Average life span of a notebook & what about a 6,5 yr notebook?

kiddingguy

Just a question... I have an Asus N750JV notebook from February 2014 (so 6,5 years old). Very intensely used.

For some reason it shuts & powers down immediately lately. I can power it on and it boots again without hickups.

I recently cleaned the fans etc. Driver issues, like nvidia's from 2019, and the latest Windows 10 May 2020 update in combination with this older hardware can of course also be the cause here.

Or is the more hardware related? And it this one slowly dying on me... and can I better look for a new one?

Maybe it's just "bad luck" and I can use this notebook for several more months (years?)?!

What do you guys think?

Mindovermaster

I have a Dell Vostro 15 from way back in 2005. It still works, but the CPU keeps spiking for some reason.

You might have a failing battery, as they do go bad after a while.

kiddingguy
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have a Dell Vostro 15 from way back in 2005. It still works, but the CPU keeps spiking for some reason.

You might have a failing battery, as they do go bad after a while.

Ehhm... I got myself for this notebook in February in new battery :/

Is there some battery check software for this? Because maybe this one has issues and is still under warranty.

Mindovermaster
17 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Ehhm... I got myself for this notebook in February in new battery :/

Is there some battery check software for this? Because maybe this one has issues and is still under warranty.

You can check it with a multimeter, or just go to a store like Battey+ (or the like) They should be able to test the battery.

goretsky

Hello,

Did you remove the CPU heat sink, clean it, and apply a fresh layer of thermal paste?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky