Just built my first pc, it worked for a bit but now it won't turn on.

CREEEEEEEEED

I just built my first PC. I took the Ssd out of my old pc, plugged it into the new one, it turned on, and I played in VR for a bit (oculus link said the new pc wasn't up to recommended specs, but I selected the parts to handle at least the minimum). I played for about half an hour, then the PC crashed. I turned it off, then it wouldn't turn back on. I unplugged it from the wall, left it for a bit, then came back, it turned on, crashed as it was booting up and windows automatically collected the crash data and said it would restart. Now it just won't boot. The mouse, which has some kind of rbg, isn't displaying any light, neither is the all caps light working on the keyboard. Everything is connected just how it was. I removed the ssd and it still won't even go to bios. I've tried the hdmi cable into the gpu and the mobo, nothing, apart from the mouse giving off strobe lighting for a few seconds when the hdmi cable is plugged in. All that happens when I turn on the PC is the light on the motherboard comes on, and the fans spin up, and a light flashes on the Gpu. No boot, but there's definitely power going to the components.

The gpu fan spins for a bit then stops when the PC is turned on, while the other fans carry on spinning

Everything is brand new:

tuf b450m-plus mobo

gigabyte amd radeon 5600 XT GPU 

amd ryzen 5 3600 X CPU

corsair TX850M so I doubt there's a lack of power.

Corsair vengeance LPX ddr4, 2x8GB

Mockingbird

Reset the CMOS

CREEEEEEEEED

Not the CMOS, I just swapped out the gpu for the one in my old pc, it went straight to bios. So I guess my GPU just went poop. 

Jim K
25 minutes ago, CREEEEEEEEED said:

I just built my first PC. I took the Ssd out of my old pc, plugged it into the new one, it turned on, and I played in VR for a bit (oculus link said the new pc wasn't up to recommended specs, but I selected the parts to handle at least the minimum). I played for about half an hour, then the PC crashed. I turned it off, then it wouldn't turn back on. I unplugged it from the wall, left it for a bit, then came back, it turned on, crashed as it was booting up and windows automatically collected the crash data and said it would restart. Now it just won't boot. The mouse, which has some kind of rbg, isn't displaying any light, neither is the all caps light working on the keyboard. Everything is connected just how it was. I removed the ssd and it still won't even go to bios. I've tried the hdmi cable into the gpu and the mobo, nothing, apart from the mouse giving off strobe lighting for a few seconds when the hdmi cable is plugged in. All that happens when I turn on the PC is the light on the motherboard comes on, and the fans spin up, and a light flashes on the Gpu. No boot, but there's definitely power going to the components.

The gpu fan spins for a bit then stops when the PC is turned on, while the other fans carry on spinning

Everything is brand new:

tuf b450m-plus mobo

gigabyte amd radeon 5600 XT GPU 

amd ryzen 5 3600 X CPU

corsair TX850M so I doubt there's a lack of power.

Corsair vengeance LPX ddr4, 2x8GB

Just a couple of things:

I've tried the hdmi cable into the gpu and the mobo

Don't worry about plugging the monitor into the motherboard ... the 3600x does not have an internal GPU thus you will not get any video from the motherboard.

The gpu fan spins for a bit then stops

That is normal ... the GPU runs passively until a certain temp is hit and then the fans spin up.

_____

It doesn't post at all ... not even to the BIOS?  

Since this particular motherboard doesn't have any diagnostic LEDs onboard ... do you have a case speaker hooked up?  Does it give any beeps? 

As already stated ... clear the CMOS (page 1-3 on the manual).  

If that doesn't work .. you may need to start disassembling things.  Maybe reseat the GPU or try a different one (if available).  Reseat the RAM ... check cables ... etc.  Having a system speaker would help in clarifying what the motherboard is complaining about.

CREEEEEEEEED

I did all that stuff, then swapped out the gpu, and it went to bios no issues, so clearly the gpu is dead,  I'll just have to get a refund and a new gpu. Thanks for the input. 

• Like 1
+trag3dy

I would actually start with the ssd in this case because it's the only thing coming from the old pc.

Did you do a clean install or just swap it over?

+trag3dy
2 minutes ago, CREEEEEEEEED said:

I did all that stuff, then swapped out the gpu, and it went to bios no issues, so clearly the gpu is dead,  I'll just have to get a refund and a new gpu. Thanks for the input. 

Try plugging your monitor directly into the motherboard. It has an hdmi port on it.

CREEEEEEEEED
2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

I would actually start with the ssd in this case because it's the only thing coming from the old pc.

Did you do a clean install or just swap it over?

I just swapped it over. 

+trag3dy
Just now, CREEEEEEEEED said:

I just swapped it over. 

That's a bit of a problem because your old pc will have an entire different list of drivers. All of which are probably outdated and worse incompatible with your new hardware.

You should never just outright swap an OS drive from one pc to another and expect it to work correctly.

Jim K
Just now, trag3dy said:

Try plugging your monitor directly into the motherboard. It has an hdmi port on it.

The Ryzen 3600X doesn't have a GPU ... he won't get any video out of the motherboard.

Seems like he has resolved the issue anyway and narrowed it down to the 5600XT being bad.

CREEEEEEEEED
2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

That's a bit of a problem because your old pc will have an entire different list of drivers. All of which are probably outdated and worse incompatible with your new hardware.

You should never just outright swap an OS drive from one pc to another and expect it to work correctly.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely do that now. Although to be fair to the PC, it did work for half an hour. Maybe that's what screwed it up, but I'm fairly confident it's the gpu that's ruined, as swapping it out essentially restored the PC and all the periferals to life. 

SnoopZ
32 minutes ago, CREEEEEEEEED said:

I just swapped it over. 

You can't just swap it over and expect no issues!

Do a fresh install even if it's not the problem.

Mindovermaster
49 minutes ago, Jim K said:

The Ryzen 3600X doesn't have a GPU ... he won't get any video out of the motherboard.

Seems like he has resolved the issue anyway and narrowed it down to the 5600XT being bad.

Actually, the correct term is APU. I'm just technical like that... 😛

Jim K
14 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Actually, the correct term is APU. I'm just technical like that... 😛

No, you're just being annoying.

• Haha 1