Florida police officer shot while serving warrant, suspect killed in ‘gun battle,’ chief says

NSFW  for video in link

Florida police shot and killed a man wanted for attempted murder on Saturday after the suspect opened fire on officers, striking one of them during a “gun battle," officials said.

The officer was hit in his bullet-proof vest and suffered a bruise to his chest from the impact, Daytona Beach Police Chief Craig Capri told reporters. A second officer tripped during the gunfire and injured his head and neck. Both officers were in “great spirits” at a hospital, according to Capri, and were expected to recover from their injuries.

The department released officer bodycam footage of the shootout, which Capri said shows that the suspect “tried to murder these police officers,” who were forced to return fire in self-defense.

"His intent was to go out in a shootout,” Capri said of the suspect, “not to surrender.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-officer-shot-suspect-killed-gun-battle-police

Why bodycams should be a requirement.  Some Police Depts approved them years ago but have yet to implement them.  Video in source link...no way to dispute what happened.

Now, I'm not saying the suspect didn't deserve the response he got after firing first but.... well, that cop who was hit did fire an awful lot of rounds in response and is clearly heard saying "I'm gonna get this f-er".  It's clear his intent was to kill the suspect, and I'm not saying that's totally wrong as he DID fire first, but I do think the response was maybe a little excessive...

I'm amazed that woman wasn't hit too, especially as the cop was blind firing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Now, I'm not saying the suspect didn't deserve the response he got after firing first but.... well, that cop who was hit did fire an awful lot of rounds in response and is clearly heard saying "I'm gonna get this f-er".  It's clear his intent was to kill the suspect, and I'm not saying that's totally wrong as he DID fire first, but I do think the response was maybe a little excessive...

Welcome to a real firefight. This wasn't TV or a movie; most shots miss, you keep firing until the threat is subdued, and sometimes you get shot too.

Some of these guys will take a crazy number of hits and keep shooting. In the 1986 Miami shootout, the FBI vs. a pair of serial bank robbers, the perps were hit 6 and 12 times before they went down. 2 agents dead, 3 wounded.

I'm amazed that woman wasn't hit too, especially as the cop was blind firing.

Not so much blind as instructed by walls & doors. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DocM said:

He couldn't see the target. That's 100% blind firing, or as the US military call it,  spray and pray.

7 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I would imagine I would be pretty heated and swearing like crazy after being shot like that.  And they called out several times and no answer.  So I would imagine they would have taken that as he was not going to surrender or he may have already been dead.  Door was closed and they could not see inside.

Guy signed his death cert by shooting the officer and they were after him for shooting a woman 2 times a week or so earlier. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

“Most shots miss”... there’s a nice one for all those people who espouse the value of carrying a firearm and how it “benefits” a situation.

It depends on the situation and what you're targeting. 

If you shoot to wound an extremity, as many uninformed folks say they should, the percentages are low - about 15% and they can often keep shooting if hit.

A center of mass shot is much higher - bigger target, more vital parts.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of dynamic entry if the perp(s)  aren't actiively shooting. Too many things can go wrong, as with the late night no-knock raid on EMT Breonna Taylor's home. Wrong address, she was killed.

ok...this is NOT one of them videos of police being nuts...the officer WAS actually shot first, and on his chest.  Two inches higher and its on his neck. 

As a response of how many shots fired....sorry, if someone shoots at me, I will empty a mag to make sure the threat is eliminated....my life vs his.

It sucks someone lost a life.....there was NO need.  All the dude had to do was come out.

Edited by Zinomian

8 hours ago, DocM said:

Would rather blind fire at the point as the guy opened fire on the officers first.  And I doubt the officers wanted to step out in the open again.  110% the perps fault here.   If the guy barricaded himself in the room, it is possible he could have been reasoned with.  Instead, he fired the first shot.

Also, notice so far, no riots or looting and IMO, doubt there will be considering the body cam footage shows all what happened.

Quote my full post.  Has everything to do with the body cam.  Body cams hold officers, and perps, responsible and officers tend to act and do things right when they know their actions are being recorded.  While cams shouldnt be the reason people act right, they help provide the full story.   A lot of these incidents, officers word against others and there is no real clear case either way.  So lots of assumptions and miss info get spread around.

14 hours ago, DocM said:

Welcome to a real firefight. This wasn't TV or a movie; most shots miss, you keep firing until the threat is subdued, and sometimes you get shot too.

Some of these guys will take a crazy number of hits and keep shooting. In the 1986 Miami shootout, the FBI vs. a pair of serial bank robbers, the perps were hit 6 and 12 times before they went down. 2 agents dead, 3 wounded.

Do you often get your instructions from walls and doors? That would explain a lot!

On a more serious note, there was an innocent woman caught in the crossfire...she was lucky because it’s not apparent the officer saw her as he was wildly shooting in her direction. 

Edited by adrynalyne

13 hours ago, wakjak said:

It's almost like when they shoot and kill an actual bad guy, people don't protest it...

Plenty of times they shot the right guy for the right reasons and the "protesters" go haywire. Talk about shooting first...

It almost happened in Detroit; the wingnuts were spinning up when Chief Craig rushed out a video of the idiot shooting at a cops head from 6 feet away. 

• Facepalm 2

10 hours ago, DocM said:

Plenty of times they shot the right guy for the right reasons and the "protesters" go haywire. Talk about shooting first...

It almost happened in Detroit; the wingnuts were spinning up when Chief Craig rushed out a video of the idiot shooting at a cops head from 6 feet away. 

Another recent shooting in LA.  Riots and without even time to look at the case, people demanding justice and for the cops to be punished.  Give time for an investigation but that is not what they want.  They want immediate action and guilty until proven innocent.   Guess they need a new TV and other items.... 

And of course, the LA officers had no body cams so another instance of cops word over gen public regardless of what evidences comes out.  Every office should wear body cams at all times.