Is there life on ... Venus?

It's an extraordinary possibility - the idea that living organisms are floating in the clouds of Planet Venus.

But this is what astronomers are now considering after detecting a gas in the atmosphere they can't explain.

That gas is phosphine - a molecule made up of one phosphorus atom and three hydrogen atoms.

On Earth, phosphine is associated with life, with microbes living in the guts of animals like penguins, or in oxygen-poor environments such as swamps.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54133538

Interesting, but I doubt they are boogying in the clouds of Venus.

I watched the entire presser today by the Royal Astronomical Society and the evidence the presented was compelling. The mission now moves to the stage of proving its NOT microbial in origin.  

Exactly, look for non-organic chemistry first.

That said, years ago it was postulated microbes or floating lifeforms (think aerial jellyfish) could be bobbing around in the upper atmosphere of Venus; much lower pressure & temps, more light, in general a more hospitable environment  than the surface.

NASA has even developed a mission plan for a floating laboratory at Venus  including a crewed version; Project HAVOC (High Altitude Venus Operational Concept)

https://sacd.larc.nasa.gov/smab/havoc/

havoc_slider.png

• 1 month later...

Because of the high temperatures, life on the surface of Venus is impossible, but its atmosphere is cooler, so microorganisms can still exist there. We do not yet know what kind of organisms have. But we assume that they live in the clouds because the temperature in the atmosphere is suitable for life

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 28/10/2020 at 02:02, FloatingFatMan said:

Is there life on Venus?  Nope.

Didn't watch but who is Thunderf00t? LOL

36 minutes ago, Superuser said:

Well, perhaps you should watch it and find out?  He's a nuclear physicist who, in his spare time, likes to debunk morons on the internet.

46 minutes ago, Superuser said:

But...

9 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, perhaps you should watch it and find out?  He's a nuclear physicist who, in his spare time, likes to debunk morons on the internet.

But.. did you watch this?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

A nuclear physicist? Does he flash his credentials in the video? LOL Regardless, it is not exactly his area of expertise right?

Wait, who is the idiot on the Internet?

Thunderf00t from YouTube or Prof Jane Greaves and her team from Cardiff University?

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Superuser said:

A nuclear physicist? Does he flash his credentials in the video? LOL Regardless, it is not exactly his area of expertise right?

Wait, who is the idiot on the Internet?

Thunderf00t from YouTube or Prof Jane Greaves and her team from Cardiff University?

Interestingly enough, he covers your exact question at about 8:20...that's if you take the time to watch the video.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Interestingly enough, he covers your exact question at about 8:20...that's if you take the time to watch the video.

He flashes his credentials at 8:20?

Sorry, I don't have time to watch random videos on the internet. FloatingFatMan didn't even promote him well. He is an unnamed nuclear physicist. Cool! I am not ready to suspend all investigations on life on Venus.

• Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, Superuser said:

Sorry, I don't have time to watch random videos on the internet. FloatingFatMan didn't even promote him well. He is an unnamed nuclear physicist. Cool! I am not ready to suspend all investigations on life on Venus.

That's fine. I just didn't understand why you would choose to comment on a video you hadn't watched, specifically pointing out that you hadn't watched it. It doesn't exactly do much to help your corner. But at the same time I guess it doesn't prevent you from continuing to believe that Venus should be investigated for signs of life.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Superuser said:

He flashes his credentials at 8:20?

Actually, he's a very well known physicist on the internet who's been doing both fascinating experiments AND debunking videos for years, but if you're not even going to give him the time of day to watch and listen, well... You do you.  Try not to suffocate with all that sand around your head.

17 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

That's fine. I just didn't understand why you would choose to comment on a video you hadn't watched, specifically pointing out that you hadn't watched it. It doesn't exactly do much to help your corner. But at the same time I guess it doesn't prevent you from continuing to believe that Venus should be investigated for signs of life.

I don't understand why FloatingFatMan bothered posting it with no information/context. A random YouTube video is NOT a good source for most things let alone scientific argument.

9 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Actually, he's a very well known physicist on the internet who's been doing both fascinating experiments AND debunking videos for years, but if you're not even going to give him the time of day to watch and listen, well... You do you.  Try not to suffocate with all that sand around your head.

How would I know that? You still haven't even named the guy. Is it some kind of secret? LOL The dude himself couldn't even bother to post any information about who he is on his channel about page. I am baffled why anyone would bother watching his videos if they came across his channel?

A 45 sec funny cat video? I don't need to know who posted it. Someone who is posting a 20 min video making some kind of scientific claim? I need to know who he is and what his credentials are before investing my time. One reason why we have so many damn flat earth and anti-vaxxer idiots... Random freaking YouTube videos. Maybe I am to old school. I used to read science magazines for fun when a kid.

If you really need his REAL name, it's Dr Phillip Mason, and that info is readily available in many of his videos, OR you should just type thunderf00t into Google and read his wiki page...

I do have one correction though.  Wiki lists him as a chemist (which I knew), but he also works in a nuclear research facility so assuming nuclear physicist is an understandable error.

34 minutes ago, Superuser said:

I don't understand why FloatingFatMan bothered posting it with no information/context. A random YouTube video is NOT a good source for most things let alone scientific argument.

But do you not see how your argument doesn't work? You are right that a random video is as good as a random stranger on the street yelling that the end is nigh, but a video from someone with a scientific background can be more valid. The difference is you didn't bother to watch the video and learn about the person's credentials. You discarded the argument being made without looking at the evidence presented, just because you didn't know anything about the person presenting the evidence. That doesn't make their argument less credible, it just puts you in a worse position for your argument.

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

But do you not see how your argument doesn't work? You are right that a random video is as good as a random stranger on the street yelling that the end is nigh, but a video from someone with a scientific background can be more valid. The difference is you didn't bother to watch the video and learn about the person's credentials. You discarded the argument being made without looking at the evidence presented, just because you didn't know anything about the person presenting the evidence. That doesn't make their argument less credible, it just puts you in a worse position for your argument.

Ummmm I have many dozens of legit sources for scientific information. Once again, I don't have time to watch random YouTube video. Sorry...  Yes, I don't know anything about the guy making the video after viewing his channel about page and many replies from you and FloatingFatMan (he finally gave his name in his last comment). No, I wasn't about to watch one of the videos to see if that information was forthcoming. #facepalm

Funny, I did a 2 sec. Google search on him and see he has PhD in Chemistry, Maybe FloatingFatMan should have lead with that instead of saying he was a "nuclear physicist" (aka not as relevant).

I still ended up wasting 20 minutes of my life in this "discussion" so moving on now.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Superuser said:

Ummmm I have many dozens of legit sources for scientific information. Once again, I don't have time to watch random YouTube video. Sorry...  Yes, I don't know anything about the guy making the video after viewing his channel about page and many replies from you and FloatingFatMan (he finally gave his name in his last comment). No, I wasn't about to watch one of the videos to see if that information was forthcoming. #facepalm

Funny, I did a 2 sec. Google search on him and see he has PhD in Chemistry, Maybe FloatingFatMan should have lead with that instead of saying he was a "nuclear physicist" (aka not as relevant).

I still ended up wasting 20 minutes of my life in this "discussion" so moving on now.

The time you spent arguing, you could have saved quite a bit by watching something you don't have time to watch...

• Like 2

There is a lymric that comes to mind....

24 minutes ago, xrobwx71 said:

There is a lymric that comes to mind....

There once was a lady from Venus

Who's body was shaped like a penis

Picard was in awe

T'was the biggest he saw

When the crew dropped their pants and he'd seen us

There once was a lady from Venus

Whose body was shaped like an anus.

The gravitational pull

Of her mighty black hole

Was all that it took to please us.

OK I'll staph.

• Haha 2