Should I let Windows Update this Driver from Windows Update Optional area?

bikeman25

Wondering if i should go ahead and update this Intel-SoftwareComponent via Windows Update

Posting to Make sure i don't install something i shouldn't lol,   getting used to the way Windows Update handles drivers update still now lol

Optional Driver Update.jpg

Nick H.
5 hours ago, bikeman25 said:

Wondering if i should go ahead and update this Intel-SoftwareComponent via Windows Update

You don't need to install it at this time. That's why it is under "optional updates." ;) From what I could find, it looks like it is related to i3 and i5 processor chips, and seeing as your signature says you have i7 chips that is probably why it is under the optional updates section.

bikeman25

Oh Ok Thank you,  then leaves it alone, and doesn't worry on it,  and yes both my systems are I7 based chips.     

cork1958

Some of those optional updates it's been showing are totally wacked out lately. I have one for this computer for a HP printer that I don't have and never have had. Not even the same family of printers. Luckily, it won't install. Didn't really pay attention to that fact when I first saw it as there were a few other optional updates that day. Had an update for network card that was way older than current one on another computer but that optional update went away on it's own.

Is there a way to make it so that printer driver quits showing up?

adrynalyne
3 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Some of those optional updates it's been showing are totally wacked out lately. I have one for this computer for a HP printer that I don't have and never have had. Not even the same family of printers. Luckily, it won't install. Didn't really pay attention to that fact when I first saw it as there were a few other optional updates that day. Had an update for network card that was way older than current one on another computer but that optional update went away on it's own.

Is there a way to make it so that printer driver quits showing up?

Uninstall the driver on your computer that’s being identified as such and that will go away. 🙂

Windows Update does not and cannot differentiate between devices used and drivers installed.  

What brand of computer is it? HP used to preload a ton of their printer drivers on OEM machines. 

bikeman25

This is a Custom built PC,  Custom built by local shop in 2020,   Gigabyte B460M-DS3H/Intel 10700 Processor,  Windows 10 Pro x64,  HP Envy 4520 printer as well..   I just didn't know what the heck that went to, so didn't install it as yet, system running great otherwise lol

kiddingguy
On 09/10/2020 at 15:38, adrynalyne said:

Uninstall the driver on your computer that’s being identified as such and that will go away. 🙂

Windows Update does not and cannot differentiate between devices used and drivers installed.  

What brand of computer is it? HP used to preload a ton of their printer drivers on OEM machines. 

Kind of strange.

It "knows" what hardware is installed... see e.g.: About > Device specifications, Device Manager etc etc

So, why not "differentiate" on that info and come up with only the right and correct one... I also see this on my gaming machine. It's annoying.

Ready2018

I believe that driver updates have been moved from device manager to optional updates

adrynalyne
2 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Kind of strange.

It "knows" what hardware is installed... see e.g.: About > Device specifications, Device Manager etc etc

So, why not "differentiate" on that info and come up with only the right and correct one... I also see this on my gaming machine. It's annoying.

Because what if a device is currently unplugged or turned off? Should you never get driver updates in those situations?

Ready2018
28 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Because what if a device is currently unplugged or turned off? Should you never get driver updates in those situations?

When the device is plugged in and turned on the device driver will be loaded into memory otherwise it won't be, so therefore doesn't matter if it doesn't get updated until it's plugged in and turned on

adrynalyne
14 minutes ago, Ready2018 said:

When the device is plugged in and turned on the device driver will be loaded into memory otherwise it won't be, so therefore doesn't matter if it doesn't get updated until it's plugged in and turned on

You missed my point. See my previous posts. That’s now how WU works apparently.

AFAIK, WU has never triggered upon turning on or connecting a device, so that scenario would  never play out. 

Edited by adrynalyne
Ready2018
1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

You missed my point. See my previous posts. That’s now how WU works apparently.

AFAIK, WU has never triggered upon turning on or connecting a device, so that scenario would  never play out. 

The only thing that has now changed is that you will get notified of any driver updates, where before unless you went into device manager and manually selected each device and updated each one you would never know it had an update, technically they have just put it back to the days of XP

adrynalyne
2 hours ago, Ready2018 said:

The only thing that has now changed is that you will get notified of any driver updates, where before unless you went into device manager and manually selected each device and updated each one you would never know it had an update, technically they have just put it back to the days of XP

You again missed my whole point.  You are arguing a what-if scenario that isn’t even a thing, never has been, and wasn’t the point to begin with.