If any of you is looking for a laptop, these are back in stock again at Walmart

I bought one and I can tell you they are blazing fast. No joke. Great build quality. Not plastic. IPS screen looks absolutely gorgeous. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-14-1-FHD-Ultra-Slim-Notebook-Intel-Core-i5-1035G1-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Tuned-THX-Audio-Fingerprint-Scanner-Webcam-HDMI-Cortana-Windows-10-Home/828696636

Made by Evoo. My concern is why Acer felt the need to license out their brand to a company not known for their quality products?

4 hours ago, spacelordmaster said:

I bought one and I can tell you they are blazing fast. No joke. Great build quality. Not plastic. IPS screen looks absolutely gorgeous. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-14-1-FHD-Ultra-Slim-Notebook-Intel-Core-i5-1035G1-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Tuned-THX-Audio-Fingerprint-Scanner-Webcam-HDMI-Cortana-Windows-10-Home/828696636

Did you look under the hood to see if it has a second m.2 slot?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Did you look under the hood to see if it has a second m.2 slot?

Yes it does have it

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Made by Evoo. My concern is why Acer felt the need to license out their brand to a company not known for their quality products?

It is not made by Evoo. It's made by Acer. Also, if you are so worried about it, then just get the extended 3 year warranty for $59.00 and you are all set. You now will have a total of 4 years of warranty if the thing blows up in your face. Walmart doesn't screw around when it comes to those extended Warranties. They just give you a new product and get it out of the way.

10 minutes ago, spacelordmaster said:

Yes it does have it

It is not made by Evoo. It's made by Acer.

You sure about that?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/we-found-out-who-makes-walmarts-new-gateway-laptops-and-its-bad-news/
"More accurately, EVOO imports devices made by Shenzhen Bmorn Technology, a Chinese national brand. We found US Customs records of EVOO importing from Bmorn, with devices under both the Gateway brand and EVOO's own inside the same shipment."

"An Acer representative confirmed later that, although Acer does own the Gateway brand, it is not directly involved in the production or manufacture of these devices."

https://electric.garden/shenzhen-bmorn-2acpr/notebook-gwtn141-4

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spacelordmaster said:

Yes it does have it

Cool ... that probably answers your external HDD vs. flash drive vs. Micro SD question.  :)

Just now, adrynalyne said:

You sure about that?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/we-found-out-who-makes-walmarts-new-gateway-laptops-and-its-bad-news/
"More accurately, EVOO imports devices made by Shenzhen Bmorn Technology, a Chinese national brand. We found US Customs records of EVOO importing from Bmorn, with devices under both the Gateway brand and EVOO's own inside the same shipment."

"An Acer representative confirmed later that, although Acer does own the Gateway brand, it is not directly involved in the production or manufacture of these devices."

https://electric.garden/shenzhen-bmorn-2acpr/notebook-gwtn141-4

That is a very interesting website. OK. I take what I said back, indeed you are correct, BUT, as one reader said on the link you posted,

"Should we judge HP or Dell entirely based on the awfulness of their 2010-era Netbooks?" or even the horrendous HP Stream they sell for $250 at BestBuy? or should we judge Nvidia for the horrible cards some of their 3rd party manufacturers make? Or Microsoft for the Xbox failures it gave us? Or maybe Toshiba for making junk?

2 minutes ago, spacelordmaster said:

That is a very interesting website. OK. I take what I said back, indeed you are correct, BUT, as one reader said on the link you posted,

"Should we judge HP or Dell entirely based on the awfulness of their 2010-era Netbooks?" or even the horrendous HP Stream they sell for $250 at BestBuy? or should we judge Nvidia for the horrible cards some of their 3rd party manufacturers make? Or Microsoft for the Xbox failures it gave us? Or maybe Toshiba for making junk?

It doesn't matter either way to me, because I am not the target market. However, the issue I take with  a company trying to hide its name with a different one to hide a stigma instead of standing on its own. Neither Dell or HP despite their crappiness in the past, changed their names or tried to hide them.

It doesn't matter either way to me, because I am not the target market. However, the issue I take with  a company trying to hide its name with a different one to hide a stigma instead of standing on its own. Neither Dell or HP despite their crappiness in the past, changed their names or tried to hide them.

Maybe they are trying to do the right thing since they had such a bad reputation in the past? (just like all other manufacturers have before them) ?

I mean, think about it, why would Acer ruin their reputation, and risk tarnishing their name and the Gateway brand by allowing some other company to make a garbage product? Acer has been through hell and back. Years ago, in the late 90s, they were at the brink of bankruptcy. They made it back and it wasn't easy. They are now making billions in profit every year. They have had their share of junk computers in the past too. 

I can tell you that the laptop seems to be well built. I don't see any manufacturing issues with it - so far. It's blazing fast...and I mean, fast. Had absolutely no bloatware of any kind. The thing works. I compared it to other laptops (HP, Lenovo) and it doesn't get any hotter than those mentioned. Maybe it will crap out on me or maybe it won't, but that's what the extended warranty is for, so why not give it a shot?

Hmm, that doesn't look like a bad deal. Been trying to keep an eye out for a relatively cheaper laptop for my brother. Like that it already has 16gb memory. Would be nicer if it was 15" or bigger though. He's blind as a bat! Will have to send him the link.

Thanks

Just now, cork1958 said:

Hmm, that doesn't look like a bad deal. Been trying to keep an eye out for a relatively cheaper laptop for my brother. Like that it already has 16gb memory. Would be nicer if it was 15" or bigger though. He's blind as a bat! Will have to send him the link.

Thanks

The 15.6 inch model is $499.00. Same specs.

EVOO is a relatively new company. According to this, they have only been in business since 2018 and they are located in California. They have a very small amount of employees. I wouldn't be surprised if this company belongs to a larger, known computer company. You know, like Metro belongs to T-Mobile, etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/evoo-products

22 minutes ago, spacelordmaster said:

EVOO is a relatively new company. According to this, they have only been in business since 2018 and they are located in California. They have a very small amount of employees. I wouldn't be surprised if this company belongs to a larger, known computer company. You know, like Metro belongs to T-Mobile, etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/evoo-products

https://www.evooproducts.com/

I mean, I don't want to judge a book by its cover but they practically invite it:

Thats when I mouse over contact.

image.thumb.png.6d1e774744ad8b0dd3dbad5a14edcdf1.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spacelordmaster said:

True. It could also be an error. You never know.

I'm sure its an error(s), but:

• There were multiple links like that.
  • There is no way to contact support.

I guess I am biased and believe your work should speak about your quality and that starts with public presentation. We are of course completely off topic. Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread.

I don't think to many knowledgeable tech users are going to buy an off brand laptop from Walmart.

11 hours ago, spacelordmaster said:

I bought one and I can tell you they are blazing fast. No joke.

Yep, any new laptop with similar specs out of the box will seem blazing fast. LOL

I have read a couple of reviews on the laptop and they were not exactly raving reviews.

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I'm sure its an error(s), but:

• There were multiple links like that.
  • There is no way to contact support.

I guess I am biased and believe your work should speak about your quality and that starts with public presentation. We are of course completely off topic. Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread.

You are fine. You are on topic still. The purpose of this thread is to find out all we can about them and my personal experience with it so far, which has been very good. 

2 minutes ago, Superuser said:

I don't think to many knowledgeable tech users are going to buy an off brand laptop from Walmart.

Yep, any new laptop with similar specs out of the box will seem blazing fast. LOL

I have read a couple of reviews on the laptop and they were not exactly raving reviews.

I have to disagree with you as BestBuy sells AMD laptops that are in this price range and they are slow as hell out of the box. Now, if you know how to work with Windows like I do, then you know how to configure it to run fast, which is what I did. 

Just FYI: This is the very first time I give a laptop from Walmart a chance. Not a fan of their electronics. So far, I can tell you the laptop is working as it should. Nothing bad to report....yet. I don't know what reviews you are referring to that are less than stellar because the reviews I read on their website are all excellent, except for a few people complaining about the sound not being loud enough. Well, sorry, but this is not a home theater 3D speaker system. It's an Ultra-Slim laptop with decent hardware specs that costs $479.00, not $1,000.00. What the hell were they expecting? Virtual Reality sound to come out of it? Come on.

1 hour ago, spacelordmaster said:

I have to disagree with you as BestBuy sells AMD laptops that are in this price range and they are slow as hell out of the box. Now, if you know how to work with Windows like I do, then you know how to configure it to run fast, which is what I did. 

I am not sure you read my comment...  I said any laptop with similar SPECS should be "blazing fast" out of the box. I said nothing about price as it is a good deal based on specs to price ratio. The issue is a off brand laptop from an OEM with a zero to poor support record from Walmart. No thanks...

You know the "configuration" you should be doing to a new a laptop is to do a clean install of Windows right?

2 hours ago, Superuser said:

You know the "configuration" you should be doing to a new a laptop is to do a clean install of Windows right?

And what do you think I did sir? 🤣 - Exactly that!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Superuser said:

The issue is a off brand laptop from an OEM with a zero to poor support record from Walmart. No thanks...

Known manufacturers aren't any better. Look at the laptop reviews from HP, Lenovo, Dell laptops. ALL manufacturers have flaws. It's a hit and miss with them all. The HP Stream is a good example of an absolute garbage laptop. Walmart has had more of those returned than anything. If the laptop and who makes it scares you that much, then get the 3 year extended warranty for $79.00 and that's it. If it dies on you, Walmart will replace it with a new one. 

I have learned over the years not to judge a book by its cover. Just because something is of brand name and expensive doesn't mean it's a good product.