Install from the boot screen, like a Mac...

xMorpheousx416

Anyone here remember when MS was talking about this feature?

Being able to install Windows without a disk, stick, DVD.. just a net connection like the Mac?

Has anyone whose testing these new builds, 21H1 and beyond, hearing anything about it.. or did they just drop it like a bad marriage?

adrynalyne
9 minutes ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

Anyone here remember when MS was talking about this feature?

Being able to install Windows without a disk, stick, DVD.. just a net connection like the Mac?

Has anyone whose testing these new builds, 21H1 and beyond, hearing anything about it.. or did they just drop it like a bad marriage?

It seems like I heard of this, but I’m just not sure how they could do it without OEMs partnering up with them. Which would then make it potentially not available to builders. 

Brandon H
13 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

It seems like I heard of this, but I’m just not sure how they could do it without OEMs partnering up with them. Which would then make it potentially not available to builders. 

I don't think there'd be any need for OEM involvement unless they want to build it in directly to the UEFI on machines.

I'd like to see this implemented but I can't see MS ever doing it or at the very least pulling it off properly.

They'd just need a new key combo to hold that the boot loader would detect and redirect to the new network downloader or have it as an option in the 'Advanced' menu when you power on holding shift just like the Safe Mode option.

I could see it working just like the 'reset' option in settings except it would reach out to the MS servers for the image to use for the reset/reinstall and without the need to actually be able to fully boot and log into the user account.

dfuk

Installing from the cloud is under the reset menu in 20h2.

I used it yesterday to reset ie wipe a machine that was not booting properly

Edited by dfuk
  • Like 1
Brandon H
12 minutes ago, dfuk said:

ah nice; so I guess it is coming once 20H2 comes out (Y)

adrynalyne
1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

I don't think there'd be any need for OEM involvement unless they want to build it in directly to the UEFI on machines.

I'd like to see this implemented but I can't see MS ever doing it or at the very least pulling it off properly.

They'd just need a new key combo to hold that the boot loader would detect and redirect to the new network downloader or have it as an option in the 'Advanced' menu when you power on holding shift just like the Safe Mode option.

I could see it working just like the 'reset' option in settings except it would reach out to the MS servers for the image to use for the reset/reinstall and without the need to actually be able to fully boot and log into the user account.

If there is no OS and they want a macOS like experience, it has to be built into UEFI. No other way to do it. Macs do not use the drive for this feature. 

54 minutes ago, dfuk said:

Can you actually format and repartition the drive?

xMorpheousx416

Yes.. the ability to do a fresh install has always been in the Reset settings...however, rumor had it you'd be able to do this via the F8 start options during boot.

True.. since OSX, the Mac's serial number and BIOS information was used to install the original OS to that computer should it have completely failed to repair, or you replaced your main drive. Those options were there at boot with a quick set of key presses after the first beep. 

This can be done with MS.. I mean, your login email /password combination already keeps your digital activation on file, it can keep your install key as well. During the first set of install screens, MS can ask if you wish to store your activation /key data in the BIOS if ever needed. 

So.. basically, the answer is yes and no. Yes you can install 10 from the cloud, no you cannot get a "Mac like" experience. I've done a reset before on one machine, and the answer to "can you reformat or repartition the drive"? .. I couldn't. It was a straight up clean install from ESD.

• Like 1