Should I let Windows Update this Driver from Windows Update Optional area?

Wondering if i should go ahead and update this Intel-SoftwareComponent via Windows Update

Posting to Make sure i don't install something i shouldn't lol,   getting used to the way Windows Update handles drivers update still now lol

Optional Driver Update.jpg

5 hours ago, bikeman25 said:

Wondering if i should go ahead and update this Intel-SoftwareComponent via Windows Update

You don't need to install it at this time. That's why it is under "optional updates." ;) From what I could find, it looks like it is related to i3 and i5 processor chips, and seeing as your signature says you have i7 chips that is probably why it is under the optional updates section.

Oh Ok Thank you,  then leaves it alone, and doesn't worry on it,  and yes both my systems are I7 based chips.     

Some of those optional updates it's been showing are totally wacked out lately. I have one for this computer for a HP printer that I don't have and never have had. Not even the same family of printers. Luckily, it won't install. Didn't really pay attention to that fact when I first saw it as there were a few other optional updates that day. Had an update for network card that was way older than current one on another computer but that optional update went away on it's own.

Is there a way to make it so that printer driver quits showing up?

3 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Some of those optional updates it's been showing are totally wacked out lately. I have one for this computer for a HP printer that I don't have and never have had. Not even the same family of printers. Luckily, it won't install. Didn't really pay attention to that fact when I first saw it as there were a few other optional updates that day. Had an update for network card that was way older than current one on another computer but that optional update went away on it's own.

Is there a way to make it so that printer driver quits showing up?

Uninstall the driver on your computer that’s being identified as such and that will go away. 🙂

Windows Update does not and cannot differentiate between devices used and drivers installed.  

What brand of computer is it? HP used to preload a ton of their printer drivers on OEM machines. 

This is a Custom built PC,  Custom built by local shop in 2020,   Gigabyte B460M-DS3H/Intel 10700 Processor,  Windows 10 Pro x64,  HP Envy 4520 printer as well..   I just didn't know what the heck that went to, so didn't install it as yet, system running great otherwise lol

On 09/10/2020 at 15:38, adrynalyne said:

Uninstall the driver on your computer that’s being identified as such and that will go away. 🙂

Windows Update does not and cannot differentiate between devices used and drivers installed.  

What brand of computer is it? HP used to preload a ton of their printer drivers on OEM machines. 

Kind of strange.

It "knows" what hardware is installed... see e.g.: About > Device specifications, Device Manager etc etc

So, why not "differentiate" on that info and come up with only the right and correct one... I also see this on my gaming machine. It's annoying.

2 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Kind of strange.

It "knows" what hardware is installed... see e.g.: About > Device specifications, Device Manager etc etc

So, why not "differentiate" on that info and come up with only the right and correct one... I also see this on my gaming machine. It's annoying.

Because what if a device is currently unplugged or turned off? Should you never get driver updates in those situations?

28 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Because what if a device is currently unplugged or turned off? Should you never get driver updates in those situations?

When the device is plugged in and turned on the device driver will be loaded into memory otherwise it won't be, so therefore doesn't matter if it doesn't get updated until it's plugged in and turned on

14 minutes ago, Ready2018 said:

When the device is plugged in and turned on the device driver will be loaded into memory otherwise it won't be, so therefore doesn't matter if it doesn't get updated until it's plugged in and turned on

You missed my point. See my previous posts. That’s now how WU works apparently.

AFAIK, WU has never triggered upon turning on or connecting a device, so that scenario would  never play out. 

Edited by adrynalyne

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

You missed my point. See my previous posts. That’s now how WU works apparently.

AFAIK, WU has never triggered upon turning on or connecting a device, so that scenario would  never play out. 

The only thing that has now changed is that you will get notified of any driver updates, where before unless you went into device manager and manually selected each device and updated each one you would never know it had an update, technically they have just put it back to the days of XP

2 hours ago, Ready2018 said:

The only thing that has now changed is that you will get notified of any driver updates, where before unless you went into device manager and manually selected each device and updated each one you would never know it had an update, technically they have just put it back to the days of XP

You again missed my whole point.  You are arguing a what-if scenario that isn’t even a thing, never has been, and wasn’t the point to begin with. 

• 1 month later...

I still am confused :blink: as to why Microsoft/Windows 10 keeps bugging me with these Optional Updates. Today there are presented. What's for tomorrow in store?

What to do with it? Install them, or - when no issues are present, or at least noticeable - just let them be? Why are they shown? And, besides the wushowhide-tool, how to get rid of 'em?

Screenshot is made on another notebook of mine, the VivoBook.

neowin-optional.jpg

I've just recently disabled driver updates from WU through the registry personally and rely on the free version of iOBit Driver Booster to update drivers on occasion (excluding the GPU driver which I do through the Nvidia/AMD Control Panel apps)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Windows Update is just too inconsistent on what versions it pushes out for some drivers IMO

16 hours ago, Brandon H said:

I've just recently disabled driver updates from WU through the registry personally and rely on the free version of iOBit Driver Booster to update drivers on occasion (excluding the GPU driver which I do through the Nvidia/AMD Control Panel apps)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Windows Update is just too inconsistent on what versions it pushes out for some drivers IMO

Thx. That helped.

But... is there a way to turn off the notification *Some settings are managed by your organization ?? (Yes, I know I altered these settings; don't keep reminding on it :D)

neowin-optional2.jpg

7 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Thx. That helped.

But... is there a way to turn off the notification *Some settings are managed by your organization ?? (Yes, I know I altered these settings; don't keep reminding on it :D)

neowin-optional2.jpg

that will show if you did the change by Group Policy Object (GPO) but not if you do the registry method.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

that will show if you did the change by Group Policy Object (GPO) but not if you do the registry method.

Thx. Registry method has been implemented :D

19 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I disabled Windows Update driver management because it kept on installing Nvidia 432.00 drivers over much newer ones.

similar thing for me except with AMD and it kept breaking the AMD control panel app

11 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

So why is the Windows Update driver management so scr**ed up??

It keeps buggin' users with older drivers...

Yes because in some cases the WHQL driver overrides the (newer) non WHQL driver and as an added bonus, even if there is a newer WHQL driver but it hasn't been released via Windows Update, that will get overwritten too.

4 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

So why is the Windows Update driver management so scr**ed up??

It keeps buggin' users with older drivers...

it's mostly the fault of the companies that write the drivers. they don't submit their drivers for WHQL approval soon enough or for every driver version; and sometimes they don't set the version number or date correctly on their WHQL drivers so the wrong one installs over whatever you have.

Microsoft has been trying to improve the system but it relies heavily on what is submitted to them.

Windows has had and shown optimal updates for years, I don't see how this is a issue for some? 

I just ignore them, they'll go away, or if not and something is wrong with my system in the future then I can check the list and see if something there can fix it. 

Also, and not to brag, but I've never ran into these weird driver problems with WU trying to install something over something newer. 

40 minutes ago, George P said:

Windows has had and shown optimal updates for years, I don't see how this is a issue for some? 

I just ignore them, they'll go away, or if not and something is wrong with my system in the future then I can check the list and see if something there can fix it. 

Also, and not to brag, but I've never ran into these weird driver problems with WU trying to install something over something newer. 

Good for you :) but this does not mean that others haven't had those issues, in fact your comment comes over as dismissive :unsure:  it is actually widely known about the Nvidia driver if you look on their community support forums.

You also say "you ignore them" so it's obvious why you don't get issues then.

If you let Windows manage third party software and drivers the older Nvidia driver can install over a newer one, that isn't even optional anymore, I and many others have this exact problem.