and says "we have no non lethal here".  And the other guy pulling a weapon of his own was defense as Rittenhouse already killed one person and was poised to do it again.

I am all for defending yourself if/when needed.  But Rittenhouse had no business being in Kenosha.  Not his town, not his state, and not his job.  And he had no business legally to carry that weapon.

12 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

lol, yeah lets jump at a guy who is on the ground with a gun while he is being attacked by another. How do you disarm a guy with a skateboard? oh, you hit him.

Are you saying you can't knock someone out with a skateboard?  Huber was trying to prevent others from being murdered and paid with his own life.

There wasn't a molotov thrown at the killer.

The 17 year old came illegally armed, was looking for trouble and ended two people lives.  He shouldn't be celebrated nor his "vigilante" actions be condoned.

2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Are you saying you can't knock someone out with a skateboard?  Huber was trying to prevent others from being murdered and paid with his own life.

There wasn't a molotov thrown at the killer.

The 17 year old came illegally armed, was looking for trouble and ended two people lives.  He shouldn't be celebrated nor his "vigilante" actions be condoned.

He's basically a hero in conservative circles. It's amazing the disconnect they're displaying.... and it's on display with TheLaughingMan, "true American". 

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I am all for defending yourself if/when needed.  But Rittenhouse had no business being in Kenosha.  Not his town, not his state, and not his job.  And he had no business legally to carry that weapon.

I do agree, but I don't think those details are relevant.  You can make the same case of saying if George Floyd and Jacob Blake didn't commit a crime to cause the police to show up, then none of the issues would have happened.  While absolutely true, it doesn't affect how the outcome is treated.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Fact he illegally had a firearm will go against him.

It will not in the case of self defense. There was a similar case couple of years ago in Canada where someone was found not guilty of murder because of self defense but because he illegally used a firearm he still got 2 years for illegally using it in self defense. Self defense is self defense the fact you illegally use a weapon to protect yourself doesn't matter much. But depending on the laws there he could still be charged for being there illegally with a an armed firearm in the first place.

I think what will make or break his case when it comes to the self defense is determining who initiated the whole thing. There's a "rumor" he killed someone before the chase. If this is true then this is where the case will be won or lost as the chase wont really matter anymore what will matter is the event that led to him killing that first person.

2 minutes ago, LaP said:

It will not in the case of self defense. There was a similar case couple of years ago in Canada where someone was found not guilty of murder because of self defense but because he illegally used a firearm he still got 2 years for illegally using it in self defense.

WI is not Canada.  Also, there is a difference if say I was 16 years old in my house.   Someone breaks in to my house and I go and use a gun to protect myself.  As apposed to this situation with Rittenhouse.

There's a "rumor" he killed someone before the chase.

No, not a rumor.  A fact.  The video in the link I posted shows this.  He is even recorded on his cell saying he killed someone.  A lot of the videos people posted leave out the first encounter where the first person was killed.  Reason why he was being  chased was because he shot someone.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

I do agree, but I don't think those details are relevant.  You can make the same case of saying if George Floyd and Jacob Blake didn't commit a crime to cause the police to show up, then none of the issues would have happened.  While absolutely true, it doesn't affect how the outcome is treated.

I agree. But if he was there looking for troubles and it can be proven then it should matter. I personally really don't like the self defense laws in USA. None of my business as i Canadian i agree but still i think they are weird.

They are basically the same as in Canada except in Canada you can't start a fight and then say i was losing the fight so i had to kill in self defense. In Canada self defense applies only if you 100% mind your own business. If you are caught in a fist fight you initiated in Canada (even just verbally by insulting someone) the only way you'll get away with murder is by killing him accidentally with your own fist. If you draw a firearm in a fist fight you initiated and kill you can forget it you're done and i think it's how it should be personally.

So i think personally the reasons why he was there armed do matters a lot. In a free country people should not have to flew from armed citizen. If you have to flew then you're not free anymore. The ability to confront someone and still be safe should be given in a free country. I confronted people looking for trouble a couple of times in my life. If he was there looking for troubles and as soon as he got it drew his firearm to kill then he should be guilty imo.