Uncharted (2021)

Here's a first look at Tom Holland as Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie

And Nolan North's been on set too.

As hard as it is to believe, the long-in-the-works Uncharted movie is, after almost a decade in pre-production and seven directors later, finally go; and with shooting now underway, the internet has been given a first glimpse of Tom Holland in the lead role.

Source and more

IMDB Link

I'm not expecting anything amazing from this. When I first saw the photo of Tom Holland I thought, "nuh-uh, nope." Looking at it again though I guess there is a decent resemblance. Even though he's supposed to be a young Nathan, he could still do with some time in the gym to bulk up a bit; he looks too skinny.

We discussed this a couple of years back when they released a fan-film, but I figure this thread can be about news on the official film. I still think they should have got Nathan Fillion and not bothered with a "younger years" story. :p

I don't get why they went with him, he's still too young for the role IMO.   But then if you think about it, it's Sony, they're banking on his name to help push the non-video game audience to maybe go see it.    I've set my expectations low, I'd say this movie is at least 5 years late, if not longer.

8 hours ago, Nick H. said:

We discussed this a couple of years back when they released a fan-film, but I figure this thread can be about news on the official film. I still think they should have got Nathan Fillion and not bothered with a "younger years" story. :p

Yes that would have been perfect!!!   thanks, i cannot even remember if i seen this short before, but it was nice to watch.

9 hours ago, George P said:

I don't get why they went with him, he's still too young for the role IMO.   But then if you think about it, it's Sony, they're banking on his name to help push the non-video game audience to maybe go see it.    I've set my expectations low, I'd say this movie is at least 5 years late, if not longer.

I'm not sure about that. Maybe it's because I absolutely loved the series (1-4), but they could release another main game with Nathan and I'd be right back in the story. I admit that I didn't bother with Lost Legacy since it didn't follow Nathan. And also, something that Hiddleston said about the film being an origin story makes sense:

"I think what Uncharted offers that most video games films don't is that it's an origin story to the games," Holland said at the time. "So if you played the games, you haven't seen what's going to happen in the film," he said. "And if you haven't played the games, you're going to enjoy the film because it's information that everyone else is getting at the same time."

Source (including Mark Wahlberg's moustache)

But I agree that I'm not setting any high expectations. At least that way I can be pleasantly surprised.

31 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm not sure about that. Maybe it's because I absolutely loved the series (1-4), but they could release another main game with Nathan and I'd be right back in the story. I admit that I didn't bother with Lost Legacy since it didn't follow Nathan. And also, something that Hiddleston said about the film being an origin story makes sense:

Source (including Mark Wahlberg's moustache)

But I agree that I'm not setting any high expectations. At least that way I can be pleasantly surprised.

I'd say it's late because the hype has undoubtedly died down from what it was around the time of Uncharted 4.  You strike when the irons hot, as they say.    Fans of the video games such as yourself will jump on a new entry into the franchise, sure, but that's a new game and we're talking about a movie.   Making it a prequel is, ok, personally I don't much care for prequels at all.   And besides, the flashback sequence in U4 is all the prequel/origin story I need.  I think we all get the gist of things between that flashback and the start of the first game.

9 minutes ago, George P said:

And besides, the flashback sequence in U4 is all the prequel/origin story I need.  I think we all get the gist of things between that flashback and the start of the first game.

That crossed my mind as well when I heard it was an origin story. "Hang on, I already know how he got started..."

I guess in that respect it's not going to be an origin story so much as it'll just be his first big adventure. I guess it'll be after Columbia (when Nate and Sully first met) but not too long after that?

Tom doesn't have a gruff enough look for Nathan IMO. The only way it would work is if they're going much earlier in Nathan's life but that's pushing it a bit as well IMO

57 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Tom doesn't have a gruff enough look for Nathan IMO. The only way it would work is if they're going much earlier in Nathan's life but that's pushing it a bit as well IMO

Yeah, I mentioned that he needs to bulk up a bit in my opinion. But now you mention "gruff" it's made me think: I can't imagine Holland imitating Nolan North's voice for Drake. I think his pitch is too high, even for a young Drake. :/

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Yeah, I mentioned that he needs to bulk up a bit in my opinion. But now you mention "gruff" it's made me think: I can't imagine Holland imitating Nolan North's voice for Drake. I think his pitch is too high, even for a young Drake. :/

yeah the biggest defining factors of Nathan to me are the gruff deep voice and the beard; and Tom I can't see hitting either of those points right now in his life.

2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

yeah the biggest defining factors of Nathan to me are the gruff deep voice and the beard; and Tom I can't see hitting either of those points right now in his life.

That's why they're going with the prequel idea,  to account for the younger age for him, but really it's studio marketing at play.  Sony has a hot up and coming star thanks to spiderman, and the fans know the name well.  Star power helps push tickets to movies, that's always been the case.

If they had went with some new unknown actor who better fit the games etc, then that would've meant the studio had more faith in the movie.  That often comes down to the director, this movie seems to be hollywood by the numbers IMO.

3 minutes ago, George P said:

If they had went with some new unknown actor who better fit the games etc...

*Cough* Nathan Fillion *Cough* :p

Added bonus being that he isn't exactly unknown. But I think you're right, they've got Holland through Spiderman and they want to run with him. Oh well...

10 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

*Cough* Nathan Fillion *Cough* :p

Added bonus being that he isn't exactly unknown. But I think you're right, they've got Holland through Spiderman and they want to run with him. Oh well...

Nathan fits perfect but, then we'd be talking about his age as being too old, he's 49 atm, so maybe borderline?   Oh well, like you said.  

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2021 at 12:46, Orange said:

There is something i don't like about Tom playing this one. Just think too much of Spiderman.

I love Tom but he just doesn't give me the Nathan Drake feel, even being they're going for a younger version of Nathan.

I haven't seen any actual footage yet though, just freeze frames like this so I'll hold final judgement till I can see him in action with the roll.

On 03/11/2021 at 17:51, Brandon H said:

I love Tom but he just doesn't give me the Nathan Drake feel, even being they're going for a younger version of Nathan.

I haven't seen any actual footage yet though, just freeze frames like this so I'll hold final judgement till I can see him in action with the roll.

Did you see the Nathan Fillion version, that was out of this world and best fitted into the world of Uncharted in my humble opinon.

On 03/11/2021 at 19:51, Brandon H said:

They're going with a younger version since this is a prequel to all the games.  Suppose it's a easy way for them to avoid any sort of pushback from the game fans complaining about differences.