Western digital 'My book' external HDD question

+jnelsoninjax

I have a WD My book drive, but it no longer powers up. Is there anyway that I could get into the case and access the HDD, or is the data stored in such a matter that it will not be accessible anymore?

REM2000

you can remove the drive from the case, this of course will void the warranty if it still has one. 

There will be videos on youtube on how to shuck / remove the drive, if you want to use the case again i recommend you be as careful as possible as there are usually lots of small hooks made out of flimsy plastic which are easy to break. Wont hurt the drive but will make the case lose and ill fitting. 

You should then be able to attach the drive either internally directly or place into another caddy / SATA to USB adapter.

The drives are generally standard spinning HDD's

• Thanks 1
techbeck

Yes, like what REM2000 said.  I have done this several times and got new enclosures as well.     Never opened an external SSD drive so not sure about those.

+jnelsoninjax

OK, thanks for the replies. I am not sure that I really need to reuse the enclosure, but it can't hurt to look!

Mindovermaster

From my experience, MOST WD MyBooks have a controller card on them that encrypts all data. Meaning you can't just hook it up to your computer and read everything.

You need a replacement controller card, or if you don't care about the data, you can reformat it in GParted. Little difficult, but you can do it.

+jnelsoninjax
24 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

From my experience, MOST WD MyBooks have a controller card on them that encrypts all data. Meaning you can't just hook it up to your computer and read everything.

You need a replacement controller card, or if you don't care about the data, you can reformat it in GParted. Little difficult, but you can do it.

This is an older drive (2016) and it is currently sitting in my dock, working just fine!

Mindovermaster
20 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

This is an older drive (2016) and it is currently sitting in my dock, working just fine!

Yeah, the older ones didn't have that. 😛