National Geographic -Bin Laden's hard drive

+warwagon

Watching National Geographic "Bin Laden's hard drive" with Sara. Every time the documentary mentions "Files on his hard drive" they do a slow pan over of a computer motherboard..... whaaat? That's not a hard drive.

I guess i'm easily annoyed.

photo_2020-09-12_12-37-32.jpg

• Like 1
Snyper2020

You're being pedantic. 99% of the world wouldn't recognise a hard drive if you threw it at them. 

The pan over shot is what people expect the inside of a computer is. The location of the flux capacitor is irrelevant 

Sulphy

HA! I agree with you, annoys me when they get tech wrong in a documentary. Having said that, i still hear of alot of folks that refer to the PC case as the "hard drive" .... would have thought NG would have at least been a bit more up to date with the correct terminology. Imagine the ensuing chaos though if they said "Bin Laden's SSD" 😆

+warwagon
4 hours ago, Snyper2020 said:

You're being pedantic. 99% of the world wouldn't recognise a hard drive if you threw it at them. 

The pan over shot is what people expect the inside of a computer is. The location of the flux capacitor is irrelevant 

And this is the reason why. When ever I watch a documentary, and someone  in the field of the topic replies and said when X was shown on screen that's not correct,  I get annoyed. I'm watching it to be educated.

• Like 2
Snyper2020
23 hours ago, warwagon said:

And this is the reason why. When ever I watch a documentary, and someone  in the field of the topic replies and said when X was shown on screen that's not correct,  I get annoyed. I'm watching it to be educated.

You're not watching a documentary about the information on Bin laden's hard drive to get educated on hard drives. That would be a different documentary 

I recently sold equipment to a prop company that are making a documentary on a particular car for the history channel. They're re creating the factory 

Neither of the components they asked for and purchased were ever in the car..or anything like it..or any car ever!

But only an enthusiast would notice. They're only for effect 

jnelsoninjax
3 hours ago, Snyper2020 said:

You're not watching a documentary about the information on Bin laden's hard drive to get educated on hard drives. That would be a different documentary 

I recently sold equipment to a prop company that are making a documentary on a particular car for the history channel. They're re creating the factory 

Neither of the components they asked for and purchased were ever in the car..or anything like it..or any car ever!

But only an enthusiast would notice. They're only for effect 

I think you are missing the point. What @warwagonis saying is that it is humorous to people who work in the industry (IT) and was commenting on the fact that they at least showed a motherboard, unlike the TV clip where they pull out a PSU and refer to it as a hard drive...

• Like 1
Snyper2020
19 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I think you are missing the point. What @warwagonis saying is that it is humorous to people who work in the industry (IT) and was commenting on the fact that they at least showed a motherboard, unlike the TV clip where they pull out a PSU and refer to it as a hard drive...

Fair enough. That one went over my head.

Perhaps I'll catch the next one 🤣

• Like 1
+warwagon
1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Well, I wasn't commenting on how at least they showed the motherboard. It was still wrong, I was comparing how both say hard drive and show a different PC component. 

jnelsoninjax
6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Well, I wasn't commenting on how at least they showed the motherboard. It was still wrong, I was comparing how both say hard drive and show a different PC component. 

OK, you do make a good point, if a show is going to say hard drive, show a hard drive, not a motherboard.

+warwagon
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, you do make a good point, if a show is going to say hard drive, show a hard drive, not a motherboard.

He mentioned about how people expected to see that,  That's because people like National Geographic has been misinforming them for years.