Windows 10 flashing after login

So I was playing a game, I exited like normal.  I tried to open the start menu, when I did that, the start menu kept closing instantly.   Sooo I hit restart, and it kept going and going so I pressed and held the power button.   

Now when I sign in my desktop flashes the taskbar and black screen.  I can load the task manager to view was running without issue.  

I also, held shift and clicked restart to try and get to the safe mode options and it doesn’t do anything either.  

Any ideas?

Is it fully up to date.

I booted up the usb I have for windows and clicked repair, it said it can’t repair it. 

30 minutes ago, Som said:

try reinstalling the graphics drivers, if it's a laptop and two are listed, try disabling each one at a time  and see what happens

Can’t reinstall the graphics driver because I can’t log into windows.  I can’t log into safe mode because when I click restart when holding shift, it goes to a black screen and won’t restart.  

13 minutes ago, warwagon said:

sounds like it might be an explorer shell extension.

Maybe take a look at this 

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows (nirsoft.net)

Also take a look at the event viewer and see if when explorer.exe dies if it points to a file it's dying on.

Can’t view the event viewer.   Task manager loads but when I try to start a process nothing happens.  

nothing was recently installed and no recent updates either. 

10 minutes ago, Subliminal87 said:

Can’t reinstall the graphics driver because I can’t log into windows.  I can’t log into safe mode because when I click restart when holding shift, it goes to a black screen and won’t restart.  

Can’t view the event viewer.   Task manager loads but when I try to start a process nothing happens.  

nothing was recently installed and no recent updates either. 

Well if you can get to the task manager then you can actually log into windows, it's just that nothing opens. So if you click file / run and type in eventvwr it won't open? 

On another machine (if you have one), I would download Crystal disk zip and extract it to a flash drive https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Then boot off your windows USB, and go to the recovery and command prompt and try launching crystal disk info and check the smart data of your OS disk.

12 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Well if you can get to the task manager then you can actually log into windows, it's just that nothing opens. So if you click file / run and type in eventvwr it won't open? 

On another machine (if you have one), I would download Crystal disk zip and extract it to a flash drive https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Then boot off your windows USB, and go to the recovery and command prompt and try launching crystal disk info and check the smart data of your OS disk.

Yeah it accepts eventvwr but then just won’t open it.  

just now when I restarted it it booted into windows normally now like nothing was wrong.  Is there anyway I can’t find out what happened?  

1 minute ago, Subliminal87 said:

Yeah it accepts eventvwr but then just won’t open it.  

just now when I restarted it it booted into windows normally now like nothing was wrong.  Is there anyway I can’t find out what happened?  

while it's booting normally, I would check the smart data with crystal disk. Also check the eventviewer.

6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

while it's booting normally, I would check the smart data with crystal disk. Also check the eventviewer.

Thanks.  Lots of errors in event viewer.  Not sure which ones I should be looking for.  

checking out crystal disk now

4 minutes ago, Subliminal87 said:

Well, restarted the computer and back to square one. 

Did you check the smart data before restarting?  If it's a funky sector on the hard drive, the issue may come and go.

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Did you check the smart data before restarting?  If it's a funky sector on the hard drive, the issue may come and go.

Smart data showed as good.  

so after that I rebooted just to see what would happen.  And bam 

im noticing what when it was fixed when I got to the login screen it showed a different background and showed my email count. 

that doesn’t happen now and is just the default login background when this is occurring 

1 minute ago, Subliminal87 said:

Smart data showed as good.  

so after that I rebooted just to see what would happen.  And bam 

Do you have an HDD or an ssd?

• 2 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for 90 days. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.