How to access a Windows shared drive on a 2019 Macbook Pro?

jebus197

Sorry if this is something very basic, but having read around lots of places and having become very confused, I thought I would try my luck on Neowin. I went through all the steps to access my Windows shared drive on my Macbook Pro, I set up sharing on my Windows machine, checked I could access the drive on another networked windows machine, went to the Mac, connected it to the same workgroup (which was just called MYHOME). rebooted the Mac (even though it didn't ask me to), went to the network section in Finder and .... Nada ... Nothing. Nothing there at all. 

Has anyone got any ideas? Have I missed something?

adrynalyne
3 hours ago, jebus197 said:

Sorry if this is something very basic, but having read around lots of places and having become very confused, I thought I would try my luck on Neowin. I went through all the steps to access my Windows shared drive on my Macbook Pro, I set up sharing on my Windows machine, checked I could access the drive on another networked windows machine, went to the Mac, connected it to the same workgroup (which was just called MYHOME). rebooted the Mac (even though it didn't ask me to), went to the network section in Finder and .... Nada ... Nothing. Nothing there at all. 

Has anyone got any ideas? Have I missed something?

Map it yourself. Click on desktop, go to menu, click ‘Go’ and connect to server. 
smb://machinename/sharename

jebus197
16 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Map it yourself. Click on desktop, go to menu, click ‘Go’ and connect to server. 
smb://machinename/sharename

Sorry, those options don't seem to be available in Windows, or my Macbook?

I got as far as clicking on the desktop, but there is no context menu item called 'go' on either platforms. Sorry if I'm being dumb.

adrynalyne
46 minutes ago, jebus197 said:

Sorry, those options don't seem to be available in Windows, or my Macbook?

I got as far as clicking on the desktop, but there is no context menu item called 'go' on either platforms. Sorry if I'm being dumb.

It’s not a context menu. Check your menu bar at the top. The point of clicking the desktop is to focus and show Finder menu bar. 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/connect-mac-shared-computers-servers-mchlp1140/mac

Connect to a computer or server by entering its address

In the Finder  on your Mac, choose Go > Connect to Server.

Type the network address for the computer or server in the Server Address field.