Unboxing  When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

Surface Pro X (Platinum with Microsoft SQ2 processor) unboxing and first impressions

Earlier this month, Microsoft announced some new configurations of its Surface Pro X tablet, just don't call it the Surface Pro X 2. The main reason for this is because there are only two changes: you can now get it in a Platinum color instead of just black, and it comes with a Microsoft SQ2 processor.

Let's start with the new Platinum color, which is way sexier than I expected. I didn't expect to like it more than black, as Platinum has always been the standard color for Surfaces. This one blew me away though, possibly because it's made out of aluminum instead of magnesium.

The Microsoft SQ2 processor is based on the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2, just like the SQ1 was based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx. However, the 8cx Gen 2 in itself isn't a significant upgrade from the 8cx, and that's why this device doesn't merit the title of Surface Pro X 2. It's basically an SQ1 with a higher clock speed, although I'm still happy to see Microsoft bringing the best that there is to market.

In case you're wondering, there's actually a reason that the 8cx Gen 2 is such a minor upgrade over the 8cx, especially since the announcements for the two products were 20 months apart. Qualcomm is trying to reduce the amount of time between announcement and shipment. Remember, while the 8cx was announced nearly two years ago, it was almost a year before it was actually shipping in any products.

Another thing that I can't forget to mention is that the new Surface Pro X comes with new accessories. Previously only available in black, the Surface Keyboard now comes in Platinum, Ice Blue, and Poppy Red.

Report a problem with article
Xbox Series X on wooden shelf with controller
Next Article

Unboxing the beast: The Xbox Series X is here

Steam library with an assortment of games
Previous Article

Weekend PC Game Deals: Halloween season kicks into high gear