Windows 10 file search

I updated to Windows 10 version 2004 a couple of days ago and since then the files search has stopped working. I have search online for fixes and have tried everything I have found with no resolution. I have also tried to do windows updates and it tells me that I am up to date. I have rebooted multiple times and still nothing. Luckily I have a lot experience with command line searches and batch file writing and am able to use that function. Has anybody else run into this? Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Just a quick note: When I try to click into the search box at the top of the explorer window, it will not let me. 

7 hours ago, dean1959 said:

I updated to Windows 10 version 2004 a couple of days ago and since then the files search has stopped working. I have search online for fixes and have tried everything I have found with no resolution. I have also tried to do windows updates and it tells me that I am up to date. I have rebooted multiple times and still nothing. Luckily I have a lot experience with command line searches and batch file writing and am able to use that function. Has anybody else run into this? Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Just a quick note: When I try to click into the search box at the top of the explorer window, it will not let me. 

It works for me on 10 2004, have you tried running sfc/scannow from an elevated command prompt?

I tried the scannow and it showed having repaired files and I rebooted a couple of times but no joy. I guess it looks like I am going to have to do a reset or a reinstall.

A couple days ago I was using an older version of windows. I was surprised on how much quicker the file search was on Windows 7 than on Windows 10.

I did a reset and reinstalled all my programs and now everything works on version 2004 including the file search function. I don't know what the problem was but I am going to get a good backup now and in the future I should be okay as long as I am on this version at least.

Just now, dean1959 said:

I did a reset and reinstalled all my programs and now everything works on version 2004 including the file search function. I don't know what the problem was but I am going to get a good backup now and in the future I should be okay as long as I am on this version at least.

file indexing must have been corrupt or something; that's the only thing I can think of. odd for sure.