Fedora & Gainward

Hi, I'm new to Linux and I'm having problems getting my soundcard to work. I've looked on a number of sites and searched Google but I can't find any drivers for my soundcard. Fedora's "Soundcard Detection" thing reports that it can't find any sound cards. It works correctly when I'm in XP. What do I have to do to enable it?

Details of my system:

Fedora Core 1, Soundcard is Gainward Hollywood@Home 7.1, I have not updated or played with the kernel or any settings (I don't know what I'm doing).

Also, is there a way to find out the current IP address/gateway/subnet mask?

Thanks from a newbie :blush:

Andy

To find out your IP, perhaps the best way is to open up a terminal (sometimes called console or shell), and type /sbin/ifconfig.

Let me look for that other info that you are seeking answers on....

Hmmm...

A check of http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+site%3Againward.com shows documents that they support Linux... But I can't find any specifics on your card from there... :no:

Unfortunately (but fortunately for me!) I have not had a problem with audio on the PCs I have loaded with Linux, so I don't know how to proceed from here. :(

Keep watching this thread, as someone is bound to have more insight than I do, and come up with good suggestions!

Mark

OK, well I've now tried installing ALSA. I think it all has gone OK, because kudzu configured the device when i started up and it is now listed on the "Audio Devices" thingy. However even though i've put all the bars up in the Alsa mixer, I can't hear a sound when i press the test button or in any other program.

It says Vendor : IC Ensemble Ltd, Model : Ice 1724 [envy24 ht] Modules : Snd-ice1724

It's possible that the alsa-oss compatibilty mixer is muted. Try adjusting the bars in your oss mixer program (kde or gnome volume control).

Also make sure the alsasound service is running so your mixer settings save and restore properly.

When I click the Gnome volume control it says something about /dev/something being missing. I can't remember right now because I have to boot back into windows to use the internet.

A missing /dev/dsp is usually because the alsa-oss compatability layer isn't set up correctly.

First try:

modprobe snd-pcm-oss

If it says module not found then you don't have alsa-oss support and need to install it.

If it gives you unresolved symbols don't worry about it, it's fine.

Then, make sure you have these lines in the file /etc/modules.conf

# OSS/Free portion

alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss

alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

#Alsa

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

alias snd-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

Replace snd-emu10k1 with the name of the module your sound card uses. Run the command lsmod to find it.

Restart the alsasound service and give it a try.