M.2 SSD Scew Will not Fit

I just purchased a Samsung M.2 SSD, and I had no trouble inserting it, but when I tried to screw it down with the screws that were included with my motherboard, the screw would not go in at all. This is the only bag of screws that were included with the motherboard, and in the manual it says one of them is a M.2 Screw. Unless this isn't the right one, I don't know what else to do or why the screw won't tighten. Any help is appreciated

Motherboard Model : Asus Maximus VIII Hero

Picture of included screws with Motherboard

20201102_162252-min.jpg

20201102_162220-min.jpg

Not sure why that screw doesn't fit since it came with board, but I did find out that there are two different types of standoffs and screw kits, at least in my case.

Asus and MSI: https://www.microcenter.com/product/510551/micro-connectors-m2-ssd-mounting-screws-kit

MSI and Gigabyte: https://www.microcenter.com/product/600435/micro-connectors-m2-ssd-mounting-screws-kit

On a side note.  Not sure why both of them have MSI listed.  But I do know that I bought one kit, and couldn't get it to work in my motherboard (Gigabyte).  Bought the other kit and it was fine.

Since you already have the standoff, it's just a matter of finding the right screw.  

This is a listing on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-M-2-NVMe-SSD-SCREW-for-ROG-MAXIMUS-VII-VIII-IX-X-XI-GENE-FORMUAL-EXTRE/293140859219

Not sure if your board has the standoffs or not.  Mine did not, but others I have DID have the standoff and screw included.  My old one might have had it in box at one point, and I just didn't need it at the time and lost it.

Edited by farmeunit

You sure that is the right one?  Thought it was silver...plus it should have a standoff.  

Take a look at this video (mute the audio/annoying music) about 5:30 

On the motherboard, there is a little silver washer/hole it looks like, and those were the only screws that came with my motherboard. When I talked to someone from Asus, they said the size of the screw is 2x3 mm

3 minutes ago, Sharpstick68 said:

On the motherboard, there is a little silver washer/hole it looks like, and those were the only screws that came with my motherboard. When I talked to someone from Asus, they said the size of the screw is 2x3 mm

You should have had a standoff as well. A lot of times those are already screwed into the motherboard. 

• Like 1

The motherboard has these things, the silver/round circle looking nut things. Do I have to unscrew that first, then screw the black scew in and then the silver one?

20201102_172157.jpg

Just now, Sharpstick68 said:

The motherboard has these things, the silver/round circle looking nut things. Do I have to unscrew that first, then screw the black scew in and then the silver one?

20201102_172157.jpg

Mmmm, maybe. What it should be is a small silver screw that goes into the thing. If you don’t have one, you can either order one or take the standoff out and use a larger thread. Ideally you would use the standoff though. 

30 minutes ago, Sharpstick68 said:

You should have had a standoff as well. A lot of times those are already screwed into the motherboard. Otherwise get a kit. 

266581F9-E68B-4C3F-A0E8-BEB08945E04B.jpeg

E8B15036-9645-45C1-8DE2-E13CC3AD3D5E.jpeg

You leave the silver standoff. Does the screw not thread at all or is it too short? Pull the drive out and look to see if there is a screw in the 2240 standoff.

I think I will try that, unscrewing the silver piece if it even unscrews that is..and then use the black screw? I don't know.

Also, I have these screws as well, but these are for my computer case..don't know if any of them would be good.

One other thing, if I can't get the ones that came with the motherboard to screw in..can I just order them from amazon? like is the size universal for M.2? or what size would I need

20201102_173223-min.jpg

44 minutes ago, Sharpstick68 said:

20201102_172157.jpg

yea, don't unscrew those.  They are for the standoff that should have been included with the board.  Maybe double check the box(if you still have it).  The standoff screws into that "nut" looking thing ... and then you use the silver screw (should be with the standoff) to tighten it down.

...and like I said, pull the drive and make sure there isn't a screw in the 2240 standoff.

Hello,

The screw in the first picture looks like an M2x4mm screw, used for mounting 2.5" drives.

If there is one screw in the bag that looks slightly-smaller than the others, that might be the screw used to lock the M.2 NVMe SSD down to its standoff.

Keep in mind that "M2" is a common screw size measurement used for all sorts of components in laptops.  On the other hand, "M.2" (with a period character in it) refers to the connectors and their associated hardware for SSDs, Wi-Fi cards and similar slotted devices.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

From what I saw on my mobo the tiny screws might be for keeping the m2 drive unbent rather than holding it.  I'm not 100% clear on that but it seemed like it (as my drives are currently slightly bent.)